LMDE1 -->LMDE2 or...

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

LMDE1 -->LMDE2 or...

Post by xfrank »

Given the many issues in the path of upgrading from 1 to 2 (see: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=100 ) I'm seriously considering other options for my main productive PC:

1 - a fresh install of LMDE2
2 - a fresh install of the main ubuntu-based LM17 (maybe installing another DE: Xfce instead of Mate)
3 - trying another distro (plain Debian 8? Sparky? Xubuntu? or even an arch-based distro like Manjaro or Antergos)

Pro and cons:
1: refresh all, wipe unused stuff and hidden garbage. But will take a long time (weeks maybe) to restore customizations and reinstall all the useful stuff.
2: refresh all... etc. Easier "default" branch of Mint. PPAs! Swapping DE from Mate to Xfce (which I prefer). But will take a long time to restore... etc.
3: curiosity and coolness of trying another distro. But (all the cons about reinstall mentioned above), sadness and feeling a bit guilty to quit the Mint community. :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE1 -->LMDE2 or...

Post by exploder »

Why not take a look at LMDE 2 and then decide?
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

OK, I will try first in a secondary/test pc. But I'm not asking for advice, I'm just curious about ideas/plans from other LMDE customers. :)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Why not attempting a LMDE2 upgrade?
Monsta posted an issue free upgrade path.

Just prepare a live-USB in case you need it and backup your data.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

killer de bug wrote:Monsta posted an issue free upgrade path.
That was not a howto but merely my experience. Other users might stumble upon issues I missed (e.g. some things not reproducible in a virtual machine).
Besides, it's only for Cinnamon edition. I'll test MATE edition upgrade once Clem pushes the updates for two packages that cause conflicts on upgrade (see the last part of this post).

Update: the MATE updates are in, Clem just pushed them. I'll probably do the experiments tomorrow then.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Monsta wrote: That was not a howto but merely my experience.
Can someone refresh my memory -- are we still waiting for an 'official' upgrade path/script for the migration from LMDE 1 to LMDE 2? Or are we on our own?
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I'm not waiting - I'm currently helping Clem to prepare it, basing on users' feedback and my own experience :)
itsme4401

Post by itsme4401 »

Can someone refresh my memory -- are we still waiting for an 'official' upgrade path/script for the migration from LMDE 1 to LMDE 2? Or are we on our own?
From the blog that officially announced LMDE2: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2809
Upgrade instructions:
We’re currently working on an upgrade path for LMDE 1 users.
Announcements will be made on this blog when the upgrade is ready.
So IMHO we are still waiting...and waiting...and waiting....and...
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Monsta wrote: That was not a howto but merely my experience. Other users might stumble upon issues I missed (e.g. some things not reproducible in a virtual machine).
I totally agree. I have never said it was a tutorial. Just that it is something possible and that it should be taken into consideration.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I put the following in the forum rules block on every LMDE 1 forum. For those that glance over it and miss it copied it here :)

Return to “LMDE Archive”