where can I find old Mint desktop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

where can I find old Mint desktop?

Post by mgh »

Hi All,
I had Mint installed a while back, but have not used it (or any Linux) for a while. I was way disappointed that I lost the old desktop pictures. I think I was using V3.0, and it came with great desktop pics of a woman in lotus position. I would love to get those back. I have done a Linux-Google search, but have come up with nothing. Can someone tell me how to find the old desktop pictures?
Thanks for all help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: where can I find old Mint desktop?

Post by Husse »

Artwork is presently here
http://www.linuxmint-art.org/
If you don't find it there please post back
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Thanks for the reply.

Could not find any Cassandra wallpaper/desktop there. I am a little surprised it is so hard to find. I've tried googling serveral different ways, but can't find anything close.

Thanks for the help.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I remember it. It was designed by Carlos. If you can't find it anywhere you can always download the ISO and get it from there... it's not the simplest solution but this way you've got a plan B anyway :)

Clem.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

I can not find my old ISO file, but I did find the CD I burned the image on to. But I can not find the artwork. I tried to paste a screenshot of the folder contents, but can't figure out how to do it on this forum.

At any rate, I'm still looking.

Thanks for the help.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Anyone know how I could find it on my old 3.0 install CD?

Still no luck finding it.

Thanks
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

mount the iso as loopback filesystem:

sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop,user image.iso /mountpoint

and search this for all jpg files (If some once can suggest the location of wallpaper files, then you can directly check in that directory)

EDIT: If you have the CD itself, no need to mount, you can load the CD & directly search the CD.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

I have looked and looked through the files on the CD, but darned if I can find anything. Maybe two images, and no desktop images at all. Makes me feel pretty foolish, but I just can't find any pictures on the CD.

Thanks for the reply.
rbanavara

Post by rbanavara »

on Elyssa, the desktop images are located under /usr/share/backgrounds and there are few .png images as well. probably you can look under the directory or search for .png images. The last resort would be to send a PM to Carlos...
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Well I see someone has good taste! :D Anyway I think the link for the wallpapers is floating somewhere in the forum, probably in the archive section. But you can get it straight from http://www.box.net/shared/460sn6ehqo

Have fun!
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

i'm a bit late on the scene... but the easiest way to get the images from the CD is to boot into the LiveCD environment... find the images and email them to yourself. :D
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

I will give that a try tomorrow and post back.

Thank You!
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Oh my! Thank You Carlos. Seeing those old desktops almost makes we want to go back to V3.

Better believe I bookmarked that page.

Would it be heresy to use those on my XP partition also :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”