How to install software on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pearsimmon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by Pearsimmon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:12 am

I have added "ppa:jonathonf/ffmpeg-4" since I want newer version of "ffmpeg" than the outdated one from Software Manager.
It contains several packages. I chose "ffmpeg" and it installed all dependencies automatically. Can I safely ignore the rest of the PPA's contents?

On a side note, why are many programs so outdated in the official manager anyway? I often had to resort to Flatpak versions just to have top functionality, but in the case of "ffmpeg" I had to add a new PPA (manager's version very outdated).

Then there is this program "FreeTube"... I can't find any PPAs, only Github source code. Is it possible to automate Github software updating or do I have to manually compile each time a new release comes out?

vikasvirdi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vikasvirdi » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:40 am

Thank you for the guidelines, I think I can install it now. Great help!

pascal111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pascal111 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:32 pm

I've read Linux Mint 17.3 User's guide for mate edition - https://linuxmint.com/documentation.php-, my current Linux on my PC is 19.1 mate, I've read about Software Center, Package Manager and "apt" command, I've read to the 1st post of this topic. I've no Internet connection now at home and I'm using another PC to invade internet, I want to install Gambas on my personal PC, so I can't use Software Center now, I'll download the package, I understood that in Linux we care about trusting sources for our Software, I searched in Ubuntu packages site and found these download choices like in this link:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/gambas3

Which one I've to download for Linux Mint ?
The sizes of Gambas 3 is so small although it's a graphical programming language environment and its equivalent in Windows, VB6 is about 300 MG, is it complete package for this programming language to download and trust?

tweetybird
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tweetybird » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks to all who put this together for us Newbies. Coming from 25 years in Windows and not knowing the Software Manager from the Synaptic Package Manager and how to download these packages has been instrumental. Great stuff and program and again most grateful to the people who have helped us with the learning curve.

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Sun May 26, 2019 4:21 am

xenopeek wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 am
Install multiple .deb packages: As an alternative to the previous "Install a .deb package" description, if you have multiple .deb files you want to install you can easily install them in one go. To do so, put all the .deb files you want to install in one folder. Then in your file manager (like Nautilus, Caja, Dolphin, or Thunar) browse to that folder and select File > Open Folder in Terminal from the menu. In the terminal type the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
You did not mention how to download multiple .deb packages.
apt-get install --print-uris abiword
It will show the direct download URLs.

sudo apt-get --download-only install abiword
It will download the .deb packages to this folder: /var/cache/apt/archives

johnnydel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnnydel » Thu May 30, 2019 6:57 am

Thanks for the answer... helped a lot

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 am

xenopeek wrote:
  1. Add a PPA repository:
I just found this article: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID1, which says:

1. Software from third-party repositories (like PPA's) and external .deb installers, is untested and unverified. Therefore it may damage the stability, the reliability and even the security of your system. It might even contain malware....

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 am
I just found this article: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... s.html#ID1, which says:

1. Software from third-party repositories (like PPA's) and external .deb installers, is untested and unverified. Therefore it may damage the stability, the reliability and even the security of your system. It might even contain malware....
Yes. This is true. Anything you wanted to know about this? There's no question here.

If you wanted to know 'how can it be that some people recommend adding a PPA while others say PPAs may be dangerous?' then the answer is that because it's true that some PPAs can be dangerous, you should always think carefully about whether you need them and whether they seem reliable to you. In case of doubt, just start a thread on the forum and ask about a particular PPA.

If Xenopeek recommends a specific PPA, I would personally add it without any worry.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 am

If I add a PPA just for a newer version of a piece of software whose older version is already available in Software Manager, will it be safe? If I only add PPAs from https://launchpad.net/, will it be safe?
So far, I have only added this: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pulb/mailnag
Its old version in Software Manager was buggy.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:46 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 am
xenopeek wrote:
  1. Add a PPA repository:
I just found this article:
Regarding PPAs, that's no secret, launchpad.net tells you that before you ever add one:
ppa-untrusted.png
Matthew_Wai wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 am
If I add a PPA just for a newer version of a piece of software whose older version is already available in Software Manager, will it be safe? If I only add PPAs from https://launchpad.net/, will it be safe?
So far, I have only added this: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pulb/mailnag
Its old version in Software Manager was buggy.
It comes down to whether you trust the PPA owner. In the mailnag case the PPA is owned by the author of the software, so if you trust the software you should be good. I don't know either so don't take this as an endorsement though. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:46 am
It comes down to whether you trust the PPA owner.
It is hard to determine whether a PPA owner, an online stranger (e.g. gm10, no offence), is trustworthy.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am
gm10 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:46 am
It comes down to whether you trust the PPA owner.
It is hard to determine whether a PPA owner, an online stranger (e.g. gm10, no offence), is trustworthy.
Exactly my point. That's why you should be careful with PPAs. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:57 am

<mod>
Help request on how to install amdgpu-pro by karozagorus moved into dedicated thread here
Help request on how to switch over from Windows 10 to Linux Mint by secinv moved into dedicated thread here
</mod>
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Return to “Newbie Questions”