Installing Mint ISO from USB pen drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
razedafear

Installing Mint ISO from USB pen drive

Post by razedafear »

Hi

I downloaded "Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" - KDE (32-bit)" which does not have a windows installer in it(like the other version of genome has it). How can i make my 8Gb flash drive to boot the ISO and install it parallel to windows(on a separate partition)?

Thanks
Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
razedafear

Re: Installing Mint ISO from USB pen drive

Post by razedafear »

just following up- if i install the mint from USB or live CD instead of a win installer like wubi, it will over-right my win7 boot loader and will install a grub loader instead... and if i want to uninstall and use win7 again, how can i restore my win boot loader without disturbing/corrupting the win OS???
razedafear

Post by razedafear »

KNOCK KNOCK, anybody here???????????? This why i am not sure why to switch to mint. ubuntu forums are more proactive for support unlike this one.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

Yes, it will overwrite the Windows bootloader and use GRUB instead.
As far as I can remember, to fix the Windows bootloader, you need to insert your Windows disc, boot it, choose Repair your computer, choose your installation, choose Command Prompt and then type

Code: Select all

bootrec /fixmbr
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition

Return to “Beginner Questions”