How to setup DisplayLink USB VGA adapter for third monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hashcode

How to setup DisplayLink USB VGA adapter for third monitor

Post by hashcode »

Ok so after transitioning to linux mint I have pretty much set everything up(virtual box with win7 in seamless mode . apps, etc.) the only thing left is configuring and setting up my third monitor which is connected via a USB DisplayLink adapter. I have the "green screen" and everything I am just still a super noob and novice to configure a xorg.inf or that config file to set up a picture for the third monitor. Is there a simpler way if not a link or step by step instruction will be nice

Thanks for everything so far !
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to setup DisplayLink USB VGA adapter for third monit

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
hashcode

Post by hashcode »

bump
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

wow 9 months later and still no answer to this issue....i have same problem
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
kb5won

Post by kb5won »

bump

I just plugged in a mimo um-710s USB monitor which uses displaylink. I get the green screen. Reading through the solutions found from google has me discouraged.... hoping for a simple solution!

Using LinuxMint13-Mate.
gunalmel

Post by gunalmel »

Installed Linux Mint 14 with 3.5.0-17-generic kernel. I googled everything I could to find a way to get my displaylink (usb to dvi ) device working with my monitor. No luck. I would appreciate step by step guidance.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

ive come to the conclusion after 4 years of linux use is that, if you require dual monitor to work using vga devices as such, just use windows and problems solved, sorry for the rant but people like myself are after simple click, patch/install to get such devices to work and not follow pages of confusing file tweaks to get 2nd monitor to work (if it works) and hope it dosnt bork your system.
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
jaws222

Post by jaws222 »

Guys, it is possible to get Displaylink working as a third monitor but you get degraded performance. (lag) You need to download the 3.10 kernel.

http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-kernel-3-10-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-debian-and-derivates/

I have an Nvidia driver which failed right out of the box so I had to go install the Noveau driver from "Device drivers" located within System Settings. After a reboot go under "Displays" and configure your three monitors and they do show, but like I said the performance is severely degraded. When I just had my 2 19inch monitors everything works perfectly. Adding the third is where it fails.

I've been playing with it the last few hours with my Mint 15 installation and trying various desktop environments but they all suffer as far as quality goes. I tried Razor-QT, XFCE and even Openbox with no luck. The closest I came was Razor-QT but as soon as I launched a movie on my third monitor (which is a 37 inch TV) my picture was garbled. If you plan on using 3 monitors the same size you may have luck. Go to the link above, follow the download instructions, and like I said your proprietary Nvidia drivers will fail out of the box (not sure about ATI/AMD) so install the Noveau and then try different desktop environments until you find the right combo. Let me know how it goes. Maybe I can get my system working.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

There is probably no easy solution yet, but it'll certainly be possible to do this in future since a lot of work is being done currently for more support of dual GPU in the X server.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ikdus

Post by ikdus »

I installed kernel 3.10 ( coming from 3.8 ) as described in the link above, and Linux Mint instantly detected the USB attached screen (using displaylink). I am using Linux Mint 15. Using a high resolution 1920x1080 on the second screen did degrade performance so instead I now use 1280x1024 (my main laptop monitor is 1600x900 and I am using a NVIDIA NVS 5100M graphics adapter with the nouveau driver). It's not ideal but at least it is working and not lagging really bad.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

OK, it's nice to know this is working - I hadn't expected that. What desktop environments are you using when you have this working? I think it's not Cinnamon?
bjx1990

Post by bjx1990 »

Hi,

Following the advice from this post several months ago, I managed to get my DisplayLink adapter working perfectly as a 3rd monitor, with my shiny new Linux Mint 15 installation.

However, I have just done a brand new install of Linux Mint 16, expecting that the DisplayLink adapter would continue to work, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

I have checked the version of the kernel (3.11.0), which is higher than the version previously installed (and working), and recommended by this post.

Mint 16 doesn't seem to recognise the DisplayLink adapter when it is plugged into my machine.

I really miss my 3rd monitor... Does anyone have any further advice for getting the DisplayLink adapter to work with Linux Mint 16??

Any advice, gratefully received. :)
dimonomid

Post by dimonomid »

Hi all.

I'm trying to move from Windows to Linux Mint, at my job I use 3 monitors (works perfectly on Windows). It's VERY convenient for me, and therefore very important. One of these monitors is connected via displaylink, so I do my best to implement the same setup on Linux.

I tried to use Mint 13 (LTS), but I was failed to set displaylink: I have installed kernel 3.10, and at system startup monitor goes active, but the only thing displayed is a non-blinking cursor at the left-top corner. Xrandr does not see this monitor at all. I tried to follow these instructions: http://how-to.cc/get-a-displaylink-vide ... untu-12-04 , and it started to work ugly, but I want my setup to be easily configurable (as it is on Windows), so I want to use xrandr.

In this topic, I've read that it works on Mint 15 with kernel 3.10, and, surprizingly, doesn't work on Mint 16 (with kernel 3.11.0). So I decided to set up Mint 15 and to upgrade kernel to 3.10.

After this, displaylink somewhat works. "Somewhat" - because, unfortunately, it is SO slow!! If only I turn this display off in the monitor settings (but don't unplug it), everything goes super-fast. But if display is ON, it seems that all the hardware acceleration disappears, and everything goes very slow.

I removed standard wallpapers and have set just plain color, now it somewhat faster, but anyway uncomparable with normal functionality. Even when I move some slider, or visually select some files by mouse, it goes extremely slow and I'm going sad.

I tried to use proprietary drivers (Nvidia GeForce 210), but then my X totally crashed at the next reboot. Then I unplugged displaylink, rebooted again, X started but ugly (only one monitor is available), so I switched back to nouveau driver.

I have found bugreport, it seems it's what happens to me: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1213338 still no solution, it seems.

Please if anyone have any experience in setting displaylink up, share your knowledge.

By the way bjx1990, what have you done, after all? Have you solved your trouble on Mint 16, and how are things work? Please tell us.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Can you maybe try to use a MATE or Xfce edition instead of Cinnamon? That the 3rd monitor is slow is probably because Cinnamon requires 3D acceleration.

For future questions about DisplayLink please open a new topic instead of responding to somebody else's topic.
dimonomid

Post by dimonomid »

AlbertP wrote:Can you maybe try to use a MATE or Xfce edition instead of Cinnamon? That the 3rd monitor is slow is probably because Cinnamon requires 3D acceleration.
Oh sorry I haven't mentioned that I actually use MATE.

And, one more detail: lags aren't just because I have large area to display: say, if I turn off some of "usual" display, and leave just another "usual" and displaylink (i.e. use 2 monitors), then lags are the same as with 3 monitors.

Of course I don't know technical details, but it totally seems that all the acceleration that works for my nvidia card, disappears when displaylink monitor is active.
AlbertP wrote:For future questions about DisplayLink please open a new topic instead of responding to somebody else's topic.
Sorry, got it.
hozomean

Post by hozomean »

Since this thread came up on a google search, if you don't see the green screen with modern kernels, you'll want to run

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe udl
if you do see the green screen, you should be able to see the monitor in arandr or some similar monitor layout tool after running something like:

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0
And if you need to find out what your provider numbers are, you can run:

xrandr --listproviders
Which will show you something like:

Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x73 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 3 associated providers: 1 name:Intel
Provider 1: id: 0x41 cap: 0x2, Sink Output crtcs: 1 outputs: 1 associated providers: 1 name:modesetting
brastax

Re: How to setup DisplayLink USB VGA adapter for third monitor

Post by brastax »

Here's the solution:
Go to this link download the file and extract it to a folder. Then open Terminal. type in sudo then drag and drop the file with the .run extension to the terminal then press enter to execute.

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu

Once done, follow commands in this link then reboot your systm:

http://support.displaylink.com/knowledg ... -on-ubuntu

I hope this helps you...

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”