Firefox blocks Flash

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
lexon

Firefox blocks Flash

Post by lexon »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Firefox blocks Flash

Post by exploder »

It would be nice to see flash die off. HTML5 does the same thing and without all the problems. Even Google Chrome uses it if it's available rather than pepper flash.
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Good riddance. Unfortunately, it is only disabled, not gone from my computer since there are still some sites that didn't get the memo that Flash needs to go (looking at you BBC :roll: ).

As an added bonus, when Flash dies, it takes all those stupid, annoying, flashy ads with it. :mrgreen:

RIP Flash.

mrdachshund86
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

I always like users who knew about their soft behavors not from own computer but at least from CNN. Ever tryed to run FF before reading CNN?
I found FF behavor much more virus like than all Flash vulnerabilities. What the hell Mozilla doing in MY computer allowing or disalowing some funcionality remotely?
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

BigEasy wrote:What the hell Mozilla doing in MY computer allowing or disalowing some funcionality remotely?
That's the real issue, In my book.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

BigEasy wrote:[I found FF behavor much more virus like than all Flash vulnerabilities.
Securing against a critical security hole is a virus like behavior? Strange. And how is the name for the behavior of Adobe, who already provided fixes for other platforms (and most likely also for Chrome under Linux), but not for the NPAPI-plugin (needed for firefox in Linux)? How would user call firefox, if they would get affected by the issue, because ff did not disable the known as vulnerable plugin? Accomplice?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Oh my god, what a disgrace! Mozilla blocks a known vulnerable Flash plugin. You have to consent in order to launch it nonetheless. How dare they!
Honestly, those that complain about the warning which Firefox displays cannot be serious really.
Not warning the user against launching a known vulnerable Flash plugin version would be pretty irresponsible.
And in the end you are free to consent and shoot your own foot. So kindly stop whining.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The issues is that all current Adobe Flash versions, regardless of web browser and operating system, have critical security vulnerabilities as exposed by the documents taken from the spyware development company "Hacking Team". These security vulnerabilities are currently being actively exploited by malware creators. Hence the severe step by Firefox to block all Adobe Flash content.

I've made a public announcement about it and what you can do for other browsers: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 3&t=200210
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

I vote that gets closed and stickied.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's a global announcement; displayed at the top of each forum in the announcements block. I considered locking it, but it might be good to have a place for users that find out about it this way to immediately ask additional questions.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Global is good.
Thanks.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

The Windows patch and the Chrome/Chromium patch are available, in fact, have been since yesterday.
No patch so far for the NPAPI based plugin, however, used by the Mozilla products by default.
Cf. Adobe Flash Player
And remember: the time after a new Flash player release is always just the time before the next 0-day-exploit. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Drygar

Post by Drygar »

karlchen wrote:And remember: the time after a new Flash player release is always just the time before the next 0-day-exploit. :wink:
+1

If Adobe decides to do something good to the Internet community and if they want to prove they care about their customers/users, they should immediately stop developing it, remove it from any servers and co-work with Microsoft, Mozilla, Google (Chromium authors) to define strict deadline when browsers stop the plugin from existing. Believe it or not, all developers will turn to HTML5 immediately.
Such a vulnerable software for some many years ... :shock:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm surprised how many websites have blocked flash content, where I didn't think they would need flash at all (news sites and such). I haven't found a website yet that didn't work without flash though. I might leave it off :wink:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

It is very easy to block Flash.
- Change "extensions.blocklist.enabled" in "about:config" - to False.
Got tired of clicking on it to activate.

- now it won't work at all.
and don't miss it - at all.

Yeah - that also stops FF from AutoBlocking any out-of-date plug-ins.
so - you have to manually check them. ..

- Tools - Add-ons -- click the link at the top "Check to see if your plug-ins are up to date".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Drygar wrote:
If Adobe decides to do something good to the Internet community and if they want to prove they care about their customers/users, they should immediately stop developing it, remove it from any servers and co-work with Microsoft, Mozilla, Google (Chromium authors) to define strict deadline when browsers stop the plugin from existing. Believe it or not, all developers will turn to HTML5 immediately.
Such a vulnerable software for some many years ... :shock:

They have already patched it, but I don't think a few band aids are going to stop it from it's bad press, and the momentum for a move to HTML5. That said, If Adobe keeps it going doesn't mean we have to use it. Mine is now disabled on all PC's and will remain that way.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I read this morning that System 76 has joined Mozilla in banning Adobe Flash from it's products. If more high profile organizations follow suit more sites would move to HTML5.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/system76 ... 6924.shtml
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I've just removed Flash plugin from my system. I only have it installed now as part of Google Chrome (where it is disabled) and in Steam. Firefox, Epiphany, and Chromium are all Flash free. I've been testing the websites I need all afternoon and so far so good :)

However, now I stumble and need some thoughts. I have one banking website I need to use, and that requires Flash. Are there any alternatives besides the Flash plugin people have found to work well enough? It's been a while since I looked at Shumway (IIRC, that was a Flash alternative implementation for Firefox?). Else I'll just enable Flash in Google Chrome for those occasions that I need to access this website.

Any thoughts on Steam and Flash?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Google Chrome with pepper flash is your best bet as far as the banking site goes. There is no question that the patches will arrive quickly in Chrome.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

as well as the pepper flash plugin - some are trying the fresh player plugin
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Open Chat”