[SOLVED] Why does my Java program crash when compiled

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
peter_62au
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Why does my Java program crash when compiled

Post by peter_62au »

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum. I've got a Java program that I'm trying to port from windows to mint cinnamon. It works perfectly when run in netbeans (Linux version 8.0.2) but when I try to run the compiled jar it crashes. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why does my Java program crash when compiled

Post by xenopeek »

Run it through a debugger? Fish out the stacktrace and figure out what's wrong with your program?
peter_62au
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peter_62au »

Probably some more info might be helpful. The program starts properly displays input boxes and accepts input but crashes as soon as it needs to access a file. But it only does this after I build the jar file and try to run it then. Within netbeans it runs perfectly with no errors. At the risk of sounding like an idiot I've only ever used netbeans and I don't know what a stacktrace is.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Start your Java program from the terminal. JVM should output a stacktrace there if it crashes, telling you where exactly it crashes. Usually it is sequence list of functions or methods calling each other, allowing you to figure out in which function or method the program crashed and perhaps some info on why. A debugger will do more.

Sounding like another idiot, I don't know netbeans :) Perhaps it sets up your runtime environment differently.
peter_62au
Level 1
Level 1

Post by peter_62au »

Managed to get it to run by using java -jar <program name> . Still won't run by double clicking the icon though. But at least I can use it now. One step closer to ditching windows. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”