New kernel on Mint 17.2 ?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
phil995511
Level 4
Level 4

New kernel on Mint 17.2 ?

Post by phil995511 »

Hello,

I hope you will make available a new kernel with Mint 17.2 for compatibility with new hardware devices...

Tks by advance
Debian 12 Bookworm 64-bit Cinnamon (main system) in dual-boot with Windows 11 64-bit (for maximum hardware and software compatibility)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: New kernel on Mint 17.2 ?

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint 17 came with a newer kernel than Ubuntu 14.04. Linux Mint 17.1 came with a newer kernel than 17. I foresee 17.2 will come with a newer kernel just the same.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote:Linux Mint 17 came with a newer kernel than Ubuntu 14.04. Linux Mint 17.1 came with a newer kernel than 17. I foresee 17.2 will come with a newer kernel just the same.
Undoubtedly, but will the default kernel be a 3.13.x kernel (like in Mint 17 and in Mint 17.1) or a 3.16.x kernel? That's still unclear to me. I hope for the 3.16.x, because otherwise support for very new hardware will become a problem....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

A lot of stuff is backported to 3.13 kernel series. Ubuntu kernel version numbers don't align with upstream kernel versions BTW. In any case, 3.13 has 5 years of support from Ubuntu kernel team with the others don't: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnabl ... el_Support
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote:A lot of stuff is backported to 3.13 kernel series. Ubuntu kernel version numbers don't align with upstream kernel versions BTW. In any case, 3.13 has 5 years of support from Ubuntu kernel team with the others don't: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnabl ... el_Support
Yes, that's what might induce the Mint devs to continue with the 3.13.x kernel. But upstream backporting to the 3.13.x. for new hardware is limited, because the higher kernels of the Ubuntu LTS point releases (starting with the second Ubuntu point release) are (as you know of course) Hardware Enablement Stacks:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

In other words, the purpose of those "kernel jumps" from the second point release onward, is specifically to enable the use of Ubuntu LTS on very new hardware. It would be a pity if Mint wouldn't do the same, because otherwise some very modern hardware will be unfit for Mint. Even now I already see some problems on this forum because of very new hardware in combination with the 3.13.x kernel...

Maybe this is something you or I could ask Clem?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sounds like you have a better grasp on it :)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Clem just announced 17.2 name on the blog, and answered they will probably go with 3.16 kernel: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2802#comment-115988
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote:Clem just announced 17.2 name on the blog, and answered they will probably go with 3.16 kernel: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2802#comment-115988
That's excellent news. We really need the 3.16.x kernel as default in 17.2, for hardware enablement. :)
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

You can use the liquorix kernel which is updated frequently. I'm using it now and it's at version 4.0-2. Plus it speeds up the system. :D
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

i just did the synaptic pkg mgr update method to 17.2 Mate, just showed up in the menu pull down today-so, i tried it only one quasi legit reason to change and it is the audio pulse, alsa etc changes one more thing but could have done without .
i had manually upgraded the kernel to 4.0.5 a few weeks ago. and did not go back to the recommended 3.18 or whichever it is today. will be checking out how this functions as i go. I did get a successful reboot after doing the pkg manager changes. now have other level 1 updates to check out.
then, try to get my proprietary AMD driver upgrade to 15.200 which did not successfully work out after i switched to kernel 4.0.0 and i had to spend time , lots of time to get the xserver amd drivers to install and work properly. but , only 10months into my total linux (all mint) experience,so one thing at a time , this time.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

johnniedoo wrote:i just did the synaptic pkg mgr update method to 17.2 Mate, just showed up in the menu pull down today-so, i tried it only one quasi legit reason to change and it is the audio pulse, alsa etc changes one more thing but could have done without .
i had manually upgraded the kernel to 4.0.5 a few weeks ago. and did not go back to the recommended 3.18 or whichever it is today. will be checking out how this functions as i go. I did get a successful reboot after doing the pkg manager changes. now have other level 1 updates to check out.
then, try to get my proprietary AMD driver upgrade to 15.200 which did not successfully work out after i switched to kernel 4.0.0 and i had to spend time , lots of time to get the xserver amd drivers to install and work properly. but , only 10months into my total linux (all mint) experience,so one thing at a time , this time.
Why did you install those unsupported 4.x kernels at all?
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Pjotr wrote:Why did you install those unsupported 4.x kernels at all?
If you're an experienced user and know to upgrade your GCC, et al then there are a lot of benefits to running newer kernels. I've been using the Liquorix kernels for ages now and never have any issues with them. In fact, my system is snappier than ever. Don't knock it until you try it. :D
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
johnniedoo

Post by johnniedoo »

why i installed them is my business, this kind of reply is not really helpful nor germane. why did i opt to use Linux at all?
because i wanted to-
i had lots of older parts (over 2yrs old) that i thought were still viable though not as fast as i liked with the bloated up Win7 x64 ultimate and pro boxes i have.
I am willing to experiment with these parts i turned into a full build, with as much new and interesting about Linux (Mint Mate 17.2 in this case) because it is there, others do it,so i can learn
i am almost 70yrs old(68) and cant work on my motorcycle or cars ,so i play with MInt , mate is my choice and i have no reason at all for why i picked Mate, because cinnamon is good on pudding?
John
Oh, by the way, i can attest to the fact that Kernel 4.0.5 is very good and fast with everything i have gotten around to playing with (to answer some of my own post). I have not bothered to try going back to the recommended option yet-will soon, it is installed. MY Me-TV plays the PCTV pinnacle hd usb pro stick better in this Mint17.2 than it did in windows7.1 with the "official" pinnacle released driver/software. and it plays well there, too, just better s/n ratio with same antenna.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

johnniedoo wrote:why i installed them is my business, this kind of reply is not really helpful nor germane.
Oh yes it is. Very much so.

We on this forum need to know whether you're simply a wild experimenter (which you appear to be, and which is OK of course, may you live happily ever after) or some serious case of PEBKAC (just google that term) who's turning his system into a hopeless mess without actually *wanting* to create that mess.

The former I won't help (because that's useless: a wild experimenter isn't aiming to simply achieve a stable reliable system) and the latter I will try to help.
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

Pjotr wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Clem just announced 17.2 name on the blog, and answered they will probably go with 3.16 kernel: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2802#comment-115988
That's excellent news. We really need the 3.16.x kernel as default in 17.2, for hardware enablement. :)
I realize this is an old thread, but can anyone tell me:

1) what THE recommended kernel is (I seem to be running 3.13-0.24 (3.13.9) according to Update)

2) where this information is usually posted (so I don't have to go searching next time and don bother the good folks here)

BTW, Pyotr, thanks for those lists of essential things to do after installing 17.2, which went without a hitch and make Mint boot much faster.

Cecilieaux
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

cecilieaux wrote:I realize this is an old thread, but can anyone tell me:

1) what THE recommended kernel is (I seem to be running 3.13-0.24 (3.13.9) according to Update)
Although the default kernel for 17.2 is 3.16.0-38, there's no need for you to install that newer kernel if all works well on your computer. If it isn't broken, don't fix it....
BTW, Pyotr, thanks for those lists of essential things to do after installing 17.2, which went without a hitch and make Mint boot much faster.
You're welcome. :)

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”