Linux Mint 17.1 or 17.2?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
drohr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 17.1 or 17.2?

Post by drohr »

Is it worth it to update LM 17.1 to LM 17.2?
Is it easy to upgrade? Any improvements on graphics? Any help would be appreciated.

Don

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 or 17.2?

Post by xenopeek »

Yes it is easy to upgrade: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2871. Is it worth it depends on you. You get newer version of Mint tools and your desktop environment.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Regarding Cinnamon I recommend at now to stay with LM 17.1, although 17.2 (Cinnamon 2.6) has some nice improvements. There are at least 3 not solved issues in Cinnamon 2.6.13:

If samba shares get unmounted, nemo crashes. Details with description of reproducible steps.

If nemo gets closed via nemo -q or if it crashes, the desktop icons get deactivated; nevertheless the desktop-options say, they are enabled. Details.

The panel-launcher applet is near to unusable. Adding other launchers does sometimes work, mostly not; until now I was not able to determine, when its does and when not; restarting Cinnamon or rebooting does not help. The ability to have multiple instances of the panel launcher is useless, if they can all only show the same predefined launchers. Details.

For me everyone of this 3 bugs count stronger than the new features.

At least the first 2 bugs have been reported to the developers, I am not sure about the third one.
I think, that the developers are at now fully concentrated on the release of the KDE and XFCE editions of 17.2, so I fear, that we have to wait some time, until this gets corrected.

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

@ Cosmo,

Are panel launcher problems encountered only after upgrading?
Ask since having no panel launcher issues since doing a clean 17.2 Cinnamon install, or with any of my virtual 17.2 clean install PC's. Currently have 13 extra launchers on my panel, and all function as expected.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

It is a new install in a new virtual machine. Further more hardly done any changes on the machine, especially no other theme.

@David Black: How did you add the new launchers: Via right click on a menu item or via add-command in the right click menu of the applet? The first method seems to be for me slightly - but not fully - less problematic.

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

All (except 1) have been added using menu items, right click menu. Other is a custom launcher, created using right click Menu configure / open the menu editor.

Above was performed on both host and guest (virtual machines) installs. Using VMware Player for virtual machines.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Now that you asked for it I reactivated an old restore point of a virtual machine, which I made immediately after installing 17.2 RC (Cinnamon 2.6.8 ). At this point there was nothing done except the updates level 1 to 3, that where available at the date of installation (June 20th). At that time I did not take a look at the panel launcher, as there were a number of other bugs to hunt for (all done after that restore point).

Out of this discussion here I now restored this restore point and I see, that the problem does exist there already. I did encounter this problem never with LM 17 or LM 17.1 on my host or in one of my virtual machines, all running with the at the given date latest version of VirtualBox 4.3 branch (4.3.30 at now).

If I try to add a launcher with the add-command in the context menu of the applet the following happens:
I enter as name: test, as command: gedit. After clicking on OK I get asked, if I want to add it to the menu also. In case I answer YES I can see the entry for test in the menu and it is also usable (so far things obviously do what is expected), but there is nothing in the applet. If I open the folder ~/.cinnamon/configs/panel-launchers#cinnamon.org [footnote 1] I find a file (sometimes 2.json, sometimes 3.json, but never more than one file). If I open this file in gedit I see the entries for the launchers and a md5-sum.

Once I have unsuccessfully tried to add a launcher with the add-command in the context-menu of the panel, I also cannot add a launcher via right click menu of a menu item. If I open the right click menu for a menu item and click on "add to panel" nothing happens, not even gets the right click menu closed; it stays there and that's it. Other commands (add to desktop and add to favorites) do work as expected.

I investigated now a little bit further. If I do a reset for the panel-launcher applet (inside the properties of this applet) I get again able to add a launcher via right click menu of a menu item. But as soon as I try to add a launcher with the add-command in the right click menu of the applet nothing goes more. So far it seems clear, that the problem is inside the applet.

With this new finding from today I compared the file 2.json before and after the reset-command. After the reset the file looks as this:

Code: Select all

{
    "launcherList": {
        "type": "generic",
        "default": [
            "firefox.desktop",
            "gnome-terminal.desktop",
            "nemo.desktop"
        ],
        "value": [
            "firefox.desktop",
            "nemo.desktop"
        ]
    },
    "allow-dragging": {
        "type": "checkbox",
        "default": true,
        "description": "Allow dragging of launchers",
        "value": true
    },
    "__md5__": "92eec52d8b53c791b5b00caae84f8848"
}
After the unsuccessful try to add a launcher wit the add-command the content changes to this:

Code: Select all

{
    "launcherList": {
        "type": "generic",
        "default": [
            "firefox.desktop",
            "nemo.desktop"
        ],
        "value": [
            "firefox.desktop",
            "nemo.desktop",
            "cinnamon-custom-launcher-4.desktop"
        ]
    },
    "allow-dragging": {
        "type": "checkbox",
        "default": true,
        "description": "Allow dragging of launchers",
        "value": true
    },
    "__md5__": "92eec52d8b53c791b5b00caae84f8848"
}
If you compare both with meld (or a similar tool) you find, that there is one difference:
In the section value there is now a comma at the end of the line "nemo.desktop" and the new line "cinnamon-custom-launcher-4.desktop". But such a file is nowhere to find: I would expect it in ~/.local/share/applications, but neither here nor on any other place in my home is this file.

Before anybody asks: There is no permission problem, see what I wrote above about the restore point.

Next step of testing: I stored a desktop-file into ~/.local/share/applications and renamed it to cinnamon-custom-launcher-4.desktop. After a restart of Cinnamon this launcher appeared in the panel-launcher applet and it was usable. Also I got with this method able again to add a launcher via a menu entry.

My conclusion at now: The bug is the missing creation of the needed desktop-file. As long as you only create launchers via menu (in this case the desktop-files do obviously exist already) things work fine, as soon as you use the add-command of the panel the bug gets effective.

@David Black:
After this new findings and reading, that you had created all but one launchers via menu (maybe the only other one was the last one you created) I wonder, if you are still able to add additional launchers.

[1] Note that I have exchanged in the filename the correct sign @ with # to prevent, that this name gets misinterpreted by the forum software as a mailto-link.

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

@Cosmo

Don't remember asking for it? :D

Just tried your test with a virtual machine.

1) Right click panel, select Add
2) launcher name: test, command: gedit.
3) Also add to menu, select Yes

Same as you, launcher appears in the menu but not on the panel. At this point I tried something different, (without doing anything else) I logged out, then back in, the newly created launcher appears on the panel and works perfectly.

Looks like this should be raised as a bug with Clem?

In answer to your question, yes, still able to create other launchers after making the custom launcher.

drohr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drohr »

thx for that. but i am curious as to the graphic performance increase and whether it not i can play the games i want. I really like LM and want to get away from Windows and YES i know that IF i wanted to play games to go to Windows, but that's my point. IF LM is superior to Windows, why cant it handle the games? So i hear that graphics are improved. Let's see...

I updated to 17.2 through the link above and it went fine.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Cosmo. wrote: If nemo gets closed via nemo -q or if it crashes, the desktop icons get deactivated; nevertheless the desktop-options say, they are enabled. Details.
That's not a bug. If Nemo is set to handle the desktop, icons cannot appear if Nemo is not started.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

killer de bug wrote:
Cosmo. wrote: If nemo gets closed via nemo -q or if it crashes, the desktop icons get deactivated; nevertheless the desktop-options say, they are enabled. Details.
That's not a bug. If Nemo is set to handle the desktop, icons cannot appear if Nemo is not started.
If you mean: icons do not appear, because nemo has been stopped, than I am with you. But this conception is questionable and may be called a bug.
If the settings do anyway tell, that the icons are enabled, than they give definitely a wrong information. That is a bug. It is surprising for the user in a double sense: at first, as he does not expect that the icons disappear when nemo gets quited or crashes and at second as he does not expect, that he has to switch the setting twice (off, than on again) to get the icons back.
I know, that the disabled desktop context menu also is related with the state of nemo, but also this is something, what the user does not expect. In fact, the user would not even expect, that the desktop context menu is unavailable, if he willingly disables the desktop icons. Call it a bug or a misconception, the transition between is anyway flowing.

And as we are about it: One more bug regarding nemo directly:
If you install a nemo-plugin (say nemo-terminal, but it does not matter) and open the new module dialog, it shows the plugin as activated, but that is not true.
You must deactivate the plugin, restart nemo, open the module dialog again, reactivate the module, restart nemo once more and than you can use it. (Or - less circumstantial - stop nemo with nemo -q and open it again. Or - although Cinnamon is not affected by the problem - restart Cinnamon and Nemo with ctrl-alt-esc. Or - what less experienced user will most likely do - log newly in or reboot.) In any way, showing a not activated plugin as activated is a bug. A user seeing, that the plugin is reported as activated and finds, that is does not work, would believe, that the plugin is buggy or not compatible, but this obvious conclusion would be wrong. BTW: also already reported to the devs.

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

Plasma 5 will probably be the next big waggle for me :D . the maturity of a linux (mint) 17.1 is stunning. i can't ever remember any other operating system (windows or OSX) without some similar minor issues here or there. Cortana/windows10 on the horizon, i'll probably just have a chat or 2 with that girl, just 2 see what is up, if Cortana has some suicidal/sexy banter packs, i'll probably be a sucker for her. i have not used mint in a decade or more. glad i gave it a second go. still a learning curve, but far fewer breaks/bugs from my memory.

andyf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyf »

the desktop icons get deactivated; nevertheless the desktop-options say, they are enabled
I am getting this exact problem at seemingly random times on my recent fresh install of 17.2 but only since I discovered (and tried) the option to turn off desktop icons in System_Settings>Desktop

In the two weeks or so prior to that the problem didn't occur at all. Since then, it has become an almost daily event.

My normal workaround is to go to Menu>SystemSettings>Desktop and turn off, then turn on desktop icons - but sometimes I also lose the taskbar (and menu button, of course). I'll try ctrl-alt-esc next time that happens - got to be better than ctrl-alt-del!

System is mint 17.2 with all updates, Intel i7, 64 bit, Cinnamon, nvidia/intel graphics (very rarely use nvidia), lenovo W540.

It was great before I discovered you could switch off desktop icons - now the icons turn themselves off at random!!!

andyf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyf »

Yes, ctrl-alt-esc is the quickest and cleanest fix for when this occurs on 17.2

I'm still baffled that it only started happening since I tried out the option to turn off desktop icons in Menu>System_Settings>Desktop. It all worked perfectly before I did that.

My advice to any regular user is to stay away from that option!!!!!!!

My advice to devs is to try it and see what happens next - it may take a day or so to see the problem in normal occasional use.

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi andyf,

Have you tried renaming your /Home/.config folder (something like .config-bk), then logout, or restart?
If unable to see the folder, either press Ctrl + H, or use the View menu and select Show Hidden Files.

You will need to set-up all your preferences again, but may help fix the problem. If successful, once you are happy everything is set up as before, you can delete the .config-bk folder.

David

andyf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyf »

David said:
Have you tried renaming your /Home/.config folder
That is definitely worth a try, though I must admit I don't relish the prospect of having to re-create my preferences from scratch.

Since nemo crashes seem to be implicated, how about I just do the same trick with the folder /home/username/.config/nemo ?

Andy
Last edited by andyf on Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

That's something you can certainly try, a process of elimination. :)

andyf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyf »

OK, so I've renamed my /home/username/.config/nemo folder, logged out/in, and now have a virgin nemo config folder.

Time will tell if that has made any difference. I'll report back in a few days - or earlier if the icons do their disappearing act again!

Andy.

andyf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andyf »

Looks good!

I haven't lost my desktop icons in over a week since I renamed my /home/username/.config/nemo folder and logged out/in.

Now I know what to do if it goes wrong, I think I'll revisit that option to turn off desktop icons in Menu>System_Settings>Desktop and see if the problem comes back.But that will have to wait until the weekend.

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Sounds like progress! Thanks for the update.

Before you try again, possibly consider deleting the problematic .configbk, and backing up your current working .config folder. Then try the desktop icon setting. If all goes wrong, at least you won't have to start over entering all your preferred settings.

Return to “Newbie Questions”