[SOLVED] Flashrom Tarball - Now What?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
biggy555

[SOLVED] Flashrom Tarball - Now What?

Post by biggy555 »

I very badly need the use of flashrom 0.9.5.2 (latest beta?) bios flasher that seems to be the only one able to downflash the latest ASUS stupid bios (ME partition is locked)
Using sw manager, or synaptic or updater 0.9.4 is all I get shown for install (which I did)
I downloaded the 0952 tarball and I guess I can use the -e command to extract it?
Questions:
There is a bunch of terminal script on the flashrom site
http://flashrom.org/Downloads
$ svn co svn://flashrom.org/flashrom/trunk flashrom
$ cd flashrom
$ make
$ sudo make install
Is this a PPA for me?
Or can I just extract and install the tarball?
I downloaded it from my Windows machine - where do I copy paste it on Mint 12? (USB stick?)
Does cd flashrom above mean create directory named flashrom?
If I stick tarball anywheres on sda1 will Linux find it for extract and install?
Does that install override the previous 0940 install?
I did a search for flashrom on the computer and it seems to be in root of my single HDD single partition.
Is that the Linux auto place for install of all sw? No individual named folders?

Any guidance greatly appreciated
Trust me, a whole lot of folks would be interested in this - lol
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Flashrom Tarball - Now What?

Post by remoulder »

Please scroll that Downloads page to the installing on Ubuntu part.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

That page points you to this PPA with daily builds of flashrom: https://code.launchpad.net/~flashrom-de ... hrom-daily
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
biggy555

Post by biggy555 »

O.K. Thnx a bunch for answers
Still would like to know if some terminal code would allow extract and install of tarball file after sticking it in say "downloads". Or a USB stick? Or is downloading to Win 7 first a Linux no no?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can extract tarball files yourself just by double-clicking them > extract. About installing, that's often described in a README or INSTALL file in the package.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
biggy555

Post by biggy555 »

O.K. Great!!!
That should do it - lol

Return to “Beginner Questions”