Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE RC1 (BETA 045) is out!

Post by NiksaVel »

oh.. and the tray icons not appearing I solved with making a small script to run compiz with a 15sec delay and entering that script in autostart ... works like a charm now :)

video still an issue though
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

NiksaVel wrote:video still an issue though
See above. Compiz and video playback are often incompatable. If changing out video drivers or hardware doesn't fix it, disable Compiz.
bernado

Post by bernado »

Hy,
just a few remarks

SYNAPTIC: Yes it is installed by default, but you don't find it in the menue ! :( . I know it looks ugly, but is this a reason for hiding it from us? Yes, you can make it visible by editing .....But I don't want to edit any config. Just show it in the tasty menue and everyone can decide weather to use synaptic or adept 8)

LANGUAGE PACKS : Well, Elyssa KDE comes as a DVD with lots of free space on it, so why don't you put the most important language packs on it ? english, spanish, french, german, italien should cover most of the users languages. And I am missing the F2 button to select the language from the menue when you start the live dvd (when additional language packs would be availiable).

Thats it for the moment

Berndo
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

Can someone give an idea of how "Linux Mint5 KDE CE" is progressing. I haven't seen a bug report in here now for a while now & since I sorted all the little bugs I had in the Beta 045 RC1 it has been rock steady & faultless.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

working fine and steady here as well.. been running it on my work laptop ever since it went out... working steady... but I replaced firefox with opera as default browser as ff became increasingly slow and was slowing down the entire system... especially when browsing multiple tabs with flash content...

Also.... the rest of elyssa is performing significantly faster on my lap... I am able to use compiz just fine, while it was too slow on daryna....

N
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem

Post by Guest »

Is there any word on when the GR will be out?
tawan

Post by tawan »

I just installed Beta in virtualbox (without having to burn an ISO which is cool)

looks great!!! will report findings if I find any....

wow :D
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I hope the only factor holding the KDE CE from going "gold" is the Ubiquity bugginess.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

[never mind]
Last edited by locutus on Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
takakia

Post by takakia »

Linux mint is a great distro. KDE 4 is already stable. When will LM get KDE 4 ?
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

Just found that Linux Mint 5 needs to have the package Klamav so that clamav virus scanner appears in mints system menu so it can be setup & to give a "scan with clamav" option when right clicking on a file or folder. I didn't realise but clamav was installed but because I hadn't seen it in the menu's I forgot to set it up and as a result I had been downloading things containing viruses. please ensure this Klamav package is installed by default as part of the Mint install.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

roadrash wrote:Just found that Linux Mint 5 needs to have the package Klamav so that clamav virus scanner appears in mints system menu so it can be setup & to give a "scan with clamav" option when right clicking on a file or folder. I didn't realise but clamav was installed but because I hadn't seen it in the menu's I forgot to set it up and as a result I had been downloading things containing viruses. please ensure this Klamav package is installed by default as part of the Mint install.
PirateBay FTW!

If you're going to go run around downloading virus-laden feldercarb from the internet, please be responsible enough to sudo apt-get install klamav yourself.
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

"celena.xml file in /usr/share/gdm/themes/celena directory does not exist."
That I have had only in Daryna KDE. But I fixed it as root (the way to root is in my next paragraph).
It exists, but you have to open an archive, if I remember right. Just play around a little bit. That was my way too.
So, from here on out, I now have the msg. that appears just before I log in. I dont know what has spawned this on. I also noticed that when I go to the login manager and try to make any adjustments unchecking/checking a box for options, that the new settings are not holding as it defalts back to what they were before I amde the changes as if it preveting any changes.

I'm not BOO, but I have one solution. That's where the (Admin) root account is for.
First make a root account by using mint assistant, then log in as root. Make your adjustments.
Log out of the root account right after the adjustments. Restart the compu and log in as user.
Voila, the adjustments are staying.

WARNING
Only do things as root that you have to do as root = ADMINISTRATOR. Especially don't use the Internet from there. ROOT IS ALMIGHTY. So malware can do all evil from there.
/WARNING

H.
rosinskitg@juno.com

Post by rosinskitg@juno.com »

"So, from here on out, I now have the msg. that appears just before I log in. I dont know what has spawned this on. I also noticed that when I go to the login manager and try to make any adjustments unchecking/checking a box for options, that the new settings are not holding as it defalts back to what they were before I amde the changes as if it preveting any changes."

I tried logging in as root and when I make changes to the login manager program it still does not allow me to keep any changes even made with root login.

Is there somewhere I can edit a file to take that statement out for "celena.xml file in /usr/share/gdm/themes/celena directory does not exist."?

More suggestions would be gladly accepted.

-Terry-
hamburn

Post by hamburn »

Have you tried to use the Sysadmin mode in the login manager program aka KDE controlcenter / login manager?
It's down on the bottom of the window.

For this annoying message I have no solution for Elyssa. But it is right, there is no "celena.xml file", because there is no / usr/share/gdm/.
In Daryna was one. Sorry can't help.

H.
verden

Post by verden »

Earlier in a post someone asked if you could install this RC and update/upgrade to the final release. I would like to know the answer to this question as well. TIA.
tawan

Post by tawan »

verden wrote:Earlier in a post someone asked if you could install this RC and update/upgrade to the final release. I would like to know the answer to this question as well. TIA.
I don't know the official answer, but the usual answer is (something like);

~"you can... but shouldn't. a clean install is always advised but you can go manual if you like. come mint 6 (we hope) then updating between versions should be streamlined. until then, for bug tracing and for your best experience - go fresh mint.."~
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

infamous wrote:One of the level 3 updates causes X to fail to start and gives me a fatal error message. I can't tell exactly what the message says cause it goes off my screen so fast. I'm sorry cant tell you which update causes it either. Everything else is nice, well except I get some artifacts on my screen when ever I drag an icon around on my screen. Sorry I can't be more helpful in identifying these problems. I'll see about fixing them when I'm not so tired and have some free time. Well done very nice.
Only levels 1 & 2 are seen as safe updates.
Level 3 updates should only be installed when It fixes a bug you have.
Some Level 3 updates might needs a level 4 or 5 to fix the bug.\ or finish the update.
janjacobs

Post by janjacobs »

hello Clem,
i just installed Mint KDE, and i noticed my firefox and some other programs look odd, almost as if their not using KDE...
they dont look like KDE programs, more like old gnome programs.

and aside from wireless (which works much quicker in the normal mint edition) everything works ok so far
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

janjacobs wrote:hello Clem,
i just installed Mint KDE, and i noticed my firefox and some other programs look odd, almost as if their not using KDE...
they dont look like KDE programs, more like old gnome programs.

and aside from wireless (which works much quicker in the normal mint edition) everything works ok so far
Go to System settings and under Appearance should be a GTK setting.
Change GTK to use KDE style and that should make it look the same.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”