System Restore

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

System Restore

Post by Pierre »

in the World of Windows, there is System Restore,
which whilst it's not perfect, has helped out,
- in the event of something like a hardware driver issue,.
and for the Mac, there is Time Machine,

In the World of Linux, there was Remastersys - which has been discontinued.
:(

- there are some other Linux projects:

Systemback: Restore Your Linux System To Previous State
http://www.unixmen.com/systemback-resto ... ous-state/

and

TimeShift: Restore Your Linux Desktop To Previous State
http://www.unixmen.com/timeshift-restor ... ous-state/

& so have been looking at Systemback.
:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Dyfi

Re: System Restore

Post by Dyfi »

If only people would learn to backup correctly, especially before attempting the unknown!
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Everything is not just black & white, neither everyone needs a full fledged backup infrastructure. What we need is the right tools for specific tasks.

Snapper is one of the reason why I keep staring at OpenSuse...

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites ... llback.pdf

https://news.opensuse.org/2014/11/12/wh ... nsuse-13-2

I wish that Mint team focus on some enterprise-like features to make this amazing project even more powerful, I think it is already considered that a separate /home is the way to go and that's the first step for a Snapper solution.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

some OPs use a symlink to copy /home to to /backup,

others use both a separate /home AND /data partition,
- whilst others plug using a portable HDD as the way to backUP your stuff.
which is what is done here. ..
- with LuckyBackUP ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Plus one for portable USB hard drive for backups. Rysnc (rotating) and either Clonezilla or Qt4-fsarchiver will get you out of anywhere.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Pierre wrote:In the World of Linux, there was Remastersys - which has been discontinued.
:(
Quite a shame its development stopped (well, someone else took over but they decided not to make it available for free). What impressed me was the core was written entirely as a self-contained shell script. No need to compile anything and anyone with the appropriate skill level can make changes/improvements to the script itself.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Refracta tools will do the same job as Remastersys. I have used it on mint - but on 17 I had to search for extra dependencies.
- Google Refracta OS.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I backup and restore OS's with

Code: Select all

cp -ax 
It's pretty tricky...
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

I had a problem related to this yesterday. On the spur of the moment, I swapped the open source graphics card driver with the proprietary one and got a black screen when I rebooted. The only thing I could do to fix it was reinstall the OS and fortunately my important files are backed up to an external hard drive and various CDs/DVDs.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

You could simply have removed the graphics driver. No need to reinstall...
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

killer de bug wrote:You could simply have removed the graphics driver. No need to reinstall...
The problem is that the OS booted up to a black screen which made it impossible for me to access the Driver Manager.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Terminal and command lines are useful in this case...
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

English Invader wrote:
killer de bug wrote:You could simply have removed the graphics driver. No need to reinstall...
The problem is that the OS booted up to a black screen which made it impossible for me to access the Driver Manager.
And that's where the Live CD/DVD/USB shines. If a normal installation goes FUBAR (e.g. GUI doesn't boot up) the next course of action is to boot from the Live media, go online and search for solutions or post in forums... all within the confines of a live environment. :D
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Or go in TTY and remove with command line the graphics drivers you have just installed... :wink:
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

I use btrfs. It addresses a lot of the issues.

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/7 ... nux-part-2
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

<off topic>
killer de bug wrote:Or go in TTY and remove with command line the graphics drivers you have just installed... :wink:
Of course, this is to ASSUME the end-user knows beforehand that he/she has to use a virtual terminal and type in commands to remove the non-working graphics driver. But for the lot of end-users who don't know this (as in the case of English Invader), the next best thing is to use the live media, go online and write down the instructions FIRST. ;)

Return to “Chat about Linux”