Need to boot mint 12 64bit into failsafe graphics

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nkostaki

Need to boot mint 12 64bit into failsafe graphics

Post by nkostaki »

Hi,

yup, I'm a newbie; or, relatively one as I've played around with Linux about 5 years ago, was dismayed, and back to Windows.

Now I'm trying again but have come across this problem: I can't find a way in mint 12 recovery menu to boot with failsafe graphics. In mint 11, which I did a clean reinstall over today, after entering recovery (SHIFT pressed down) you get an option to boot with failsafe graphics. In mint 12 this optionis gone. How can I have this back?

The full story:

My new HP Proliant Microserver N40L (which I'm planning to use as an always-on DLNA server plus my play-with-Linux-again pc has an embedded ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4420 graphics chip. I initially installed Mint 11 w/ Gnome 64bit, which said I could activate an additional driver for -fglrx. at that point resolution could only go up to 1024x768 (4:3) and my monitor (LG W1934S, 16:9) was not detected. After activating the driver (and rebooting) my monitor went blank showing an "out of range" message "Horizontal 75 KHz/60 Hz".

I rebooted, kept SHIFT pressed, went into recovery and booted with failsafe graphics.

I thought maybe the X server sent my monitor a signal at an unsupported horizontal/vertical frequency combination that could perhaps be fixed by editing xorg.conf. Fiddled with xorg.conf a bit with help from some Googled searches with no luck. As I had tried to install the new Catalyst 12.3 drivers from ATI without being fully successful (got an error message) and I suspected I'd gotten my systems muddled up, I did a clean install of mint 12 64bit. After the install, I did a full update and successfully installed AMD Catalyst™ 12.3 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver. I rebooted and got the same blank screen with the "out of range" message "Horizontal 75 KHz/60 Hz" message.

I rebooted into recovery but now the start with failsafe graphics option isn't there any more!

Thank you for having read through all this. I'm really grateful for any help.

Nikolas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nkostaki

Re: Need to boot mint 12 64bit into failsafe graphics

Post by nkostaki »

62 views and not even a single reply?! Would somebody please help me out a little....

Return to “Beginner Questions”