Most Mint Friendly Video Drivers (Nvidia/ATI) dual monitors?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lotharjade
Level 2
Level 2

Most Mint Friendly Video Drivers (Nvidia/ATI) dual monitors?

Post by lotharjade »

What is the most Linux Mint friendly video driver set for Dual Monitors?? Is it Nvidia, ATI/AMD/Radeon, or something else? It is time I got a new video card to play games (Star Trek Online), and use for video and whatnot. Does one group or company support Linux Mint better with drivers than the other? Is one set or interface easier to use?

If there is a clear winner in that category, I would like to get sent down the easier road traveled if possible. I currently have been using the onboard video card of my Biostar 8200 motherboard, and have found it wanting (A LOT). Hopefully I can clear that headache away. I am looking for a $30-40 video card to put on my board to achieve happiness. Hopefully...
Have you tried turning it off and on again, then hitting it repeatedly? :/

kherring7383
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Most Mint Friendly Video Drivers (Nvidia/ATI) dual monit

Post by kherring7383 »

In the past, I have always been an user of ATI video cards for many years. But when it came to using Ubuntu or Mint it seems that many recommend Nvidia or a video card that incorporates an Nvidia chipset. Personally for me I use a Geforce 8500GT since I don't care much for games. For every new install of a different distro, the Nvidia card is detected and installs with no incidents. Once I have installed the OS, I also add the Nvidia settings manager app, (below) which allows access to the card's configuration settings such as temp, driver version and configuration options to optimize the cards performace .

nVidia Settings
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

I'm, sure that many may disagree but over the last several years the Nvidia cards I've used have all been supported by Linux and have been updated when a new driver is released. And speaking as a Test Engineer for the company I work for many of our customers all seem to choose Nvidia video cards over any other especially for their high-end multiple video card Linux Servers.

As far as a gamers card, I would suggest trying the Geforce 520GT with 1GB which sells for about $60 USD.

miteymitey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miteymitey »

Well, I can't tell you about new cards, but I've had two Nvidia GeForce cards that worked well on Linux, a 8600GT and a 9800GTX+. I never really thought about my cards much when it came to installing my first Linux Mint distro, I just decided to try Linux, chose Linux Mint, installed the program and it worked.
However, my most recent card, the 9800GTX+. just died and I've been shopping around for a new card. I found one I liked, an EVGA Geforce 550 Ti, but one of the reviewers stated he couldn't get it to work in Linux. I was a bit surprised to read that in as much as the card supports OpenGL, but that's what the reviewer said.
Guess I've got some more research to do. I'm not currently using Linux, but plan to start again as soon as I get my new rig set up. There are a few Linux programs I want to try that sound better than the Windows alternatives.
Anyway, good luck.
DIY Desktop.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

ATI has easy dual-head configuration through the default Monitors program (in System Settings). NVidia has their own program (NVidia X Server Settings) for the configuration which may be slightly harder to set up (you need the TwinView option). However there are lots of ATI driver problems in Mint 12 so I would go for NVidia. Unless you are hotplugging screens which is working better with ATI.

You can also use Intel graphics, everything is working out-of-the-box there.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Newbie Questions”