Keyboard shortcut to lock screen/desktop?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Keyboard shortcut to lock screen/desktop?

Post by pepperminty »

Is there a keyboard shortcut to lock the screen/desktop? In ubuntu, the keyboard shortcut is Ctrl + Shift + L. But this shortcut doesn't work in Linux Mint 11. Please help.

pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Keyboard shortcut to lock screen/desktop?

Post by pluraldave »

It's Ctrl+Alt+L, not Ctrl+Shift+L, in both Mint and Ubuntu.

If that still doesn't work you should find a keyboard shortcuts utility in the menu where you can check/define any necessary shortcuts.

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

I opened up the Keyboard Shortcuts utility program. Lock Screen's shortcut is Ctrl + Alt + L (you're right, I'm wrong). But when I press Ctrl+Alt+L, nothing happens. How come?

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty »

Oh, I figured it out. It's a bug, I think.

Let me explain. I use the Dvorak keyboard layout in Linux. But for the keyboard shortcut to work, I have to press the Qwerty equivalent of the L key (which corresponds to the key which has the L key printed on my keyboard.) I was pressing the key that has the "P" letter printed, because the P key is L key in Dvorak. I remember that Ubuntu also has the same thing, so I went into the Keyboard Shortcut utility and changed the shortcut to Ctrl+Alt+P instead.

That's a workaround. Wish the developers would fix this bug.

rythn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rythn »

pluraldave wrote:It's Ctrl+Alt+L, not Ctrl+Shift+L, in both Mint and Ubuntu.

If that still doesn't work you should find a keyboard shortcuts utility in the menu where you can check/define any necessary shortcuts.
Thank you so much!

It worked for me with Ctrl+Alt+L

Return to “Newbie Questions”