Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

mrdachshund86 wrote: Today's the day! :D
Beginning of a new failure? :)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

mrdachshund86 wrote:Good Morning everyone!

Today's the day! :D
Yes!
No!!!
WHAT!?! :lol:

Seriously, good luck to the entire MS dev team. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

exploder wrote:Still kind of buggy!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29 ... 2_entries/
Journalist Peter Bright tweeted about the problem, attracting the attention of Microsoft Program Manager Arunjeet Singh, who said:

The issue seems to affect people with more than 512 apps in their "All apps" list.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Sorry guys but I can't hold it anymore. Since I've never post a screenshot of my desktop I think is time for me to share this with the community.
Screenshot1.jpeg
Screenshot2.jpeg
Screenshot3.jpeg
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

The personal information were removed from the images thanks to Krita: https://krita.org/

P.S.: I hope I didn't miss anything :wink:
Screenshot4.jpeg
lyesqiz

Post by lyesqiz »

I used it to erase all deleted files on my iPhone, it did a good job. The interface is a little different from the Windows version. well, from my understanding, the decision has nothing to do with Linux as it's not Microsoft competitor. However, this will definitely help microsoft to expand marketshare and earn more from somewhere else.
Last edited by lyesqiz on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
catfish12

Post by catfish12 »

Well the upgrade took 2hours nvidia graphics drive failed so screen was small due to windows update check google nivida windows 10 train crash had to use windows 7 driver all in all iam sticking with Linux mint 17.2 upgrade time 20 minutes :D :wink:
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

ROFL, it looks like free actually come with a price tag inside: http://gizmodo.com/if-you-want-microsof ... 1720951270
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Ads in your applications. What a great idea! We should implement this on Linux also, so Windows users will feel more at home.

/sarcasm

(Not that I needed another reason to prefer Linux, but there you have it .)
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Ark987 wrote:ROFL, it looks like free actually come with a price tag inside: http://gizmodo.com/if-you-want-microsof ... 1720951270
Adware and spyware built in to the operating system. "It's part of the Windows-as-a-service, and companies have to make money somehow". Forced updates. "Well, who cares about that anyway?" Solitaire with ads. "OMG ADS IN SOLITAIRE THIS!! MEANS!!! WAR!!!!!!!!!!" :twisted: :twisted:

Well, it looks like Linux has yet another advantage. We have free Solitaire! :D :P

Just tell all your friends about our how everything in Linux is ad-free (especially our beloved card games), and MS will be dead by Christmas! :lol:
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

mrdachshund86 wrote: Solitaire with ads.
Brilliant idea really. Microsoft is making your grandmother spend their money instead of sitting unused in their bank accounts. :mrgreen:
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

how about taking it a bit further: 'do you want to rename this file? this costs 30 cents, and if you wish you can purchase the ability to rename any file one year long for only 14.99$'
or 'you can place the trash can icon on the desktop but you will see ads floating around the icon, unless you buy our state-of-the-art ad-free trash icon for only 4.99$'
maybe i should post it in the 'Suggestions&New Ideas' forum ;-)
Last edited by pacho37 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Windows 10 is a privacy disaster, with by default everything from your contacts list, your calendar, whatever you type, your location, your browsing data, and more being shared with Microsoft. It will by default connect to open WiFi hotspots (not secure) and to WiFi networks shared by your contacts; so it might even be sharing your network details.

See this article: https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07/30 ... -defaults/

Have fun with the "free" upgrade :)
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

mrdachshund86 wrote:
Ark987 wrote:ROFL, it looks like free actually come with a price tag inside: http://gizmodo.com/if-you-want-microsof ... 1720951270
Adware and spyware built in to the operating system. "It's part of the Windows-as-a-service, and companies have to make money somehow". Forced updates. "Well, who cares about that anyway?" Solitaire with ads. "OMG ADS IN SOLITAIRE THIS!! MEANS!!! WAR!!!!!!!!!!" :twisted: :twisted:

Well, it looks like Linux has yet another advantage. We have free Solitaire! :D :P

Just tell all your friends about our how everything in Linux is ad-free (especially our beloved card games), and MS will be dead by Christmas! :lol:
Does Android count as Linux? If so you don't have free solitaire. :lol:
mount mint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mount mint »

**WARNING**

DO NOT INSTALL WINDOWS 10

Microsoft’s new Windows 10 operating system is immensely popular, with 14 million downloads in just two days. The price of the free upgrade may just be your privacy, though, as changing Windows 10’s intrusive default settings is difficult.

Technology journalists and bloggers are singing Windows 10’s praises, often using the words such as “amazing,”“glorious” and “fantastic.” The operating system has been described as faster, smoother and more user-friendly than any previous version of Windows. According to Wired magazine, more than 14 million people have downloaded their upgrade since the system was released on Wednesday.

While the upgrade is currently free of charge to owners of licensed copies of Windows 8 and Windows 7, it does come at a price. Several tech bloggers have warned that the privacy settings in the operating system are invasive by default, and that changing them involves over a dozen different screens and an external website.

READ MORE:

Windows 10 spies on you by default : http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-window ... cy-issues/
911 WAS AN INSIDE JOB
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

xenopeek wrote:Windows 10 is a privacy disaster, with by default everything from your contacts list, your calendar, whatever you type, your location, your browsing data, and more being shared with Microsoft. It will by default connect to open WiFi hotspots (not secure) and to WiFi networks shared by your contacts; so it might even be sharing your network details.

See this article: https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07/30 ... -defaults/
mount mint wrote:... While the upgrade is currently free of charge to owners of licensed copies of Windows 8 and Windows 7, it does come at a price. Several tech bloggers have warned that the privacy settings in the operating system are invasive by default, and that changing them involves over a dozen different screens and an external website.

READ MORE:

Windows 10 spies on you by default : http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-window ... cy-issues/
I've been seeing a lot of these types of "FUD" articles about W10, but these two are the straws that broke this camel's back. I have this laptop that has W7 and qualifies for W10, and was thinking about giving W10 a spin for free. Now I think I'm just gonna slap Mint onto it and call it a day. :)
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Microsoft appears to follow in the footsteps of both Apple and Google these days. It's creating its own hardware (e.g., Surface tablets) and paying for product placement in movies and TV series to try and create a brand identity not associated with unappealing dime a dozen hardware. It's trying to find new revenue streams from ads and from subscriptions for things like cloud services, in addition to the earlier introduced Windows Store that creates revenue from other people's work (applications developers writing software for Windows).

I don't see how any of this is long-term viable. Unlike Apple and Google, Microsoft still charges developers a lot of money to use its development tools. All these stores extort developers a 30% cut from every sale, but at least with Apple and Google you get a free development platform in return. Something has to give. Expect more ads and less privacy going forward.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

xenopeek wrote:but at least with Apple and Google you get a free development platform in return.
Free development platform yet only a few can actually make a living making apps for iOS and Android. How many apps are paid apps and actually successful? Very few.
Oh and try and complain about Apple to the press and see what happens. It's in your contract that complaining about Apple does not sit well and is not in your best interest.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I just read that Windows 10 by default searches the web with Bing for anything you type in your menu. Ouch! So even worse than the Amazon search lens on Ubuntu Unity (which was easily disabled from privacy controls and will be removed as a default from next version); as Windows and Bing are in the hands of Microsoft so they know who you are and undoubtedly use your search keywords to better target you with ads. What a mess but perhaps Windows users will just eat it up as a "feature" and not like Ubuntu Unity users did protest vehemently. (Here's a howto on disabling this in Windows 10: http://www.howtogeek.com/224159/how-to- ... tart-menu/. It's a bit hidden away and for some reason not located in privacy settings.)

Return to “Open Chat”