[SOLVED] fstab; new ext4 partition is mounted as read-only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] fstab; new ext4 partition is mounted as read-only

Post by alquimista »

Hi,

On Mint 12, I had a 300 Gb NTFS partition that I reformated to ext4. Mint 12 detects it yet its set as read-only; copule of questions:
bkid yields the id for the new partition as /dev/sdb1: UUID="61fd5c92-340f-421c-8c5f-92d91080ea6d" TYPE="ext4" .

1- How can I label it to a more decent name, like "Data" ? for directory link references.
2- How can I change fstab so the new partition is mounted with permissions to "rw" ?

When I had NTFS, Mint loaded for "rw", now that is ext4, its mounted as read-only :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: fstab; new ext4 partition is mounted as read-only

Post by altair4 »

1- How can I label it to a more decent name, like "Data" ? for directory link references.
Create a mount point:

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /Data
OR

sudo mkdir /media/Data
OR

sudo mkdir /mnt/Data
Note: Any mount point in your home directory or in /media will produce a mount icon on the desktop. If you create a mount point anywhere else it will not.
2- How can I change fstab so the new partition is mounted with permissions to "rw" ?
It already is writable. What it isn't is writable to you.

[] If it's currently mounted unmount it.

[]Add the following line to fstab:

UUID=61fd5c92-340f-421c-8c5f-92d91080ea6d /Data ext4 defaults,noatime 0 2
[] Then issue the following command to mount the partition with the new mount point:

sudo mount -a
That will mount the partition with owner = root and with permissions of 755 - writable to root, readable to everyone else.

[] Once it's mounted take possession of the mounted partition. For example:

sudo chown altair /Data
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
alquimista
Level 4
Level 4

Re: fstab; new ext4 partition is mounted as read-only

Post by alquimista »

Thank you altair4 !

Return to “Beginner Questions”