Release: Linux Mint 5 KDE CE

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Release: Linux Mint 5 KDE CE

Post by clem »

We are proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 5 KDE Community Edition:

http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_elyssa_kde.php

I would like to thank Jamie "Boo" Birse for maintaining this edition. Our last poll indicated that 11% of Linux Mint users were running KDE CE so I'm sure this will come as great news :)

Notes:
- If you previously downloaded RC1 you do not need to upgrade/reinstall.
- There won't be any miniKDE ISO coming with this release.

Clem
Burgerman_

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE Community Edition

Post by Burgerman_ »

Super nouvelle. J'adore mon KDE 4, je suis impatient d'essayer le 5 :-)
Faut-il refaire une "full install" ou y a-t-il possibilité d'upgrader ?
Merci, et bonne continuation.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I can't believe only 11 percent are using this version of Mint. It's the best yet from the Mint team. Keep up the excellent work! Mint is the best linux distro on Earth! Mint blows away all the rest.
Salamantis

Post by Salamantis »

Last edited by Salamantis on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

No mention on distrowatch yet either. A bit unusual as the Xfce edition was announced on distrowatch the same day it was released. I would have thought the KDE version of Mint would be the most popular as well. It was the only distro that was able to attract me to switch over after being a dedicated user of Mepis for over 3 years. But anyway, thanks very much boo for another spectacular effort.
Minty95

Post by Minty95 »

Managed to get my MSI Wind to boot with this one :)

Though will stay with Ubuntu untill you get the next version of Mint Gnome is out as the current version can't boot on the Wind (and I don't like KDE)

great job and hurry up with the next version :) an really looking forward to using Mint on the wind
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

If I read Clem's post correctly, if I have KDE CE - RC1 already burned to a disk, then there is no need to download and burn a new disk? In other words, KDE RC1 and the final version are one and the same, with absolutely no differences? I am about to install it on a new computer so I want to make sure.
Salamantis

Post by Salamantis »

Last edited by Salamantis on Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tawan

Post by tawan »

Salamantis wrote:
Salamantis wrote:Can you please link me to the poll? I want to see which version is most popular :)

Great work on Mint!
Can anyone answer my question, please?
not exactly but i remember this http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=188 :)
big_dog1968 wrote:If I read Clem's post correctly, if I have KDE CE - RC1 already burned to a disk, then there is no need to download and burn a new disk? In other words, KDE RC1 and the final version are one and the same, with absolutely no differences? I am about to install it on a new computer so I want to make sure.
I gather (maybe incorrectly) that there is a small difference but it will be fixed with the updater. I don't know the source of that information :) maybe i was in IRC or read it somewhere so don't hold me to it ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

kb0hae wrote:
I just installed Linux Mint 4.0 (KDE Community edition) .... My current installation is fully updated. Do I need to install version 5?
If your system is like you want it to be and performs all the functions you ask of it, I see little reason to update to the latest and greatest. The repositories of Mint 5 will have some/many programs that are a later version than the ones in Mint 4, but that is a double edged sword.

My wife still uses Mint 4 KDE CE. It does everything she needs just fine. It is solid as a rock. I spruce it up once in a while with a new background and/or theme. She is happy with it. I am reminded of two old sayings. "Let a sleeping dog lie" and "When Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!" :-)

Fred
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

roadrash wrote:No mention on distrowatch yet either. A bit unusual as the Xfce edition was announced on distrowatch the same day it was released. I would have thought the KDE version of Mint would be the most popular as well. It was the only distro that was able to attract me to switch over after being a dedicated user of Mepis for over 3 years. But anyway, thanks very much boo for another spectacular effort.
Distrowatch won't report on this release. Going forward we're likely to see more Mint releases not show up on Distrowatch, especially for community and x64 editions. The reason is that we're supporting too many flavors/architectures and that we can't release all of them at the same time, so we're seen as flooding the site with news-unworthy announcements... of course I disagree with this, but again I don't maintain distrowatch :)

As for popularity, KDE CE is by far the most popular version of Mint after the Main Edition. According to a poll it is used by 11% of our user base.

Clem.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

clem wrote: Distrowatch won't report on this release. Going forward we're likely to see more Mint releases not show up on Distrowatch, especially for community and x64 editions. The reason is that we're supporting too many flavors/architectures and that we can't release all of them at the same time, so we're seen as flooding the site with news-unworthy announcements... of course I disagree with this, but again I don't maintain distrowatch :)

Clem.

I've always said the nature of life is change and the more things change the more they stay the same. There's very little that's logical in this world so why should DistroWatch be any different.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Release: Linux Mint 5 KDE CE

Post by clem »

Well Distrowatch is the most successful Linux-related website on the Internet so they're definitely doing something right. I read it a lot too and I appreciate its content. It deserves to be #1 and so it is. Now some decisions are controversial and this one we'll have a tough time agreeing with but I'm not here to judge, just to inform on what's going on. People also disagree on this kind of topic so there's two sides of the fence I guess. Whatever happens you can be sure every single release, community or not, x86 or x64 is going be to be announced on our website, here on the forums, on the blog and on the start page. So if you're looking forward to a future release make sure to check these sites and don't solely rely on the announcement appearing on Distrowatch.

Clem
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I agree and I admire how diplomatic you are. You're one of the few people I know who is always very civil and polite. We need more of that in this world.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Not sure if I am the only one having a problem or not, but I am unable to get anything from the KDE torrent. All of my other versions of Mint 5 are working just fine with Transmission, and I am seeding as much as possible with them.

However, the KDE torrent keeps giving me this message: "Torrent is not authorized for use on this tracker. – Idle"

If the problem is with the torrent, perhaps someone can fix it. If the problem is on my end, maybe someone can give me a pointer on how to get it cranked up. I have never had this type of problem previously with Transmission. All of the other torrents ( http://linuxmint.de/downloads.html ) are working flawlessly.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention it. If anyone has any suggestions, please share.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

clem wrote:Well Distrowatch is the most successful Linux-related website on the Internet so they're definitely doing something right. I read it a lot too and I appreciate its content. It deserves to be #1 and so it is. Now some decisions are controversial and this one we'll have a tough time agreeing with but I'm not here to judge, just to inform on what's going on. People also disagree on this kind of topic so there's two sides of the fence I guess. Whatever happens you can be sure every single release, community or not, x86 or x64 is going be to be announced on our website, here on the forums, on the blog and on the start page. So if you're looking forward to a future release make sure to check these sites and don't solely rely on the announcement appearing on Distrowatch.

Clem
------------------------------------------------------
Hi Clem,

Ok, i can understand Distrowatch's criteria. i would like to suggest you for the (Mint Gnome Main Edition 6 "Felicia") Upcoming, to send to (Distrowatch)
more Betas and RCs (like Ubuntu does) and final version - release notes.
Ubuntu alpha 1 to 6 now...after this betas and RCs ( a lot of them) Then, final edition...C'mon! I think this is not fair . Other distros do the same.

Well, i am sure sure that you know the best for Linux Mint. It's up to you and i just posted here in a suggestion.

Cheers
Roberto
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We're supporting 3 editions (Main, Light and x64) and three community editions (KDE, XFCE and Fluxbox). Light (which will become Universal) comes at the same time as Main and only with the stable release as it is basically built from it. Other releases come as RCs first so you can test them and then directly as stable. I don't see the need to have ALPHA or BETA releases (unless we're doing experimental stuff like we did with the Debian ISO for instance). So if things go fine, within the 6 months we announce 5 stable releases and 5 RCs, for a total of 11 ISOs. I'll make a poll after x64 and Fluxbox CE go stable to assess the popularity of each edition.

Clem.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

clem wrote:Well Distrowatch is the most successful Linux-related website on the Internet so they're definitely doing something right. I read it a lot too and I appreciate its content. It deserves to be #1 and so it is. Now some decisions are controversial and this one we'll have a tough time agreeing with but I'm not here to judge, just to inform on what's going on. People also disagree on this kind of topic so there's two sides of the fence I guess. Whatever happens you can be sure every single release, community or not, x86 or x64 is going be to be announced on our website, here on the forums, on the blog and on the start page. So if you're looking forward to a future release make sure to check these sites and don't solely rely on the announcement appearing on Distrowatch.

Clem
Strange though that every little move over at *buntu is monitored and reported meticulously... :roll:
Sensational! - Mark Shuttleworth changed his socks today!!!
Or as we say at the marketing department - Everything is for sale - if the price is right! :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

Distrowatch won't report on this release. Going forward we're likely to see more Mint releases not show up on Distrowatch, especially for community and x64 editions. The reason is that we're supporting too many flavors/architectures and that we can't release all of them at the same time, so we're seen as flooding the site with news-unworthy announcements... of course I disagree with this, but again I don't maintain distrowatch :)
I think its more down to the page hits counter reflecting the popularity chart, giving Mint more overall hits than they seem it deserves because of its many flavours being released on different dates. All the various flavours of Ubuntu like Kubuntu & Xubuntu have there own sites and each one counted separately, therefor as each one is released they do not award hits to Ubuntu's counter.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

OK, let's not hijack this thread, let's go back to the matter at hand here: KDE CE. Discussions about Distrowatch should go in the Chat section. This thread should be used to report feedback on the release.

Clem.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”