Will you upgrade to Win 10 upon release?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Will you upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP?

YES!
16%
I'll wait a bit.
6%
No.
53%
What's Windows?
24%

Total votes: 49

helloimustbegoing

Re: Will you upgrade to Win 10 upon release?

Post by helloimustbegoing »

I dual-boot with Windows 7. A snowball has a better chance in hell than me "upgrading" to Windows 10. Windows 10 is the reason I tried out Linux Mint a second time. It's funny because I read earlier today about an update to Windows 10 that caused a lot of crashing in Explorer (here). And don't forget, if you have the Home version, you can't defer updates (unless they're gonna change that), so be prepared for the possibility of an update to 10 bricking your computer! I will either continue to dual-boot with Windows 7 disconnected from the Internet after January 2020, or put it in VirtualBox.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

helloimustbegoing wrote: And don't forget, if you have the Home version, you can't defer updates (unless they're gonna change that), so be prepared for the possibility of an update to 10 bricking your computer!
Well this is obviously not true:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9#p1045685
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

killer de bug wrote:
helloimustbegoing wrote: And don't forget, if you have the Home version, you can't defer updates (unless they're gonna change that), so be prepared for the possibility of an update to 10 bricking your computer!
Well this is obviously not true:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9#p1045685
Isn't that just for specific known updates that you select as "unwanted"? How about unknown future updates? I'm not sure that'll be a practical tool for thoroughly solving this issue....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Obviously it will list the updates and allow you to install or refuse them:
KB3073930 has a simple interface that asks you first if you want to navigate to a list of updates that you can hide, or to a list of previously hidden updates. You can then toggle updates with check boxes on the next page of the UI.
http://www.techworm.net/2015/07/microso ... dates.html
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

So I decided to actually find out what W10 can do. I find this a good demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctxZcZFCDmQ
I have to say I am very interested in trying it out.
I think MS may have some pretty good things here.
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

The thing is: it's still Windows. now wiht a slightly modified UI, controversial update policy, and all its known (and a few unknown) quirks and problems.
If one has a working win7/win8.1 system, I can't see any specific reason to upgrade - it's better to wait a few months to let MS and driver vendors get their work done.
And those of us who already are Windows-free and have a working linux (Mint or otherwise) system, can't really be bothered ;-)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

If you are Windows free then why do you bother with the thread?
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

z31fanatic wrote:If you are Windows free then why do you bother with the thread?
Mainly because I find the topic of operating systems and people's preferences regarding them an interesting one.
Another point is the surprising urge of so many people to upgrade to newest version of their favourite OSes despite being satisfied with what they currently have and being aware of the risks
of such an upgrade.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

pacho37 wrote:
z31fanatic wrote:If you are Windows free then why do you bother with the thread?
Mainly because I find the topic of operating systems and people's preferences regarding them an interesting one.
Me too!
Will you upgrade to Win 10 upon release?
I think there is nothing Microsoft can do to make me change from my current Linux Mint system. And I doubt anyone who is already comfortable with it would change anyway.

Of course, I will have to download and install Windows 10 on virtual machines to learn more about it because it is important that I keep updated about popular things such as Windows, and there are things which still insists in "Windows Only" compatibility (e.g. school, internet banking, work). And that makes Windows an obligation.

And as I am being forced to use it... Do not expect me to buy an expensive license just to do those things. I will keep it unlicensed till I can't anymore and then re-install or patch with illegal software.

LOL!
Last edited by BlueKnight on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Well I still haven't got it. My games PC is still waiting for MS to allow it to download. I wonder what % of net traffic is this today?

My office PC took some messing to get it to kick off a download in VirtualBox but it has now started. I had the W10 Update update fail with error 80240020 but found a work-around at TenForums. Taking ages, tho!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

mintybits wrote:Well I still haven't got it. My games PC is still waiting for MS to allow it to download. I wonder what % of net traffic is this today?

My office PC took some messing to get it to kick off a download in VirtualBox but it has now started. I had the W10 Update update fail with error 80240020 but found a work-around at TenForums. Taking ages, tho!
Win10 uses an interesting mechanism to update systems with Win10. When you download an update you become a seed for a peer-to-peer system to update others:
By default, Windows 10 enables peer-to-peer downloads over the Internet as well, and your PC will use some of your upload bandwidth sending those Windows updates to other PCs. You can disable this by selecting only “PCs on my local network” here.
http://www.howtogeek.com/223068/what-yo ... indows-10/
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Installed it in one of my machines. It took about an hour for everything to complete.
I spend about 30 minutes with it and so far so good. No problems but I am sure that I will find some bug once I get deeper into it. It's always the case with the release of a new OS.
3mutts

Post by 3mutts »

I installed it today (though I've been using it since it first went to public beta on a 2006 dell) and so far I've not had any issues that I would consider major (the only issue I had after the update was that I had to install win10 drivers).
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

I have just upgrade one of several Win7 machine.

No regret, it is very simple , intuitive, and it just works.

I have spent only 10 minutes to play around, not much trouble to orientate and get to work almost immediately.

Just one note, I did this first one on a multi-boot machine, two hard disks, two Win7, I upgrade one Win7 to Win10 and let another Win7 to be as a backup.
After upgrade, as expect I need to repair grub and let all Linux OS to be bootable.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

I'm not rushing into it. Hopefully Microsoft will release a Service Pack 1, or something similar, before the one year "upgrade for free" offer expires. I tried a couple of the Technical Previews early on, and I wasn't very impressed with either of them, which is why I'm not running around with my hair on fire over the official Windows 10 release.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
Alley Cat

Post by Alley Cat »

I put together two desktop PC's so l could have both Linux and Windows without dual-booting. I downloaded the 10 ISO last night as soon as MS put it up. So far it's running very smooth, snappier than 7 (Never tried 8 or 8.1). The theme makes me feel like I'm using KDE. Only glitches: An Nvidia driver update failed, according to Windows Update and asked if I wanted to try again. When I did, it checked my system and said everything was up-to-date and has been that way since? Then, a little bit ago, I had the whole thing lock up, mouse and keyboard, and had to use the power switch to restart. Only thing running was the Task Manager.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

Hello Alley Cat - The issue with Nvidia drivers was reported two days prior to the release: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... -problems/

It seems Nvidia released a new driver, but after encountering problems, advised users to roll back to the previous version. On Windows 10 Home edition, with automatic Windows Updates being the default and having no way to change it, Windows keeps installing what it sees as the "latest" version every time you boot the system. Arrrrrrgh!
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

Ok, I have finally got it working on my two PCs but not without a struggle.

Gaming PC - Windows & Mint dual boot
1) The registration upgrade route did not work. I ended up being told to wait until notified the upgrade was ready. But this never happened.
2) I tried upgrading from the Windows10_x64 ISO which I burned to a DVD. This started to work but crashed out with "Something went wrong" (but I won't tell you what! :P )
This challenged me for a while until I realized my dual boot might be the culprit. Mint and Grub are on a separate disk to Windows. Only when I set the BIOS to boot the Windows disk directly did the installation work.
3) The AMD R9 280X card continued to work fine but I have since upgraded the drivers.

Office PC - Windows in Virtual Box running on Mint
1) The registration upgrade failed due to the Virtual Box graphics driver not being compatible. This was a surprise as I was already running W10 TP in another machine.
2) I tried upgrading from the Windows10_x32 ISO.
3) The installation failed by hanging at the start screen. Had to be fixed by enabling PAE/NX (which is odd because Windows 7 didn't need this and I use 2GB RAM).
4) It installed fine and runs fine except that it completely hung up once and I had to reset the virtual machine.

In both cases, Cortana didn't appear in the start menu until I set the region and language to US/US English. It seems she (or he if you choose Mark) is an all-American gal.

First impressions are good. It seems nippier than W8 and its menus are much better organised. Cortana is surprisingly good (I haven't used Siri) so long as you fake a North American accent :lol: or not if you are already NA like me. Scribbling all over websites with Edge is quite fun. I don't like the advertising "opportunities" all over it but I can sympathize with their need to make some dosh to pay for the thing and their need to catch up with the Android Store. The fact that it will (or should) run usably on multiple device types is great although I have an Android mobile and an Android tablet so I won't be taking advantage of this in the near future. The cloud sync features look like a great idea too (privacy issues notwithstanding) although I haven't tried this out yet (because I am privacy-paranoid).

I have no desire to go back to W7 yet. :) I always have a strong desire to go back to Mint after using Windows and this hasn't changed. :D
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

one of my contacts sent me the following

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-p ... ta-abused/

I assume its true, another good reason to avoid M$
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

I will be upgrading from Win7 to Win10 on my test laptop that is currently a Win7/10 Insider dual boot (tomorrow or Sat)
Then I'm going to nuke the Win10 Insider partition and install Mint 17.2 RC KDE.

I will base how Windows upgrades and then runs on whether to upgrade the remainder of my Win 7/8.1 machines, but I'm not rushing into any decision.

Return to “Open Chat”