LiveUSB installer freezes

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
krypsin

LiveUSB installer freezes

Post by krypsin »

Hi there,

I tried installing linux mint cinnamon 17.1 to my old PC and I can boot into the LiveUSB fine, but after opening "install linux mint" it just freezes at random points. Sometimes when I am looking at my partitions.

Any idea what is going on here?
My PC fits requirements fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seeley

Re: LiveUSB installer freezes

Post by seeley »

krypsin wrote:Hi there,
I tried installing linux mint cinnamon 17.1 to my old PC ..
Normally Cinnamon is not a good choice, if your PC is too old - depends on your hardware. (Xfce could be a better choice.)
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

''freezes at random points'' Try the Compatibility Mode and try playing a video in the Live Session...random freeze can be a kernel trying to be smart with an idiot motherboard. If you are happy with the Live Session, and the installation succeeds, there's a bit more work to determine exactly which kernel feature needs to be permanently disabled for your machine.
brainout

Post by brainout »

I tried installing linux mint cinnamon 17.1 to my old PC and I can boot into the LiveUSB fine, but after opening "install linux mint" it just freezes at random points. Sometimes when I am looking at my partitions.

Any idea what is going on here?
My PC fits requirements fine.
Yeah, I had that problem too and that's why I stopped using LiveUSB. Instead, I just downloaded the iso from here in Linuxmint, and burned it to DVD, then installed from the DVD. There are programs which extract an iso into the individual files to make a bootable USB, but frankly Unetbootin and LiveUSB don't work well.. because they don't use the linuxmint repository here. They somehow use other versions or tweaked the original linuxmint version.

I know there are programs to unpack the iso into separate files, copy them into the USB, but which ones work best? After you do that, in Windows you make the stick bootable, thus: "Browse to your USB flash drive and as an administrator, click the makeboot.bat in the dir utils\win32\ (for 32-bit Windows) or makeboot64.bat in the dir utils\win64\ (for 64-bit Windows)." That quote comes from Windows Method B in http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php. Its context is how to make Clonezilla bootable, but it uses zip files not an iso. So the iso is a kind of zip file only for DVDs, so you need a converter which will extract and parse the files on your usb. So presumably after that, the 'makeboot' command would be needed.
brainout

Post by brainout »

seeley wrote:
I tried installing linux mint cinnamon 17.1 to my old PC ..
Normally Cinnamon is not a good choice, if your PC is too old - depends on your hardware. (Xfce could be a better choice.)
Xfce is no choice for a newbie. It has permissions paranoia and you can't even do basic stuff with it. I couldn't even copy to my home directory after installation, and there was no way to get the permissions to back off, even though I'm superuser. So I dumped it. Now if I were a Linux expert, and on other counts this is a fine recommendation, very customizable. Pity the permissions are so nasty and one can't figure out how to allay them, even in Terminal. Really hurts to say this, I liked the desktop a lot.
seeley

Post by seeley »

Hi!
During the last years I installed (family, friends, neighbours,...) many distributions with different DEs (Gnome, KDE, Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE, Xfce) - nowhere big problems except KDE.
If you don't know more detail, you can ' t recommend a distri or DE. Maybe MATE is a good choice - depends on the hardware (amongst others);
low < resources < high : Xfce < MATE < Cinnamon < KDE.
Xfce 4.12 is not a problem for newbies.
stevog6

Post by stevog6 »

I have a similar problem with my laptop and it's less than 2 years old. I used the Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" - Cinnamon (64-bit) LiveUSB and it booted up fine. I've went into the settings and opened a few programs and it works okay there too.

But when I try to install Linux Mint I can only go as far as the "For best results please ensure this computer has X amount of free space, connected to DC power supply, is connected to the internet" etc. and I click continue and it loads for an eternity. I'm stuck on that screen with it forever loading.

I managed to install Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 with no problems only an hour before. I thought maybe it's an issue with the latest release so I tried 17.1 and I have the exact same problem.

My laptop specs are:

Acer Aspire V5-122P
Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot

1GHz (1.4GHz with turbo) AMD A6-1450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

6GB DDR3 RAM
Crucial BX100 250GB SSD
brainout

Post by brainout »

Two solutions: 1) Reset your BIOS to Legacy, not secure boot, then try installing again. UEFI blocks the installation of another OS, so it will go into a hang. 2) Better still, don't install Linux Mint to your internal hard drive. Install it to an external hard drive or to a stick. I've done that many times now. Installed Mint 17 to first a 60 GB hard drive, then cloned that via Clonezila, to a 64 GB stick. So the internal drive of my Windows machine is not even touched. See, Mint can be installed to external drive and run just as well as if to internal. So you don't need virtual machines, dual boots, or problems with grub and Microsoft trying to hog the MBR. Just bypass it. Then you have Mint as a whole computer in your pocket, ready to plug into ANY machine with 1 GB RAM or more. And then you don't need backup either, just clone daily with Clonezilla. So you have a live bootable copy, an exact replica of that hard disk, all the time, any time.

Installation took 20-30 minutes. Details here: https://vimeo.com/groups/pcworldalumni/ ... pic:265939 or search on '10 steps' or 'diez pasos' with my nickname and 'Mint' in Google, to find the installation steps I posted in this forum.
stevog6 wrote:I have a similar problem with my laptop and it's less than 2 years old. I used the Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" - Cinnamon (64-bit) LiveUSB and it booted up fine. I've went into the settings and opened a few programs and it works okay there too.

But when I try to install Linux Mint I can only go as far as the "For best results please ensure this computer has X amount of free space, connected to DC power supply, is connected to the internet" etc. and I click continue and it loads for an eternity. I'm stuck on that screen with it forever loading.

I managed to install Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 with no problems only an hour before. I thought maybe it's an issue with the latest release so I tried 17.1 and I have the exact same problem.

My laptop specs are:

Acer Aspire V5-122P
Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot

1GHz (1.4GHz with turbo) AMD A6-1450 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

6GB DDR3 RAM
Crucial BX100 250GB SSD
stevog6

Post by stevog6 »

brainout wrote:Two solutions: 1) Reset your BIOS to Legacy, not secure boot, then try installing again. UEFI blocks the installation of another OS, so it will go into a hang.
I've tried resetting the BIOS to Legacy and the installer still hangs. What else could be the problem?
brainout

Post by brainout »

stevog6 wrote:
brainout wrote:Two solutions: 1) Reset your BIOS to Legacy, not secure boot, then try installing again. UEFI blocks the installation of another OS, so it will go into a hang.
I've tried resetting the BIOS to Legacy and the installer still hangs. What else could be the problem?
Golly, I don't know. The LiveUSB method is always glitchy for me. Sometimes works, sometimes not. Can you try using the iso burned to DVD instead? If that works, then you know the LiveUSB was the problem.
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

having the same problem here...... boots fine into the live environment but install hangs just before my install location choice should appear.
I've tried from usb and dvd same problem. also tried from uefi and legacy. weird....
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

ok well I came to the conclusion that mint installer simply does not like my bios so I went with Ubuntu 15.04 with a nice Cinnamon Desktop :)
if anybody figures out this weird bug, I'd love to know the solution!! for closure if anything ;)

Return to “Installation & Boot”