Queries about switching from Windows 7 to Linux Mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darknet

Queries about switching from Windows 7 to Linux Mint

Post by darknet »

I am thinking about switching from Windows 7 to Linux Mint due to privacy concerns and since Linux Mint is free. I have a powerfull i7 laptop with both SSD drive and HDD drive installed.

I use Private Internet Access (PIA). So need an Ubuntu based distro to run PIA in Linux.

1. I would like to create VM's in the Linux Mint, without any additional Type 2 Hypervisor softwares like Virtualbox or VMware. Is this possible? KVM?

2. Any free softwares to encrypt keystrokes (what I type needs to be encrypted, so that no key logger can capture what i type) ?

3. I would like to run all applications and OS from RAM (no paging). Is it possible on Linux Mint?

4. How to disable all logs in Linux Mint (Privacy concerns) - What to hide what application i used last, Last accessed date, etc?

5. Are the data leaks and Ad issues (Amazon) as in Ubuntu 14.x with Linux Mint?

6. Is it possible to spoof OS, Processor, TTL and other machine information in Linux Mint?

Appretiate any help in this regard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Queries about switching from Windows 7 to Linux Mint

Post by Mute Ant »

This distribution will give you an idea of what is possible right now using a Debian [=Ubuntu] [=Mint] system.
...Runs in RAM
...Uses TOR
...Loads from USB stick
...ignores storage on the host machine
...wipes RAM and quits really fast
...looks like a Windows desktop
Everything TAILS can do is possible in Mint, but you will have to work at it.
''I have a powerful i7 laptop''
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
"The kind of answers you get to your technical questions depends as much on the way you ask the questions as on the difficulty of developing the answer."
darknet

Post by darknet »

Mute Ant wrote: Everything TAILS can do is possible in Mint, but you will have to work at it.
Thanks for the reply,
May I know how is it possible with LinuxMint. I am a beginner with Linux!
UltramaticOrange

Post by UltramaticOrange »

I would expect TAILS to do more for you than Mint, but for anyone wondering about the same stuff:

1: Yes, KVM with qemu
2: I did some reading on how keystroke encryption works; Any decent keylogger is going to read directly from the keyboard buffer which is the same mechanism that keystroke encryption uses. Doing this in windows is trivial, but in Linux, (based on what I've read and the code snippets I've seen) it requires you to be root.
3: Edit /proc/sys/vm/swappiness and set the value to 0.
4: I'd chmod /var/log to 000 and see what blows up.
5: Shouldn't be, but I can't claim to be an expert here. If there are, I'll be dropping Mint.
6: Yes, I'd expect so, but would require root. I'd create monitoring for unexpected changes in /dev.
Shunjoss

Post by Shunjoss »

i know this not really related but, if you need a software you have on windows and you want an alternative in linux this site could be useful :
http://alternativeto.net/
darknet

Post by darknet »

@Mute Ant "Everything TAILS can do is possible in Mint, but you will have to work at it."

May I know how is it possible with LinuxMint.

Return to “Beginner Questions”