Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Iger
Level 1
Level 1

MintInstall freeze

Post by Iger » Thu May 28, 2009 6:22 am

Hello!

I'm new to Linux, so, please, bear with me if the questions look too stupid :)
I've tried to use mintInstall from LiveCD.
First time it launched ok, allowed me to find Opera in the list of software, but when I tried to click "Install" button it went unreponsive and didn't react to anything. I waited some 5-10 minutes, and then tried to kill it from the System Monitor. Then I tried to relaunch it again and the system froze (mouse didn't move, system didn't react to keyboard).
I relaunched the LiveCD and tried again, this time it just froze almost immediately on the first startup. I tried to close it by clicking the X and went around on my housekeeping chores and tried to find something similiar on the forums :)
When I got back (around 1.5 hours later) it was still frozen. I tried to kill it from System Monitor and tried to relaunch it. This time it did launch ok and even let me install my Opera :)

The only post that mentioned something similiar was the one saying, that mintInstall could start downloading screenshots upon first launch and that it could take ~30 minutes. My internet is quite broadband, and 1.5 hours would seem to be enough for almost anything, still it wouldn't unfreeze after this time...
Also, if this is still the reason for freezing, I would suggest to download screenshots upon selection of a specific software package, as the screenshot of the program I'll never know about is of little use to me, I guess... :) If this suggestion wouldn't fit, then it would be nice to make mintInstall a bit more communicative about what it's doing at the moment :)

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: MintInstall freeze

Post by Husse » Sat May 30, 2009 5:08 pm

I don't think using mintInstall from the live CD is a good idea - but for the fun of it and to test I quite understand why you want to do it
In Gloria the download of screenshots problem is solved
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

Mode
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mode » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi guys,
I'm absolutely loving Mint Gloria although I get some difficulties with Mint Install. I'm in Africa (Kenya to be precise) and internet connection isn't everywhere. I installed Gloria on my PC (without internet connection) but once I try to browse the software in Mint Install the PC freezes. This, I believe, is being caused by the automatic downloading of screenshots. I am able to close Mint Install using "Force quit" method but this isn't really helping me a lot.

My question is where exactly are these screenshots stored (the folder address would be helpful)? I am able to access the internet at work and using my persistent install on the USB I can download the screenshots from my work PC. It would be really helpful if i got to know the folder address so that I can transfer the screenshots from my persistent install on the USB onto my home PC.

Thanks

Mode

[CONFIRMED but not yet SOLVED]
Last edited by Mode on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:56 am

From Gloria all screenshots are not downloaded when you first use mintInstall
The screenshots used to be in
/home/mats/.linuxmint/mintInstall
but that folder is almost empty now
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by emorrp1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi, the offline freeze due to screenshots bug is not yet solved (see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=27749 ), but for your workaround, the screenshots are saved in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintInstall/data/screenshots/ so you'll need root access to copy them across.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com

Mode
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mode » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:42 pm

@emorrp1

thanks for the path to the screenshots folder...you're awesome :D

hope the [CONFIRMED but not yet SOLVED] is helpful and can't wait to edit it to read [SOLVED] once the problem is resolved.

thanks again.

Mode

Return to “Software & Applications”