[SOLVED] Strange Wireless Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ColdAudio

[SOLVED] Strange Wireless Problem

Post by ColdAudio »

I've been using Mint 12 for about 2 weeks now and everything has been great.

However, this morning, my wireless internet connection will not stay connected for more than a minute or two, and that's only after reboot.

When I use a wired connection to a Linksys WRT54G-L I have set up as a bridge using DD-WRT, the connection works without issue. I get assigned an IP address and the internet is significantly faster than through wireless (when it was working).

The only changes that have been made between yesterday and today were the installation of 3 nautilus updates last night around 7 PM. BUT after those updates, my wireless was working perfectly for the remainder of the night (until approx 11 PM).

I tried connecting through the Live CD thinking that it has all of the default drivers/packages that worked well for me at the start, but it won't even connect me to the wireless network at all.

I also tried using WICD in place of the Gnome network manager, but am having the same problem.

The last thing I tried was setting my phone up as a wireless hotspot but I'm unable to connect to that as well.

The laptop I'm using is a Toshiba M645-S4045

Any thoughts/ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jupiter_Spunk

Re: Strange Wireless Problem

Post by Jupiter_Spunk »

Band interference is a common issue these days. everyone has a wifi router and they are all set to channel 2 by default. Sometimes this can cause connection issues or inability to pull an IP, or transmit data.

Try changing the band or channel( in your router) and see if that allows a connection. you may need to change it in your bridge as well.

heres a wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
ColdAudio

Post by ColdAudio »

Thanks for the reply, I ended up changing the channel and setting it to transmit G-only... it's working for now :)
Jupiter_Spunk

Post by Jupiter_Spunk »

glad to hear it.

Please indicate [SOLVED]

Return to “Beginner Questions”