Which do you prefer: Cinnamon or XFCE?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jahid

Re: Which do you prefer: Cinnamon or XFCE?

Post by jahid »

I liked nemo in cinnamon a lot. But when I installed it on LM 17 xfce I discovered the difference between thunar, it was speed. I amazingly noticed that the nemo file manager is so slow compared to thunar....That moment I gave up on nemo though I didn't like the thunar file manager that much.

But after some time, I discovered that thunar is much more customizable than nemo is. you can add a bunch of right click menu as you wish. There's so many possibilities with it and you can make it do as you wish.

And the most amaging thing is panel. You can do whatever you want with it.....It will do as you say.....

XFCE desktop is a desktop that will obey you.....not making you obey it.... :D
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Its nice to see so many fellow XFCE users! I agree with jahid, and others entirely. XFCE is the only DE I will ever run on my computers, even faster ones. Simply put, its because I can do what I want wiith it. :D
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

jahid wrote:But after some time, I discovered that thunar is much more customizable than nemo is. you can add a bunch of right click menu as you wish. There's so many possibilities with it and you can make it do as you wish.
That's the same for Nemo. Nemo action is made for this...
jahid

Post by jahid »

killer de bug wrote: That's the same for Nemo. Nemo action is made for this...
Is that a new feature? or may be I have been unaware of it..... :?

Anyway, speed is the main difference and reason that I prefer thunar now... :D
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

This has been here since a while.
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/05/b ... o-actions/

But I agree Thunar is faster but all the actions you can add in Thunar can be added in Nemo :wink:
Gannet

Post by Gannet »

Tried both but have ended up with XFCE on both headless server and desktop. Laptop still on Windows XP so it will probably have a clean 17+xfce installed on it.

I particularly like the way multiple workspaces work in xfce.
chillywilllove
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chillywilllove »

Is it possible to install two desktop environments at once?
jahid

Post by jahid »

chillywilllove wrote:Is it possible to install two desktop environments at once?
yes, you can install as many as you want..
bromanbro

Post by bromanbro »

Haven't tried XFCE yet, so Cinnamon :)

However, I hear XFCE is lightweight, so I mite try it since Cinnamon seems heavy. My AMD GPU scales down its clock speed for programs that use hardware acceleration (Flash etc) and I think Cinnamon runs with graphical effects, so sometimes when I alt-tab from videogames, the FPS takes a nosedive because the GPU gets confused by the Cinnamon desktop effects and runs at a lowered clockspeed.

However Cinnamon is very pretty and looks similer to Windows, which is a + for me since I'm a realetivly new Linux user :)
gregor.weertman

Post by gregor.weertman »

I use Cinnamon but I'm not happy with the stability.
On Fedora it's very unstable. Not usable.
When I click on the close button of a picture I viewed Cinnamon hangs for about 20 seconds.
Opening an rdesktop to my vcenter server with a vsphere client on the dektop makes cinamon crash.
It's a hp compaq DC8100 with 12GB.

The workspace switcher is great however.

I use xbindkeys to give the fourth button on my mouse the workspace switch function:
"xte 'keydown Alt_L' 'keydown Control_L' 'key Up' 'keyup Alt_L' 'keyup Control_L' 'mousemove 800 490'"
b:8 + release
When I push that button I see all my workspaces and can choose one. With a little luck.

Trying to find a solution like that for XFCE because I sure like some stability in my desktop environment.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Powerful hardware: Cinnamon. Weak hardware: Xfce.

But I love them both. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

gregor.weertman wrote:I use Cinnamon but I'm not happy with the stability.
On Fedora it's very unstable. Not usable.
I found the Cinnamon implementation on previous Korora (based on Fedora) versions to be quirky, but with Korora 20 and 21 it is much improved.
Of course, Cinnamon on Linux Mint is much better than Cinnamon on Fedora.

XFCE is fine on my older Pentium M laptop, which can't run Cinnamon. XFCE has a lot of good qualities.
I run Cinnamon on my desktop, however. The main factor being that I like Nemo much better than Thunar. And I think the Cinnamon menu is the best menu available. Whisker is OK.

I can't wait for Mint to implement the latest Plasma 5 KDE. I gave that a good trial run with Netrunner 15 - http://www.netrunner-os.com/netrunner-15/
Dolphin is even better than Nemo !!
It is almost inconceivable that I would switch from Cinnamon, but the new KDE 5 could lure me away...
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

humturtle39 wrote: I recently tried Cinnamon for the first time in a while but it just doesn't feel as feature-rich.
There's no option for a vertical panel on the left or right of screen, the settings manager seemed less extensive (though not by much), and there isn't the same wealth of panel applets available, correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't even find a clipboard applet.
I am using the Parcellite clipboard manager in Cinnamon.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install parcellite
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

InkKnife wrote:I think they are both really good. I generally use Cinnamon because its pretty but XFCE works great and it is what I put on older hardware, anything pre-Core2. If I was running someing less powerful I would be running XFCE but with a Core2Quad and a big honking video card I can spend the cycles on Cinnamon.
I am a recovering Mac user, I need my eye candy. 8)
Pjotr wrote:Powerful hardware: Cinnamon. Weak hardware: Xfce.

But I love them both. :mrgreen:
Wow, do great minds ever think alike! As my signature attests, my experience with DEs in Mint echo this exactly. Both the XPS and Optiplex are Core 2 Duos, so they run Cinnamon well; the Dimension 2400 is a Pentium 4 and the Lenovo is an Atom-based netbook, so both do fine with XFCE's ultra-light power requirement. Cinnamon reminds me of a cross between Win 7 and OS X Snow Leopard in functionality and smoothness. Both MATE and XFCE remind me of Vista SP1; not as sleek as Cinnamon, but still easy enough to use on somewhat older hardware. And of those two, XFCE wins the light-footprint award for low-power machines.

My two Cinnamon machines spend considerable time running simulations for the Folding@Home medical computing project, and even with Cinnamon's overhead, each machine gets 10-15% better folding runtimes with Mint than they did in Windows 7. So for me, Cinnamon gets the edge on anything Core 2 Duo or above, especially with a dedicated video card present.

(I'm a Mac user too, InkKnife-- not exactly recovering, since I have two iMacs and a MacBook Pro that still run OS X.)
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
nhmarshall

Post by nhmarshall »

When I started out with Linux about a month ago I was using Cinnamon, but shortly after having used it It seemed a bit buggy. I did a fresh install of 17.1 Xfce and am much happier. Quick efficient and quite clean looking.
pdhunter1987

Post by pdhunter1987 »

Cinnamon is polished and feels great... however I still prefer XFCE as it lets me get things done but at the same time looks good, is snappy, and lets me configure anything I want.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Cinnamon. I don't like the way Xfce looks.
Plus, Cinnamon just feels more familiar.

I admit I've never kept Xfce for more than a few days. Maybe if I gave it some time, I'd like it. But Cinnamon in Debian does just fine for me, even with only 1 GB of RAM on my old machine.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I like Xfce, but I really like Cinnamon. :D
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Heh, its nice to see a thread that I've started more than a year ago pick up again. Provided it does not violate board rules, I'd like to see this thread remain open.

I'm still rocking XFCE, had a bit of fun with themes and the likes. XFCE is simply a solid DE which has never given me grief. :)
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

Fred Barclay wrote:Cinnamon. I don't like the way Xfce looks.
Plus, Cinnamon just feels more familiar.

I admit I've never kept Xfce for more than a few days. Maybe if I gave it some time, I'd like it.
Just the opposite here. I want to like Cinnamon and have tested it a few times -- but only for a day or two. It seems nice, but too sluggish (for me) compared to Xfce and there were a few times it just froze up or crashed -- which turned me off immediately. (It's been at least a year or two since I've tested it on a real install, so it's probably more stable now.)

I've been using Xfce on old and newer computers for about three years now. It's my choice for same reasons many others have given: speed, stability and easy to customize.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”