[SOLVED] media file systems now end in underscore

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
penpal0andrew

[SOLVED] media file systems now end in underscore

Post by penpal0andrew »

Up until a few minutes ago, I had my USB flash drives mounted as /media/something and now it is /media/something_
How did this change?
This is a problem since I have all of my playlists set up for one USB and I do my downloads to another.

{SOLVED} I found that /media has directories so I deleted them (with the USBs not connected).
They must have been left there due to system crashes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: media file systems now end in underscore

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

penpal0andrew wrote:I had my USB flash drives mounted as /media/something and now it is /media/something_ How did this change? This is a problem since I have all of my playlists set up for one USB and I do my downloads to another.
The only time this happened to me was when I labeled several of my UFDs the same name. The next time I attached the UFDs, the first UFD showed as normal, but the second UFD (same label as the first) now has a trailing _ after the name.

If you are in the same situation, just unmount all your UFDs and remount the one you are actually going to use for the current session. The [normal] label should show sans the trailing underscore. If you plan on attaching two or more UFDs at the same time (and that have the same labels), you might want to consider giving them different names using the gparted utility.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Beginner Questions”