Transmission keeps killing my connection

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newbsauce

Transmission keeps killing my connection

Post by newbsauce »

Every time I run transmission it connects, downloads for a few minuets and then, kills my Internet connection. I have to restart my computer to get it back. I haven't changed any settings on it at all. What am i doing wrong? How can I fix this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dwasifar

Re: Transmission keeps killing my connection

Post by dwasifar »

newbsauce wrote:Every time I run transmission it connects, downloads for a few minuets and then, kills my Internet connection.
Have you tried downloading other things besides minuets? Perhaps waltzes or sonatas or some nice chamber music? :)

Ok, kidding. :) Seriously, the first thing I'd try is using some other torrent program besides Transmission. See if you get the same problem with Deluge. Look for it in the software center or in the repos. This will help narrow it down to whether it's the app or the connection we should be troubleshooting.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

dwasifar wrote:Have you tried downloading other things besides minuets? Perhaps waltzes or sonatas or some nice chamber music? :)
I ROFLMAO'd on this little gem :lol:

Okay, another possibility is the ISP is blocking torrent downloads?
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
newbsauce

Post by newbsauce »

I knew I was gonna get my balls busted for this one! :roll: I thought about the isp block but i never had that problem running utorrent on win7 (i just switched a few weeks ago). but i'll give deluge a shot, thnks
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

Another possibility is a router that can't handle a large number of simultaneous connections, which is what torrent programs do. I had this problem once. Reducing the number of simultaneous connections used in the program helped, but what really fixed it for me was upgrading my broadband router.

Also, if you keep having the problem, you can almost certainly fix it without rebooting by taking down your Internet connection and bringing it back up again. You can do this with the ifdown and ifup commands, respectively, as in "sudo ifdown -a" and "sudo ifup -a". That's much quicker than rebooting until you get the problem fixed.
dwasifar

Post by dwasifar »

srs5694 wrote:Also, if you keep having the problem, you can almost certainly fix it without rebooting by taking down your Internet connection and bringing it back up again. You can do this with the ifdown and ifup commands, respectively, as in "sudo ifdown -a" and "sudo ifup -a". That's much quicker than rebooting until you get the problem fixed.
Excellent advice. "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" will also work.

Return to “Beginner Questions”