Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE RC1 (BETA 025) is out!

Post by merlwiz79 »

Insane1 wrote:Sorry for not being logged in by the way (Won't do that again). More information is it was a fresh install of Linux Mint Xfce 5 Beta025. Nothing was changed (although I had firefox open to browse the web and find the update instructions). The partition setup had /, /home, and /swap. I tried the update instructions again after letting mint update update the system, but no luck, the same two packages failed.
Something I didn't foresee.
I found the problem and will update the package.
Had it remove that file and then copy the file to it.
Must have been a late night.
A workaround would to run this in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo touch /usr/share/applications/mplayer-playlist.desktop
Now reinstall xfcemint-default-settings and xfcemint-doc.
Once xfcemint-doc is installed, install xfcemint-desktop.

Edit:
I fixed the package and now the link points to the fixed updates.
I also added a step to get xfcemint-desktop to install.
Insane1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Insane1 »

merlwiz79 wrote:
Insane1 wrote:Sorry for not being logged in by the way (Won't do that again). More information is it was a fresh install of Linux Mint Xfce 5 Beta025. Nothing was changed (although I had firefox open to browse the web and find the update instructions). The partition setup had /, /home, and /swap. I tried the update instructions again after letting mint update update the system, but no luck, the same two packages failed.
Something I didn't foresee.
I found the problem and will update the package.
Had it remove that file and then copy the file to it.
Must have been a late night.
A workaround would to run this in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo touch /usr/share/applications/mplayer-playlist.desktop
Now reinstall xfcemint-default-settings and xfcemint-doc.
Once xfcemint-doc is installed, install xfcemint-desktop.
:) I'm just glad you're so fast when it comes to fixing things, I honestly didn't expect an answer for a few hours. :D
Can't thank you enough both for being quick and providing an Xfce option to Linux mint in the first place. I wish you luck with that login bug, by the way! I've tried my hand at programming before, so I know how irritating it is when you run into a bug you just can't seem to fix or trace.

EDIT:

This time everything went flawlessly. Thank you :D

I am curious though, what exactly is the login bug you've been having trouble with? Only trouble I've had is occasionally when I go to shutdown or restart, I wind up at the login screen...but that's usually only a one time thing and only after a lot of changes (or an update or video card driver installation), and I've had the same happen to me once or twice on Linux Mint Main, if I can recall right.
Steve Payne

Post by Steve Payne »

I was forking around with the XFCE beta last night and ran into a wireless problem. I've always used the wireless driver application on Elyssa GNOME and after i installed the .inf file, it just "saw" the available networks and I went on my merry way after adding the WPA2/TKIP stuff, etc, etc..

On XFCE, I can follow the same procedure but after I install the .inf file, it still doesn't "see" the available networks. MintElyssa GNOME spoiled me because it always worked, so I never had to dig in and get dirty on the command line (not that I'd really know how to anyway -- I'm still getting my feet wet there).

Regardless, any help/advice would be lovely. Also, has anyone good/bad feedback trying to use enlightenment on Elyssa?

Thanks again!
Steely

Post by Steely »

Hi

Thanks for the updated packages and instructions.

For the most part things are working well. Something I did notice after using the updated packages is that the volume levels / output are much lower than before. I have checked alsamixer and use alsa as the default and I have to crank the levels almost up to max. Under gome and kde I rarely have to set them past 70 to get the same level. I have seen this issue with previous versions of Ubuntu. Without the updated packages on the xfce beta I rarely had to set the levels past 60. I do not have replay gain enabled in any of my media players. To make it even more confusing is that the same file played with the same media player and no change in level settings will result in different volume levels.

Another item that affects both versions ( regular and with updated packages ) is the way that Firefox handles domain suffixes. Just as an example if you try to enter www.spotnet it should append it with .com by usual browser behaviour but instead it will change it to spot.net .

Dale
Bali

Post by Bali »

Hi there!

Any idea for the final release date? I mean, a maximum fix date?

I know you are all working hard, but almost two months late compare to the first annoucement, it's too much for me.
Before to scream on me, just read:

I am a manager in a factory and instead to use my laptop, I want now to use an old PC ( PIII - 512 Ram). XFCE could be great for an old PC like this.
I tried UBUNTU XFCE: no thank you!
Some others distro use XFCE but I want to use DEB. So my only choice is XFCE Linux Mint, that i love at home in Gnome version.
So because delayed, I use now Windows 2000...., the only OS fiting with my PC . I setup the minimum on it (Web and Mail software). I don't want to loose my time to set up all, and finally a morning realising the final release is ready.
But for now, I need to have an effective computer (with all software installed) , whatever on Mint or Windows 2000.

So please let us know.

And if I can allow myself to give you an advice: when you make an annoucement about final release, try to respect the delay you announced. Two weeks delay can be acceptable, two months: NO.

Anyway, thank you for your great job

Bali
Willi

Post by Willi »

Lolo Uila wrote:Okay, I just found something horribly annoying. I went to delete a bunch of backup files from an external HDD and it took 10 minutes to "move" the files to the trash. confused?

I didn't even want them in the trash, I just wanted them gone, so I right-clicked on them and selected delete, but I had to wait 10 minutes, and then empty the trash.

Under Gnome I can right-click on folders or files and select "Delete" and they just go away without moving them or putting them in the trash. This SERIOUSLY needs to be added to XFCE!! (Please?)
You need to press the shift-key while pressing Delete. Then the deleted files will be removed instead of moving them into the trashcan.
MithranDeer

Post by MithranDeer »

clem wrote:Linux Mint 5 XFCE Community Edition RC1 (BETA 025) is out and available for download. We're planning to release the stable version of this edition in two weeks so I hope you'll be numerous to test it and we'll receive plenty of feedback.

Please find all relevant information about this release at this address: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_xfce.php

I'd also like to thank and congratulate Merlwiz79 for maintaining this edition and for making it better and better with each release.

Have fun with it and don't forget to give us feedback by replying to this thread.

Clem.
There is no photo-editing app pre-installed (or did I niss it? gimp doesnt count). I strongly suggest to add f-spot or gthumb to the default install.
Don't forget to add the automatic picture download command (f-spot-import or something) to the removable media->camera-Setup.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Further notes re my experience:

Latest Mintinstall 5.2 doesn't appear to work as intended. Had to revert to Synaptic.

smb4k solved all issues related samba shares and to browsing windows workgoups.

Looking forward to the final release.

Oliverjames
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

Well I am very impressed, since this mornings posting concerning a problem with the Mintinstall 5.2 package, it is now released as version 5.2.1 and all appears to work as intended on my XFCE system.

Many thanks. Oliverjames
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

Hi all,

I have been using GNU/Linux Mint 5 XFCE for around a month now. It has been a wonderful experience living with it. 8)

Just wanted to share this to acknowledge, appreciate & admire the GNU / Linux / Xorg / GTK / XFCE and of course the Mint developers. :D

Zaheer.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Hopefully the final is released on Monday, if no bugs stop it.
ossified65.

Post by ossified65. »

Hi, where can I get the mintdesktop.deb ? I can't find it in a repository..

-thanks

Return to “Releases & Announcements”