Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Zero004

Upgrade LMDE To Kernal 4.0 (Yes or no)

Post by Zero004 »

Hi,
before i'am doing it i want to make sure , that their won't be issue,

If i follow this tutorial .

http://mintguide.org/system/352-install ... ry-os.html

to Upgrade the mint Debian kernal will that Break the os ? or ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
niowluka

Re: Upgrade LMDE To Kernal 4.0 (Yes or no)

Post by niowluka »

The answer is in the tutorial itself:
Warning. The Linux kernel is a critical element of the system. To do the upgrade costs when one of your hardware devices is not working properly, and the new kernel may fix this problem. But at the same time installing a new kernel unnecessarily can lead to undesirable regressions, such as: no network connection, no sound or even the inability to boot the system, so install a new kernel on your own risk.
Above applies to any kernel upgrade to any OS.
d4rk50ld13r

Post by d4rk50ld13r »

Generally recent kernels are not 100% reliable !
But you can upgrade the kernel if you know that it is stable , even custom kernels are good as well.
I am running lmde2 on 3.18.6-kali-linux.
" That's because i have penetration testing tools installed and i needed a patched kernel for them to work :)

d4rk ~ # uname -a
Linux d4rk 3.18.0-kali2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.18.6-1+kali1 (2015-02-24) x86_64 GNU/Linux
d4rk ~ #
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Not any part or program in LMDE Betsy has been tested by Mint developers to work with this new kernel.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

yes or no?
no!
that is an ubuntu kernel and LMDE is not ubuntu-based, it's debian-based.
d4rk50ld13r

Post by d4rk50ld13r »

zerozero wrote:yes or no?
no!
that is an ubuntu kernel and LMDE is not ubuntu-based, it's debian-based.
Oh yeh , i forgot that Ubuntu is " Red Hat" based !!
i've been using linux since 2004 and i didnt know that Debian & Ubuntu are using 2 different kernels !
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

No, it is not!
d4rk50ld13r

Post by d4rk50ld13r »

richyrich wrote:
No, it is not!

I see you dont understand sarcasm !!!! never mind :)
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

If you really want the 4.0 kernel in LMDE. You could use SMXI and install the Siduction kernel..

SMXI
http://smxi.org/

http://packages.siduction.org/?Repositories:base_amd64

Code: Select all

linux-image-4.0.0-towo.1-siduction-amd64 (4.0-1) 
I have the 3.19-3 towo installed with no issues... :wink:
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

d4rk50ld13r wrote:i've been using linux since 2004 and i didnt know that Debian & Ubuntu are using 2 different kernels !
so it's time to start reading and leaning some;
they use 2 different kernels.
RTFM
d4rk50ld13r

Post by d4rk50ld13r »

zerozero wrote:
d4rk50ld13r wrote:i've been using linux since 2004 and i didnt know that Debian & Ubuntu are using 2 different kernels !
so it's time to start reading and leaning some;
they use 2 different kernels.
RTFM
They do use the same kernel uploaded at http://www.kernel.org.
Ubuntu is based on Debian and they use the same kernel.
YOU RTFM.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Ubuntu builds their kernels a little different from what I have read. I have used Debian kernels in Ubuntu but have never tried it the other way around. There used to be a script that would help you build your own custom kernel but I have not seen it around for a few years.

An Ubuntu kernel might work but I wouldn't try it. If everything is working under the current kernel there is really nothing to gain by upgrading it.
tonygall2000

Post by tonygall2000 »

Regarding kernels, each distribution tunes the kernel to their needs, to a greater or lesser extent. They may also make modifications to the code, which may or may not be accepted back into the upstream kernel code. I remember trying things like this out when I first came to Linux, and incompatibilities with the C library, and other things, left me with a system that wouldn't load a GUI or even boot in some cases. Issues like this happen less frequently now, but I'd still be wary.

LMDE 2 is based on the stable branch of debian, so choosing the distribution means foregoing the latest software in the name of stability. If you want to stay with Debian, but want newer software, download one of the testing images from the debian site. The disadvantage of debian proper is that you will have to manually add sudo capabilities, third party repositories and keep it updated through apt-get. You also lose a lot of the niceties of the Mint desktop. If you stay with LMDE, you get an old, but stable, kernel which receives security updates. The question is, unless you have a real need to upgrade your kernel, why would you? When the next version of debian becomes stable, you will get an upgraded kernel and much more. In the meantime, you have stability.

To answer your question, I wouldn't upgrade the kernel with anything other than the official LMDE packages. Basically, if it's working okay for you, leave it alone. If you absolutely have to have the latest thing, Manjaro is one to try, though I had problems with it myself, particularly with newer PCs which have UEFI (all those designed for Windows 8 or later).
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

I'm running Betsy on the Liquorix 4.1 kernel right now.

Code: Select all

fred@aussie! ~ $ uname -r
4.1-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
I've got the instructions here, if you're interested.

However, I agree with the others here: Don't change kernels unless for a good reason!
Ultimately, it's your machine and you can do what you want with it, but you increase the chances of breakage by changing kernels. On the other hand, you could always follow KDB's advice: "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is." ;)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “LMDE Archive”