What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Chat about Linux in general
User avatar
phd21
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6560
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by phd21 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

I use Linux Mint 17.1 KDE (32-bit for now), and I absolutely Love it.

Good article on KDE
http://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde


All the Linux Mint editions are just great free operating systems!

I have also been playing around with Kali Linux lately too; because I was helping another user with this and thought it was interesting and it is.
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

User avatar
Alley Cat
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 11:38 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ

Post by Alley Cat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:01 pm

Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 - HP Desktop with AMD Athlon 64 X2
Mint 17.1 Cinnamon x64 - HP Desktop with Intel Pentium Dual-Core
Android 4.4.4 - Motorola Moto G LTE

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by Fred Barclay » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:43 pm

phd21 wrote:
I have also been playing around with Kali Linux lately too; because I was helping another user with this and thought it was interesting and it is.
Second-best OS out there (after Mint, of course)! :)
Just be careful; the default login is in the root account, so it's a security risk to use it.
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

User avatar
MartyMint
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 937
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by MartyMint » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:29 pm

Main Workstation - Ubuntu Studio 14.04

Server - PCLinuxOS

Laptop - Ubuntu Studio 14.04/Linux Mint 17.1 KDE


All machines running 64bit installations

User avatar
ajcardiac
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 4:05 pm
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by ajcardiac » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Test rig: LM17.1 Cinnamon 32-bit
Secondary rig: LM17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Primary rig: LM17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Linux Mint 17.2/17.1 ISO Seeder.
Primary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win 8.1 / Win 10 Insider
Secondary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider
Test rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / 17.2 Mate / 17.1 Xfce / 17.1 KDE / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider

User avatar
dXTC
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:19 pm
Location: Closer to the Derby than I care to admit

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by dXTC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 pm

See my sig for details of my current lineup (two Dell C2D desktops with Mint 17.1 Cinnamon, and one Lenovo netbook with 17.1 XFCE as of this post). I'm not using any other distros at this particular moment.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Mint Cinnamon on Dell XPS 210, Optiplex 760, Inspiron N4110 and Latitude E4200;
Mint Xfce on Lenovo Ideapad S10.
Some OS X and WinXP too; I'm multi-platform like that.

User avatar
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am
Location: Bumping around in the bush

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by Fred Barclay » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:12 pm

UPDATE: Betsy MATE!
Image
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by fraxinus_63 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:29 am

Both the main PCs in our household run Mint 13 MATE, which gives complete satisfaction and is supported for nearly two more years.

However, I am now playing with Mint 17.1 XFCE on a persistent USB setup, created easily using these very complete instructions: http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/. I am now using this as my main OS on a little Compaq Mini netbook. No need to dual boot or remove the Win7 install on the netbook (for my sins there are a couple of Windows programs dealing with tax that I cannot live without.). Basically I just keep the pen drive plugged in on 99.9% of boots - after some help setting up the wifi (thanks to forum members :D) and tweaking swap and Firefox preferences it now seems to be running flawlessly.

When I have time, I am going to use this portable operating system on other computers to help me judge when to make the leap forward from Mint 13.

deleted

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by deleted » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Mint 17.1 KDE
Semplice
Lubuntu
Siduction
LinuxBBQ
-Z

mbott
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 pm
Location: Westerville, Ohio USA

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by mbott » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 or Mint 17.1 (depends on my current frame of mind, which at this moment is Minty)

--
Mike
Last edited by mbott on Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by z31fanatic » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Down to none right now.
All I get is a black screen after the login with Mint Cinnamon and it has put me off with anything Linux. Very disappointed.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by KBD47 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:07 pm

fraxinus_63 wrote:Both the main PCs in our household run Mint 13 MATE, which gives complete satisfaction and is supported for nearly two more years.

However, I am now playing with Mint 17.1 XFCE on a persistent USB setup, created easily using these very complete instructions: http://tuxtweaks.com/2014/03/create-lin ... -live-usb/. I am now using this as my main OS on a little Compaq Mini netbook. No need to dual boot or remove the Win7 install on the netbook (for my sins there are a couple of Windows programs dealing with tax that I cannot live without.). Basically I just keep the pen drive plugged in on 99.9% of boots - after some help setting up the wifi (thanks to forum members :D) and tweaking swap and Firefox preferences it now seems to be running flawlessly.

When I have time, I am going to use this portable operating system on other computers to help me judge when to make the leap forward from Mint 13.
You might enjoy doing a full install to a usb stick. I've done this many times and am going to put Mint 17 MATE on a 32 gig usb stick as a portable system. It is not a great deal more involved than what you just did. Using gparted you format the usb stick to ext 4. I usually add a bit of swap on the stick, but not necessary if you have plenty of ram. You treat the usb stick as you would a regular hard drive, point the installation to your formatted stick, the main thing is to make sure you install grub to that stick and not the hard drive of the computer you are using.

fraxinus_63
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 219
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by fraxinus_63 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:31 am

KBD47 wrote:You might enjoy doing a full install to a usb stick. I've done this many times and am going to put Mint 17 MATE on a 32 gig usb stick as a portable system. It is not a great deal more involved than what you just did. Using gparted you format the usb stick to ext 4. I usually add a bit of swap on the stick, but not necessary if you have plenty of ram. You treat the usb stick as you would a regular hard drive, point the installation to your formatted stick, the main thing is to make sure you install grub to that stick and not the hard drive of the computer you are using.
Good suggestion - thanks. As I said, I was delighted to find out how easy it was to create a persistent bootable Mint USB when I finally made the effort to try.

A former distro-hopper, the excellence of Mint LTS releases in recent years has made me settle down! In the future I am keen to explore the LXQt desktop. Many years ago I loved KDE3, and the idea of some of the old KDE goodness without the full Plasma desktop and the massive dependencies associated with KDE today appeals to me a lot. However, I'd play with this on a Mint install.

The only thing that would make me look beyond Mint at present would be a nice media production/studio distro. I am keen to learn to use Linux for recording music but have never got far with the process of setting up JACK for myself - a distro that had some of these things pre-configured might save me a lot of time.

User avatar
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 am
Location: Bulgaria

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by RacerBG » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:45 pm

On my PC I use Debian Jessie 8.1 for now... I consider playing with Slackware at some point when it reaches 14.2 though.

On my laptop there can be only one Linux distro: Mint Cinnamon! 8)
Proud of Linux Mint!

lexon
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:53 pm
Location: MA USA

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by lexon » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:34 pm

I still use Mint 17. Been using Mint since shortly after Mint 6 came out.
Mint is not as good as it once was but still better than Windows.

Mint will not work with my iPhone 4 or my iPad 4 but I hand those to my stepson who uses W7 when I need any changes for music or iBooks.

L
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit. MInt 18 64 bit Cinnamon.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by KBD47 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:13 pm

After a Xubuntu update removed wifi dongle firmware, I decided to simplify my life and installed Mint 17 Xfce on 3 of my main Linux machines.
I've seen complaints from users about Mint updater not installing Kernel updates by default--there is a good reason for that. Lose your video driver or wifi firmware on a critical machine through an update and suddenly Mint is brilliant :-)

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10659
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by Pjotr » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:52 am

KBD47 wrote:I've seen complaints from users about Mint updater not installing Kernel updates by default--there is a good reason for that. Lose your video driver or wifi firmware on a critical machine through an update and suddenly Mint is brilliant :-)
It's definitely brilliant.... Mint allows for targeted kernel updates instead of indiscriminate kernel updates.

Targeted in the sense that you can easily install a newer kernel in Mint if you need one for some reason, but you don't get one "automatically" in the heap of other, regular updates.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
ajcardiac
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun May 24, 2015 4:05 pm
Location: Yorkshire, England

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by ajcardiac » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Update

I now have all 4 distros on my test rig.
I remain removed Cinnamon 32-bit and replaced it with 64-bit on my secondary rig and Cinnamon 64-bit remains on my primary rig.
Linux Mint 17.2/17.1 ISO Seeder.
Primary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win 8.1 / Win 10 Insider
Secondary rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider
Test rig: Mint 17.2 Cinnamon / 17.2 Mate / 17.1 Xfce / 17.1 KDE / Win Vista / Win 10 Insider

mbott
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:40 pm
Location: Westerville, Ohio USA

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by mbott » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:13 pm

mbott wrote:Desktop, Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS
Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 or Mint 17.1 (depends on my current frame of mind, which at this moment is Minty)

--
Mike
I've updated my desktop to Ubuntu 15.04 and am now running the same on my laptop.

--
Mike

User avatar
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2046
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: albuquerque

Re: What Linux Distros do you currently use?

Post by MALsPa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Now running Debian Jessie, Arch, Ubuntu 14.04, openSUSE 13.2, Lubuntu 14.04, and LMDE 2. First time getting a foot back into the Mint world in quite some time (since Isadora).

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”