[SOLVED] Where is the persistent file?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
leprkon
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Where is the persistent file?

Post by leprkon »

Hi, I am pretty sure this is a stupid question, and I have tried searching around, but I can't seem to find an answer! So, maybe the almighty linux gurus here can help me out a bit.

My persistence mode stopped working and I have no idea why. I am unable to boot it and have been using the live mode as a result to get my work done.
So, before I do a format and reinstall linux on my flashdrive, I was wondering if there was a way for me to access my persistent file and get the files that I had saved on it off. Do I have to mount someting? Is it impossible? haha, I am a linux noob, so I have no idea where to even start. Some help would be very nice and of course appreciated!! :lol:
Last edited by leprkon on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Where is the persistent file?

Post by remoulder »

[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The persistant storage of flash drives is on a seperate partition called casper-rw (or was it casper_rw?). You can use GParted to resize partitions if the persistant storage is too small.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Right above about the "Casper" file being the Persistence. Not editable so far as I know. FWIW, I've been using Live USB with Persistence on various Ubuntu / Mint based distros for about a year, and they all eventually go wonky - in my case either they stop recognizing or mounting the HDD or start demanding non-existent passwords to do things - within a few weeks. I consider Live USB a great temporary trial or emergency alternative boot, but not a reliable installation that is worth investing time in.

I've read about doing a full install on USB, but haven't tried it - I do know you have to be very careful during that process to ensure GRUB is installed on the flash drive and not on the hard drive. Once GRUB is on your hard drive, it's a bear to get rid of.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual booting LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook).
leprkon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by leprkon »

Thanks for the info guys!

I managed to access the persistence.

Using what was said above, I did some research and kind of figured out what to do.

Booting from live, I went into the console and type in

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /home/mint/casper
From here, I type in

Code: Select all

sudo mount -o -loop /cdrom/casper-rw /home/mint/casper
This mounted the persistence and I was able to copy my files off and save them! Cool beans!

So yeah, thanks again! I appreciate the quick responses!

Return to “Newbie Questions”