How do you install LM onto a netbook

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do you install LM onto a netbook

Post by pluraldave »

If you already have an Ubuntu-based installation you can use usb-creator. If you're using anything else Unetbootin works well.

You'll also need to download the Mint 10 LXDE iso.

RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RETNUH »

pluraldave wrote:If you already have an Ubuntu-based installation you can use usb-creator. If you're using anything else Unetbootin works well.
I use Unetbootin even on Mint.

Anyhow, Instead of going with LM10 LXDE I would go with LM 12 LXDE or LM 9 XFCE as they are supported until April of next year instead of April of this year like LM10.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.

pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pluraldave »

jacatone wrote:Does LM 9 XFCE automatically support wifi? I remember older versions of LM were impossible to configure wifi or ethernet.
You can't assume that an issue with your particular hardware is representative of Mint as a whole. All Mints generally have working networking out of the box, if that isn't the case then it is a specific problem with your hardware.

pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pluraldave »

If you choose the distribution option you would select Linux Mint.

If you've already downloaded the ISO you don't select any distribution, you select the ISO in the appropriate box.

RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RETNUH »

jacatone wrote:OK, would I select Ubuntu when using Unetbootin? Not quite sure how I go from WinXP to Linux Mint using this program.
As pluraldave said you choose the .iso option(this is the one you want as you won't be using the main LM edition). Then choose the location of your flash drive and choose install.

Once that is done you reboot your computer and choose to boot Mint. If you don't get the option you may need to edit your boot order in the BIOS(accessed via a function key(which key differs between computers)).

Once the live usb is booted you can install Mint. You may wish to look at some of the guides here in the newbie section for tips when installing.
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.

Return to “Newbie Questions”