Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Broadcom 4318 Howto for Elyssa

Post by georgeg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:20 am

Arron wrote:
Anyhow, how did you make out? Is the wifi working well for you?
Nope. No joy, tho I did get wicd installed. I don't want to take over your thread so I guess its time to start my own.

plowna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plowna » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:18 am

Arron wrote:
plowna: Do you have a copy of this newer driver i could try out?

Certainly do, I thought I'd go over the HP website with an eye to getting an even newer driver (which I've achieved). They have a software/driver repo at

[url]ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq[/url]

Had a bit of a linux moment while sorting through the directories ... a command like this

Code: Select all

wget -r -nH -np --cut-dirs=2 -A.html,.txt,.cva ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq
will download all the .txt and .html files (which describe what each .cab and .exe contains ... note this takes quite a while to download) and then another command like this

find ./ -name *.html -exec grep -l sp38766 '{}' \;
(subsitute .html with .txt and .cva to search those files as well)

found a newer driver for me. So here's the link:
[url]ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp39501-40000/sp39912.exe[/url]

Put it in its own directory and type into your shell:

cabextract file.exe
And you should find your driver. The one I mention above has the 4.170.77.3 version of the driver in there (from March 12, 2008). So far its the newest driver I can find from there, I'll give it a go and let you know how it goes.

plowna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plowna » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:23 am

I tried the driver - it does work, but it hasn't really fixed anything for me. I did however figure out how to reproduce getting my connection to work. I have to remove and modprobe ndiswrapper, then start wpa_supplicant by hand (using a custom .conf) and then poll for dhcp using dhclient.

Anything else and dhclient just won't get an IP address. Note this is only to get it working on my WPA2 network - WEP and open are fine (but unacceptable).

Can't hurt to use the latest drivers though =)

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:19 pm

Are you using wicd? If so change the WPA driver under preferences to WEXT. I do not know why, but it does not get a ip under any other one.

plowna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plowna » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:06 pm

wicd is basically a front-end to wpa_supplicant and dhclient - so telling it to use ndiswrapper means it will pass that option through to wpa_supplicant. I'm not sure if the -Dndiswrapper option is deprecated or something, but -Dwext uses the linux wireless extensions, which still uses ndiswrapper.

Currently, wicd has the same problem as when I do it manually - dhclient simply won't pick up an address over dhcp. I'm not sure if the problem is with dhclient, the kernel or ndiswrapper. But I have figured out how to get it to work reasonably reliably. Need to restart ndiswrappper, then load wpa_supplicant by hand with a custom config and then run dhclient.

Its possible to fine-tune how wicd starts up wpa_supplicant by editing its configs in /opt/wicd/data/manager-settings.conf and the appropriate defaults file under /opt/wicd/encryption/configuration/ (for me it was wpa).

georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by georgeg » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:06 am

plowna wrote: I did however figure out how to reproduce getting my connection to work. I have to remove and modprobe ndiswrapper, then start wpa_supplicant by hand (using a custom .conf) and then poll for dhcp using dhclient.
Could you explain how to do that, step by step? I'm still trying to get my Mint to work but no luck yet.

plowna
Level 1
Level 1

Post by plowna » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:01 am

georgeg wrote: Could you explain how to do that, step by step? I'm still trying to get my Mint to work but no luck yet.
First of all drop any ip address that dhclient has and kill any dhclients or wpa-supplicants running

sudo dhclient -r wlan0
then

sudo killall dhclient
Same for dhclient3 and wpa_supplicant.

I don't know if it does anything but I shut down dbus dhcpd as well:

sudo /etc/init.d/dhcdbd stop
Shut down ndiswrapper

sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
Start it up again

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
(You can check it loaded properly by typing dmesg into your terminal)
Now you can check if wpa_supplicant is exchanging keys correctly (you should have already gotten your wpa_supplicant.conf organised ... if not check here - edit - that deals with /etc/network/interfaces - you want to set up your /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf - try this one)

sudo wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -Dwext -c/path/to/your/wpa_supplicant.conf
You should get a few lines ofoutput, there should be a couple in there that say 'connected' or somesuch ... if it works. When I get a chance I'll paste some successful output from mine. It will tend to to re-exchange the keys every few seconds or so, it tends to flood your terminal. We were just checking so press ctrl-c.

If its connecting properly and exchanging keys then you can run the same command but in daemon mode (-B):

sudo wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan0 -Dwext -c/path/to/your/wpa_supplicant.conf
Once that is running then you can try and get dhclient to pick up an IP:

sudo dhclient wlan0
If it does, happy days. If it doesn't, not my problem.

RyanM
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RyanM » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Arron,

Thanks for the How-To. I've run PCLinux OS, openSUSE 11, and now Linux Mint. I always look for the BCM43xx how to's, cause my Dell laptop uses that chipset with the Intel 845G, so video can be an issue also. I did what you said, and it works! Thank you!! I did restart twice, and after I am wireless now at startup. :D

I've wanted to run Ubuntu, and video was always freaking out and hard to configure. Mint 4.0 didn't quite work for me either, and running it in VMware to play with Ubuntu and Mint was great, and Elyssa works great so far!

I just wanted to extend my thanks again!

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm

I have gotten lots of interest on my script, I will try to find somewhere to save it to for download instead of sending me your email.

As well I have found that the generic broadcom driver does not work on all broadcom cards, I am in the process of changing my script to make it more optional as well, with instructions on how to get the broadcom drivers for your specific pc.

I have made some small changes to the howto, ill post separate here till i get more feedback:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is best to find the driver for your specific laptop, a simple web search with your laptop name and model with "wireless driver" should find it.

Extract that driver package if needed, then put it on a usb stick, or somewhere you can access it with Mint offline.

Now in mint you need to add it to your ndiswrapper setup, in the menu go to Administration -> Windows Wireless Drivers.

Then click install new drivers. Then browse to where you extracted your driver file to, and select the file with .inf on the end, most i have seen are called bcmwl5.inf but may be a little different. Click ok, and it should say the hardware is present.

We need to make a script to bring up the card properly:

Run:

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/broadcom-wirelessfix.sh
Now paste and save this into it:

#!/bin/bash

modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44
Then you need to make this script executable and add it to the startup, run these commands....

cd /etc/init.d
sudo chmod 755 broadcom-wirelessfix.sh
sudo update-rc.d broadcom-wirelessfix.sh defaults
Now it should work on startup. Just reboot your laptop and check for the light.

I would highly recommend installing wicd, I put it in my package, or you can follow the instructions from the website:
http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

To break it down to make it simple for you to do it offline before you connect, download the wicd package separately, and save the file somewhere you can get to it easily (i saved it with my wireless drivers). Grab it form the site, or a direct link is:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/wicd/w ... .3_all.deb

Then open a terminal to where you have that file saved (right click in the file browser and open terminal here) then run this, it will remove the gnome wifi manager (i don't like nearly as much as wicd) and install the package file you downloaded

* this version was the stable wicd verson when i did this, it will change with time, look at the wicd_*.*.*_all.deb file for changes

sudo aptitude purge network-manager
sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.5.3_all.deb 
Now add the wicd to our package manager for updates, run this:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
And paste and save this at the end of the file:

## Repository for Wicd
deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
One last thing, you need to have the wicd manager icon run at login.
To add the tray icon go to Control Center -> Sessions, then the Startup programs tab, unlock it then add:

Name: WICD Tray Icon
Command: /opt/wicd/tray.py
Comment: This will startup the WICD network manager.

This will allow for automatic updates of wicd.

This should do it, you should be up and running now, good luck! My script does most of this on its own.

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Getting lots of good feedback.

Here is the tarball, looking for input.

http://files.mint-space.com/getfile,200 ... ar.gz.html

I have added wicd to start for all users, several broadcom drivers I have found, new version of wicd, wicd key for apt to use with updates, and made it as automated as i could.

Arron

blingenfelter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blingenfelter » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:56 pm

So I followed all the directions (and then some, I think) and finally, after I'd been fighting this battle for a week or more, your solution got me online wirelessly. Yipee!

BUT, now my sound is out. How could these two issues be connected?

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Did you use the windows drivers for your laptop? shouldn't effect it :-P

blingenfelter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blingenfelter » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:42 pm

For the sound or for the wifi?
Pretty sure I'm using the windows drivers for the wifi, but I did a complete install with Mint, so I haven't begun really working on the sound yet. It's not as urgent as the wireless, but it's certainly something I'm going to fiddle with. I'm pretty new to coding, but I got through the wicd all right.
And the more I think about it, the less sure I am that the sound was working before the wifi...I'm not sure either way. I still get the beeps for power cord being pulled, but nothing else, and I was so wrapped up in pursuing different ways I might fix my wifi, maybe I never did anything that required more than a system beep.
Anyway...
8280 HDA Intel Sound

Steer me if you can.

Thanks,
Ben

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:31 pm

This may sound silly, but make sure it is turned up, and not muted (my mute button does not light up like in windows). run

lsmod
and post the output. But for this start a new thread, and send me a private message with the new thread. Its most likely something else. Check out

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=809785

and

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=616845

May be of some help.

Welcome to Mint!

blingenfelter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by blingenfelter » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Okay. Done.

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=18220

I'll check those sites out.

Ben

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:50 pm

There has been some changes with WICD and a couple other small things with wifi. I have updated my Howto, to make it a lot shorter, and here it is.

Please let me know if this new howto get you up and running, before I replace the old one that works for many.

Thanks.

New Broadcom 4300 Hotwo:

1. Download your broadcom wifi driver for Windows, unzip it and save it somewhere u can access it on Mint ( like a usb stick ).
2. In mint go into your menu - Administration - Windows wireless Drivers
3. Add you wifi drivers here (should be a .inf file), and it should say the hardware is present.

Reboot, and see if you can connect with gnome network manager (or WICD with XFCE or Fluxbox edition). If you still have no luck with it running, you need to start up the drivers in a certain order:

Run this:

sudo nano /etc/init.d/rc.local
add this onto the bottom of the file:

# added for broadcom WIFI
modprobe -r b44
modprobe -r b43
modprobe -r b43legacy
modprobe -r ssb
modprobe -r ndiswrapper
modprobe ndiswrapper
modprobe b44
That *should* do it, good luck, post your success/failure stories please.

WICD Option.

Unfortunately I had no luck with gnome network manager with broadcom for some reason. After may hours I gave up on wifi for a while. Later on I read about some others who had the same problem, and found it was broadcom and gnome network manager did not work well together,so I used WICD, I like it a lot better and never had a problem since.

Thsi is their site:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
If you have network connection in Mint, install instructions are on their website.

If you do not have an Internet connection in Mint, and you need to do this off line, go to this website and grab the .deb package:

http://apt.wicd.net/
grab the wicd_1.5.6_all.deb file from there (or the current version)

Then run:

sudo aptitude purge network-manager
sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.5.6_all.deb
Reboot is needed here. Then open WICD and configure for your network. You should be in action now.

active8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by active8 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi,

your Broadcom-Mint-Install.tar.gz file is no longer available.

could you repost this again as I could really do with this.

thanks

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 pm

active8 wrote:Hi,

your Broadcom-Mint-Install.tar.gz file is no longer available.

could you repost this again as I could really do with this.

thanks
Hi

Read my last post,

http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 18#p119930

You will probably have better luck this way, and a little simpler too.

Arron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arron » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:47 pm

This setup is still needed for Gloria, and works well for gloria.

Here is a cleaned up, simplified tarball of what I use without any problems. I am by no way a script junkie, and if someone is, please clean it up!

http://chillsphere.com/Broadcom-Mint-In ... 2.0.tar.gz

I tried to document it fairly well. People who use it, please leave me some feedback.

Arron

cmactavish
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cmactavish » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi Arron,

I've got a MacBook 3,1 which used the broadcom 4328 drivers, would any of the files in the tar file be relevant? Perhaps the generic ones?

Return to “Wireless”