Firewall

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pav1984

Firewall

Post by pav1984 »

Hi all

I am a newbie to Linux and require some help.

I have just installed Linux Mint Lisa to my laptop and wanted to make sure I have set my firewall ap correctly. My understanding is that ufw is the standard firewall installed but am having trouble understanding it. I click the padlock and then I have turned on the firewall. The defaults are set to deny for traffic in and allow for traffic out. What does confuse me is that there were no logs. When looking through the system I have found /var/log/ufw.log. this has what appears to be 3 pages worth of blocked traffic. What is worrying is that I have only been online for a day. are most of these just the router? The blocks seem to be around every two minutes.

Any help would be fantastic

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
minties

Re: Firewall

Post by minties »

I am also having firewall problems.

I have read that Linux Mint turns the firewall off by default. I unlock the padlock then turn the firewall on. But as soon as I exit the firewall settings, and then check again, the firewall is once again off.

The system keeps turning the firewall off. Why is the firewall off by default anyway?
everready

Post by everready »

minties wrote:I am also having firewall problems.

I have read that Linux Mint turns the firewall off by default. I unlock the padlock then turn the firewall on. But as soon as I exit the firewall settings, and then check again, the firewall is once again off.

The system keeps turning the firewall off. Why is the firewall off by default anyway?
It just looks that way unlock it and you'll see that its still on.. :wink:

everready
everready

Post by everready »

pav1984 wrote:Hi all

I am a newbie to Linux and require some help.

I have just installed Linux Mint Lisa to my laptop and wanted to make sure I have set my firewall ap correctly. My understanding is that ufw is the standard firewall installed but am having trouble understanding it. I click the padlock and then I have turned on the firewall. The defaults are set to deny for traffic in and allow for traffic out. What does confuse me is that there were no logs. When looking through the system I have found /var/log/ufw.log. this has what appears to be 3 pages worth of blocked traffic. What is worrying is that I have only been online for a day. are most of these just the router? The blocks seem to be around every two minutes.

Any help would be fantastic

Cheers
Unlock your firewall go to edit then preferences and tic the appropriate boxes..is that what your referring to?

everready
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

You can choose to start ufw when you login by searching for it in menu, right click on it and check "Launch when I log in" It will launch and ask for your password every time you log in.
With regards to the blocked traffic, when you are online a lot, this happens. If you are sitting behind a router, you can configure the router firewall itself. Maybe you haven't done this and the firewall in your router is not up? Or maybe they are all icmp requests from your router itself. Check the ip address and if it your routers then you know where they are coming from.
If you want to learn more, then I'd suggest you install firestarter. It's a different front end for the default iptables firewall, but it gives you more functionality then ufw. And it's very easy and intuitive to use too.
pav1984

Post by pav1984 »

Thanks for your help guys after loking closer at the logs I do believe it is my router that is checking for the IP address.

Cheers
bugmenotprettyplz

Post by bugmenotprettyplz »

I am sorry to say that Firestarter is no longer being maintained.
Inkit

Post by Inkit »

I am sorry to say that Firestarter is no longer being maintained.
Thanks for the heads up. I did not know this. But I don't know how much this will impact firestarter as a firewall because it is after all just a front end for iptables. I would be grateful if you could let me know exactly what the implications are.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

ufw runs even when the GUI application is not running. The GUI is actually gufw... the underlying part is a text mode program. Try typing this in a terminal to see if the firewall is running:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw status
You could also type this to see all firewall rules currently defined in the kernel:

Code: Select all

sudo iptables -L
These rules are reset each time you start Linux. That's why ufw runs all the time; it maintains the rules and adds them each time Linux starts. If no rules are defined, there will be three basic rules that allow everything.
everready

Post by everready »

Thanks for the code Rua it looks a might more professional than just saying "Unlock It" :wink:

Thanks..
eveready

Return to “Beginner Questions”