How to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.2

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

How to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.2

Post by clem »

jacpra

Re: How to upgrade to Linux Mint 17.2

Post by jacpra »

I worked beautifully,
Running Linux Mint updated 17.2 Rapaela Cinnamon version

Thank you all from

jackson/Austria
Oldimbiber

Post by Oldimbiber »

The upgrade went smoothly. But, how come it didn't include an update to Firefox? That is still stuck on version 38.0 while Distrowatch has listed several upgrades to Firefox and is now up to version 39.0
Hache_Erre

Post by Hache_Erre »

Hello!
I have upgraded from 17.1 to 17.2 in Cinnamon and Mate this morning.

Everything went smooth and very quick but I found two bugs. One in Cinnamon that was already present in 17.1 related to background thumbnails and the other in Mate in which some system setting are duplicated (English and spanish).

How can i report them and eventually fix them?
Thank you very much!
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Upgrading already done (in Cinnamon) !!!! Now waiting the upgrade in KDE !! Thank You So Much !!
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

I upgraded this morning. Very smooth process. No issues at all, so far. Nice job. :D
evenadam

Post by evenadam »

I used to run Ubuntu 14.04 on this machine and tried to upgrade to 14.10. Ubuntu wouldn't boot after that, so I was nervous about doing this upgrade (my first upgrade since switching to Mint), but decided to go ahead anyway. Everything was smooth and no issues to report. I'm liking the new Cinnamon.

Many thanks to the Mint team. :D
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Completed upgrades on both desktop and laptop. Could not have been easier.

Great job!
Mint-21.0 Mate 64 bit / LMDE-5 64 bit
Gigabyte H370M D3H
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 32GB DDR4 2400
8TB HDD Seagate Baracuda 5400rpm
_John

Post by _John »

Is there a manual way to update? I have refreshed but no way in to select in mint update?

Is it possible to update the sources?
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

@_John :
It should have appeared in your Update Manager under the "Edit" menu.
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.
_John

Post by _John »

momist wrote:@_John :
I know but it hasn't.

Have reset sources etc but no luck (I had upgraded to Cinnamon 2.6 pre 17.2 though...)
Earl_Hickey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Earl_Hickey »

A couple of hours backing everything up, for a quick, easy update! Always better to be safe than sorry, but it seemed just too easy!

Thanks!
r00t

Post by r00t »

_John wrote:
I know but it hasn't.

Have reset sources etc but no luck (I had upgraded to Cinnamon 2.6 pre 17.2 though...)
John, please do not ask for support in announcements. If you're still having trouble, open another topic in the appropriate forum (Most likely this one)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Oldimbiber wrote:The upgrade went smoothly. But, how come it didn't include an update to Firefox? That is still stuck on version 38.0 while Distrowatch has listed several upgrades to Firefox and is now up to version 39.0
Weird. Well, it is based on Ubuntu 14.04 (as all 17.x Mint releases are and will be), which is a LTS. Speculation on my part: Maybe Firefox 39 is still in Ubuntu's "testing" repository and, therefore, have only been "released" to 14.10 and 15.04 (Ubuntu still has "non-LTS" versions; Mint just no longer uses them) or maybe even not to them.

You could try the following:

Wait. A new version of Firefox will be along shortly in your Update Manager. Unfortunately, neither you nor I are in control of defining "shortly," lol. But I expect it to be soon. (Now, as to what, exactly, "soon" means... :lol: )

Enable either backports or unstable in your Update Manager's "sources" section. The downsides are that it's probably a good way to pooch your system since - by definition - the latter, at least, will have untested updates. Also, the only thing I saw just a moment ago when I tried it and refreshed my list of updates was Mint Backup and three other things (having to do with Mint themes, IIRC), so it would be pointless in regards to your post.

Add the “Ubuntu Mozilla Security Team” team (no, that's not a misprint - just awkward and inelegant) PPA.

Code: Select all

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ubuntu/ppa
I just realized this is an announcement thread, so I'll just finish by suggesting that you only use the above PPA and NOT one of the PPAs for the beta (a later version of FF 39), the aurora (FF 40), or the daily build (FF 42) unless you know what you are doing.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

_John wrote:
I know but it hasn't.

I'll try to keep this brief - I'd have posted in your support thread as suggested by staff, but I couldn't find one - and am really only posting here in case the situation affects a number of users instead of just one:

Wasn't there... I don't recall whether it was Cinnamon or MATE, but wasn't there a situation where some users updated via PPA(?) before the official Mint update, and it led to issues for some?

Anyway, if this was me, I would consider using something like ppa purge to purge all the non-Mint updates that are relevant here (presumably just Cinnamon, but IDK?), then try my luck with Update Manager again to see if this made a difference. If it did, great. If not... I suppose I could add the PPA that (hypothetical) I used to update Cinnamon previously and be back to where I was before purging it.

Moderators: If _John (or someone else) starts a thread about this in the "Upgrading" area (or whatever the next-most appropriate one is, if we don't have one of those) and you move his/their post(s) to it, feel free to move this one as well. (Thanks!)

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
kalomint

Post by kalomint »

Hi all,

I am having a problem upgrading from 17.1 MATE to 17.2. I posted in the blog announcement but no reply so I am posting my issue here hoping that someone can help me.

As I am updating to Mate Rafaela, the Update Manager makes me install mint-meta-mate. When I try to install it I get that "some packages are broken" and cannot continue installation until packages are fixed... I go to the Package Manager and Fix Packages fine. Then, try I try to install mint-meta-mate again, but I still get the same error about fixing packages. It seems like it is an error loop that cannot be resolved. Could you please help me resolve this and upgrade?
kalomint

Post by kalomint »

OK, several days and no reply at the blog entry neither here... Is this something unique to my system? Or noone has a clue how to approach this?
kalomint

Post by kalomint »

I figured it out myself...

I tried to install mint-meta-mate via Terminal and then I saw the real dependency. It was some library, which to be installed required to uninstall Chrome. I uninstalled Chrome and then I was able to install mint-meta-mate. Upgrade went fine. Quite strange, but Chrome was the issue :O

Hope this helps someone else.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”