Will you upgrade to Win 10 upon release?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Will you upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP?

YES!
16%
I'll wait a bit.
6%
No.
53%
What's Windows?
24%

Total votes: 49

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Will you upgrade to Win 10 upon release?

Post by Fred Barclay »

Well, the title says it all. For those of you who run Windows 7 or 8.1, will you be upgrading (if it is an "upgrade" :lol: ) to Windows 10 on or close to July 29th?

I'm not running Windows at all, but my advice to those who are has been to wait.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Will you upgrade to Win 10 upon release?

Post by z31fanatic »

Yes, will definitely upgrade as soon as it is available. I see no reason why I shouldn't.
I ran the W10 preview and liked it.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic wrote:Yes, will definitely upgrade as soon as it is available. I see no reason why I shouldn't.
I ran the W10 preview and liked it.
That's good! Both I and a friend have had trouble with the Tech Preview recently (hence my advice to wait), but if you like it, I hope it works well for you. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I am curious, what troubles did you have?
Edward M. Grant

Post by Edward M. Grant »

We'll be 'upgrading' this laptop, as it has a Windows 8 hard drive we never even booted after I pulled it out and slapped in the SSD with Mint installed. My girlfriend wants to try Windows 10 for a few days, so she knows what to say when people ask her about it at work... after that, the SSD will go back in.

Otherwise, I can't see myself downgrading the Windows 7 games machine. As I understand it, updates are now compulsory and automatic with no operating system versioning, so, next time they decide to radically change the GUI, you'll just wake up one morning and find you have no idea how to use the computer you were using last night.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

short =NO
long = Nope
:shock:

it requires a VTx processor
:(
this PC doesn't have that ..

but- will get a ISO of it - as know several OPs still on Vista
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Setting up Win7 in a virtual box was enough torture for me. I had forgotten how much fun it was to install Windows updates, and I haven't launched Win7 since I installed it.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I use Linux, why would I downgrade to Windows?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Windows 10 Home has a compulsory feature from hell:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16 ... e_edition/

It's asking for trouble. And trouble there already is:
http://<blocked blogspam>/2015/07/26/windows- ... -computer/

Even when no such trouble would emerge: Windows 10 Home will force you to wait with shutting down your computer, because first the mandatory updates must be installed.

Which can take a very long time indeed, especially when you're in a hurry. As I only ever boot Windows for the sake of updating my TomTom navigation device, that's definitely unacceptable to me.

So my answer is: no!

Well, that is, I want to keep the dual boot how-to's on my websites up to date.... So: very reluctantly and very temporarily: yes. But after adapting my how-to's I'll immediately put back an image of Windows 8.1.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
konjad

Post by konjad »

I see no single reason to "upgrade" from linux to Windows but a lot of reasons against it.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Pjotr wrote:Windows 10 Home has a compulsory feature from hell:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/16 ... e_edition/

It's asking for trouble. And trouble there already is:
http://<blocked blogspam>/2015/07/26/windows- ... -computer/

"When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won't include that option, but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates".

the other option- System Restore - is turned OFF by default :!:
- turn it back On.

and - turn re-iterate this thread - most OPs on this forum are Linux Users :)
- so are not mainstream users of a M$ O/S :lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I am in the same boat as Pjotr, I only use my dual boot of Windows 8.1. to update a Garmin GPS, although I did play around with the Windows 10 Preview, and found it ok accept for the update situation, I will not upgrade to 10, I'll just keep 8 until there is either a work around, or my Garmin just doesn't work any more. Then it's good bye to Windows for good. :mrgreen:
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

You people are all talk. You know you will upgrade to it and you won't get rid of Windows in your dual boot.
I know you can't do it. :mrgreen:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

z31fanatic wrote:I am curious, what troubles did you have?
My installs were in a VM:
1. One build (9926) refuses to upgrade. I'm stuck with this particular build. It also gave me fits when I tried to install AVG. Mostly I have it for a curio, and just in case I have absolutely have to run a Windows program.
2. Whichever build is not the last but the next to last (I've forgotten the number) simply will not install in VBox. That is--it installs, but then gives me a "Just a moment" screen for upwards of 12 hours, by which point I've given up.

My friend's installs were on a physical machine:
1. On the same iso as my 2nd example, his machine crashes every few minutes. He can't even keep it up long enough to try to update it. He's contacted MS multiple times with no resolution. Up to this point, he was liking Win 10.
And you know, MS is no longer allowing downloads of the iso, so he's pretty much stuck ATM. He can't upgrade to the newest build from his existing installation since it'll crash; and he can't download a new iso and just do a fresh install.

Go Linux! :lol:
- Albert Einstein
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

I could not possibly forego an offer of something "free" from Microsoft. It feels like a gift from Heaven. Or perhaps the other place.

However, I don't trust 'em! I run W7 as a virtual machine so that I can keep it contained and safe...inside its own creche if you like. I'll simply take a snapshot before upgrading to W10 so I can revert to W7 at any time. :wink:

I'm running the technical preview in VBox and that seems to work ok so I am not expecting any show-stoppers when I upgrade W7 in a few days time.

I have a gaming PC that runs W7 native and I shall keep my ear to the ground for a while before upgrading it. 8)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I don't like the takeover of the desktop, even if they (the vendor) thinks mobile streaming is the future of all OS's
--and they aren't the only ones taking that position
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I haven't Windows on my computer, but I have asked my parents to wait. :wink:
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I nuked my preinstalled Windows 8.1 just to be able to install LMDE2 without having to run circles around the Windows EFI partition so obviously no. :lol:
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

Speaking for myself, my answer is......."no".

Automatic Updates are nothing more than forced updates which basically gives MSFT control over my computer if I would be "gullible" enough to upgrade to Windows 10 Home. That is something I will not stand for. I dual boot with Windows 7 and W7 is my backup operating system. I plan on keeping W7 until January of 2020.

Besides, many of the new features in W10 don't appeal to me. I don't like Cortana, Continuum, One Drive, Windows Store, Edge browser, Holo Lens, Xbox, etc. I also don't like the hybrid Start Menu. I would miss Aero and lots of other things.

Speaking for myself, Windows 10 with it's new features is "Windows 8.1 on steroids". Under the hood, Windows 10 looks mostly like Windows (8.1). So for me, Windows 10 is basically Windows (8.2). And I'm one of those who played around for 3 weeks with the Windows 10 Technical Preview.

I've got 4 computers (2 Desktop Towers, 2 Laptops). Windows 10 will never be installed on any of them.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
lexon

Post by lexon »

Definitely not. I might have been born in the dark but it was not yesterday.
Besides, Failure is not an option. It comes bundles with Windows. My girlfriend running Vista and stepson running W7 have proved that more than once.

L

Return to “Open Chat”