[SOLVED] only root may add a user or group to the system"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
minties
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] only root may add a user or group to the system"

Post by minties »

Hi all.

I've installed LM 12, and am loving it so far. I used the Software Manager to install adduser, but when I type "adduser" into an xterm, as root, I get "adduser: only root may add a user or group to the system"".

I am logged in as root(not guest), and no other accounts have been created, hence I want to run adduser to create a new user account.

Why am I getting this error message when I am clearly root?

Thanks in advance.

PS: I would like to be able to add a new user via GUI, where I can set their permissions etc. But I can't find this option in the menus. I am really not that comfortable with using command line at the moment.
Last edited by minties on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: "adduser: only root may add a user or group to the syste

Post by Roken »

When you say you are logged in as root, do you mean as the user that you created when you installed mint? If so, that's not root. You can add users with:

Code: Select all

sudo adduser xxxxx
Note: you can install gnome-system-tools to get the GUI option back
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There's a couple of things that are odd about your post:

* There is no root account by default so I don't know how you are logged into it.
* "adduser" is installed by default.
PS: I would like to be able to add a new user via GUI, where I can set their permissions etc. But I can't find this option in the menus. I am really not that comfortable with using command line at
Mint12 uses the Gnome3 GUI - "User Accounts": Menu > Administration > User Accounts.
It has only one function and that's to add a new user with a home directory and by default has the following group memberships:
> id tester2
uid=1002(tester2) gid=1002(tester2) groups=1002(tester2)
"User Accounts" does not have the ability to modify group memberships.

If you want to have a GUI that actually has function then you need to install Gnome2's GUI:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
It will create a new user with these group memberships:
> id tester1
uid=1001(tester1) gid=1001(tester1) groups=1001(tester1),4(adm),20(dialout),21(fax),24(cdrom),25(floppy),26(tape),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),104(fuse)
But more importantly it has the ability to add or remove group memberships.

EDIT: @Roken, looks like I said the same thing you did but you did it far more succinctly :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Hey altair, why use 6 words when 200 will do, eh ;)
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
minties
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] only root may add a user or group to the system

Post by minties »

Thanks for the awesome replies. All sorted.

Just as a matter of interest, my LM12 does not have "Menu > Administration > User Accounts." There is no Administration submenu. However, there is Menu > System Tools > System Settings > User Accounts. But all that does is show the user accounts. There is nothing to click on to add a user, or do anything else - it's just a list, really. And in my case, it just showed the name of the account I created when first installing LM12. Since I kept getting asked for that first account's password whenever I install or configure something, I assumed that it was the root account. But that's all for another day - my currently problem is solved.

I've tried a whole bunch of distros, and LM12 is well and truly the best, IMO. Loving it!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just as a matter of interest, my LM12 does not have "Menu > Administration > User Accounts." There is no Administration submenu. However, there is Menu > System Tools > System Settings > User Accounts.
You know, Mint has become a difficult distro ( for me ) to support because it has different desktops from which to choose. I happen to use it with Cinnamon, you apparently do not. If I were really conscientious about this I would provide paths for every Gnome variation but then my posts would get even longer :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
JosephBus1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JosephBus1 »

Thanks for those comments...I'm in Mint 14, trying to add a system user...
My problem: I executed this:

sudo adduser system --home /home/MyUserName  yyy
Mint 14 responded with this:
Warning: The home dir /home/MyUserName you specified already exists.
adduser: The user `system' does not exist.

The warning implies syntax is OK ( & is correct ), but the 2nd line shows
a syntax problem as 'system' was interpreted as a UserName, whereas
man indicates the syntax as:

adduser --system [--home DIR] USER

What am I doing wrong ?...Thx, Joseph
[/b]

Return to “Newbie Questions”