[Solved] Every desktop environment goes to gnome fallback

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Fitz318is
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 pm

[Solved] Every desktop environment goes to gnome fallback

Post by Fitz318is » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi, for some strange reason, every desktop environment choice from the login menu goes into gnome fallback mode.

IE: If I select cinnamon, its goes to gnome fallback, if I select gnome, it goes to gnome fallback etc. I want cinnamon and gnome back.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this one, I have no idea where to start.
Last edited by Fitz318is on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: Every desktop environment selection goes to gnome fallba

Post by hellfire695 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:35 am

I'd suggest install gdm3

sudo apt-get install gdm3


as opposed to fighting with lightdm

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:29 pm
Location: Bali

Re: Every desktop environment selection goes to gnome fallba

Post by mank_in » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:47 am

VGA driver related :?:
check with :

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx

Fitz318is
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Every desktop environment selection goes to gnome fallba

Post by Fitz318is » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:46 pm

I dont understand how this will fix my problem?

Does lightdm load the desktop environments?
hellfire695 wrote:I'd suggest install gdm3

sudo apt-get install gdm3


as opposed to fighting with lightdm

Fitz318is
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Every desktop environment selection goes to gnome fallba

Post by Fitz318is » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:51 pm

The result of inxi -Gx:

Graphics: Card: nVidia GT520 [GeForce GT520] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org 1.10.4 driver nvidia Resolution 1920x1080@50.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A

Does that help?

...wait a second, there is no version, my other comp shows a version. It should show 295.33 as that is what I installed.

lspci shows:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT520 [GeForce GT520] (rev a1)

This does not "look" right either.

Maybe I should re-install the video drivers.
mank_in wrote:VGA driver related :?:
check with :

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx

Fitz318is
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Re: Every desktop environment selection goes to gnome fallba

Post by Fitz318is » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Well, I did a re and re on the nvidia drivers (updated to .40 while I was at it) and here is the result:

Graphics: Card: nVidia GT520 [GeForce GT520] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org 1.10.4 driver nvidia Resolution 1920x1080@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce GT 520/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 295.40 Direct Rendering Yes

Cinnamon is back!

Thanks all for your help.

Fitz318is wrote:The result of inxi -Gx:

Graphics: Card: nVidia GT520 [GeForce GT520] bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org 1.10.4 driver nvidia Resolution 1920x1080@50.0hz
GLX Renderer N/A GLX Version N/A Direct Rendering N/A

Does that help?

...wait a second, there is no version, my other comp shows a version. It should show 295.33 as that is what I installed.

lspci shows:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT520 [GeForce GT520] (rev a1)

This does not "look" right either.

Maybe I should re-install the video drivers.
mank_in wrote:VGA driver related :?:
check with :

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”