'betsy-partner' channel problem downloading flash

Archived topics about LMDE 2
markwilson
Level 1
Level 1

'betsy-partner' channel problem downloading flash

Post by markwilson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:37 am

Hi, I've been trying to download Flash from Adobe's site because LMDE2's version is out of date according to many sites I've visited but get this dialog box saying:

"Unknown channel 'betsy-partner'

The channel 'betsy-partner' is not known"

Does anyone know of anywhere else the latest Flash can be downloaded from?

Mark Wilson

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: 'betsy-partner' channel problem downloading flash

Post by exploder » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:47 am

The Linux version of flash is out of date and Adobe no longer supports Linux. If you want a new version of flash you need to install Google Chrome, it comes with pepper flash and it's current.

snowdust
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snowdust » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:40 pm

May I suggest an alternative option: you can install Opera and the pepper-flash-plugin-non-free.
Get the latest version of Opera here: http://www.opera.com/
Then launch Synaptic Package Manager, in the Quick-filter box type "pepperflashplugin" in one word and without the quotes.
I have replaced Google-Chrome with Opera and mighty happy I did.
Version: 30.0.1835.88 - Opera is up to date
Update stream: Stable
System: Linux Mint LMDE (x86_64; MATE)

markwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwilson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:03 pm

snowdust wrote:May I suggest an alternative option: you can install Opera and the pepper-flash-plugin-non-free.
Get the latest version of Opera here: http://www.opera.com/
Then launch Synaptic Package Manager, in the Quick-filter box type "pepperflashplugin" in one word and without the quotes.
I have replaced Google-Chrome with Opera and mighty happy I did.
Version: 30.0.1835.88 - Opera is up to date
Update stream: Stable
System: Linux Mint LMDE (x86_64; MATE)
Is it possible to import Firefox/Iceweasel bookmarks into Opera? I've an extensive collection but haven't been able to import them properly into Chromium.

Mark WIlson

snowdust
Level 1
Level 1

Post by snowdust » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Good morning/day/evening markwilson!
I have successfully imported Chrome bookmarks into Opera and Opera makes it newbie-proof :D
It is that simple: in the upper left corner of the screen click the Opera menu button. Then select Bookmarks/Import bookmarks.
Hope this helps.

Lanser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lanser » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Mark. I had the same issue over the weekend in LMDE2, but strangely not in LM17.2.
The Band-aid fix is to download the "other distro" pack from the adobe site and do a manual replace of the libflashlayer.so file into the relevant directories.
Make sure you only replace the instances, not any of the links. Also rename the existing "so" files and document what you do, just in case you need to reverse the change.
Don't bother about replacing the settings configuration files. It doesn't seem to matter.

This fixes the current error message and allows videos to play, but I would have preferred to use the correct channel instead.

Lanser
Thinkpads:- LM19.x Mate, LMDE3, Debian 10

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Just what I did that worked for me... And this may not be the best option since i have been out of the Mint loop for a while since I have been in pure Debian-land for a few years... Currently, I am experimenting with LMDE2 with MATE. So, I did this:

Open Synaptic Package Manager. Then click on SEARCH. Key in 'flashplugin-nonfree" and choose the option to install. Once you do this, you no longer get the message. However, I was getting this same message in Debian 8 (Jessie), so I was having to update (reinstall) my flash player every few days.

Note: This may or may not be the best option for the future, so if anyone who is more current with the LMDE info would chime in, I would appreciate it. I absolutely do not mind being corrected. :-)
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

markwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by markwilson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:14 am

rivenathos wrote:Just what I did that worked for me... And this may not be the best option since i have been out of the Mint loop for a while since I have been in pure Debian-land for a few years... Currently, I am experimenting with LMDE2 with MATE. So, I did this:

Open Synaptic Package Manager. Then click on SEARCH. Key in 'flashplugin-nonfree" and choose the option to install. Once you do this, you no longer get the message. However, I was getting this same message in Debian 8 (Jessie), so I was having to update (reinstall) my flash player every few days.

Note: This may or may not be the best option for the future, so if anyone who is more current with the LMDE info would chime in, I would appreciate it. I absolutely do not mind being corrected. :-)
Ah, I had done that but it didn't seem to work. What I realised this morning was that I had forgot to also remove Mint's own flash plugin. Everything seems to be working okay now! Thanks anyway.

Mark Wilson

Return to “LMDE 2 "Betsy" Archive”