Need help getting utorrent asap

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trippin

Need help getting utorrent asap

Post by trippin »

im wondering if anyone can help me out with getting utorrent on mint.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Try'n 2 Learn

Re: Need help getting utorrent asap

Post by Try'n 2 Learn »

sorry for the off-topic response. if you have a magnet link, your native torrent app, per your distro, may be able to fetch and/or serve the file of interest. if uttorent is not in your software/synaptics mgr., you'll stand a greater chance of problems.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

There has never been a linux version of utorrent that was worth installing. They just don't maintain it properly. If you're using mint 17 or its base ubuntu 14.04 there isn't even a current release for them. And they've been out for some time. I don't use any ppas and only used a deb file for Chrome, and it's supported for 14.04/17. There's just no way I'd install any apps that aren't.

According to the Wine database utorrent isn't all that reliable either with that program. I have Wine installed but don't use it. It just doesn't work all that well.

In other words, I wouldn't bother.

The torrent client that comes with mint works just as well for most users including myself. There are other more powerful ones like Deluge, which I haven't used but I often see recommended.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Tixati

http://www.tixati.com/

It looks a little dated, but has some really great features.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

hpmc13 wrote:Tixati

They claim that it runs on 'modern' linux distros like fedora and ubuntu but they don't actually say what releases it runs on.

It requires installing from a deb file ... which can really make your OS unstable if you don't know what you're doing ... since it isn't in the repos. This kind of crap is largely why there are so many posts by noobs on linux forums wondering why their system won't update properly.

It's not in the repos, and there a re a bunch of excellent programs that are in the repos.

No frakking way.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Many uTorrent refugees end up using qBittorrent. It makes sense considering how qBittorrent’s interface is self-described as “uTorrent-like”, plus it shares a lot of uTorrent’s features, so uTorrent fans should feel at home here. Plus, it's in the Mint repo.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
hpmc13 wrote:Tixati

They claim that it runs on 'modern' linux distros like fedora and ubuntu but they don't actually say what releases it runs on.

It requires installing from a deb file ... which can really make your OS unstable if you don't know what you're doing ... since it isn't in the repos. This kind of crap is largely why there are so many posts by noobs on linux forums wondering why their system won't update properly.

It's not in the repos, and there a re a bunch of excellent programs that are in the repos.

No frakking way.
Suit yourself. I've used it since LM13 with nary a problem.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

trippin wrote:im wondering if anyone can help me out with getting utorrent on mint.
Hi trippin,

As others have already posted, each edition and version of Linux Mint already has a working "BitTorrent" client like "utorrent", in your Internet Menu; which I would try if I were you; just click it to start it, then you can use it. In my KDE desktop, we get "Ktorrent" which works great. I have used a lot of various BitTorrent clients over the years, and they all work pretty much the same. I do like "deluge" though.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

phd21 wrote:.... each edition and version of Linux Mint already has a working "BitTorrent" client like "utorrent", in your Internet Menu; which I would try if I were you....
Quite true. The Cinnamon versions contain "Transmission", which works very well. It's a simplistic interface, but it does the job! There are also many "behind the scenes" settings that you can configure from the Preferences menu as needed.

Any particular reason why you wouldn't just use the built-in client?
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

utorrent is bad, it's proprietary that could put you at risk!!!

I recommend qbittorrent, it's available in the Synaptic Program Manager and has a nice easy interface! :mrgreen:
gto52

Post by gto52 »

Chiefahol wrote:utorrent is bad, it's proprietary that could put you at risk!!!

I recommend qbittorrent, it's available in the Synaptic Program Manager and has a nice easy interface! :mrgreen:
+1

Been using qBittorrent since May last year when I switched to Mint from XP, no complaints.
gto52

Post by gto52 »

If you do go with qbittorrent check this link for IP Filtering:

https://www.foresightlinux.se/add-block ... ittorrent/
lollapalooza

Post by lollapalooza »

ralplpcr wrote:
phd21 wrote:.... each edition and version of Linux Mint already has a working "BitTorrent" client like "utorrent", in your Internet Menu; which I would try if I were you....
Quite true. The Cinnamon versions contain "Transmission", which works very well. It's a simplistic interface, but it does the job! There are also many "behind the scenes" settings that you can configure from the Preferences menu as needed.

Any particular reason why you wouldn't just use the built-in client?
You can't choose files in Trasmission, that's the only reason why I moved to Deluge.
Shryp

Post by Shryp »

I will also recommend Deluge. I used uTorrent for a long time in Windows and switched to Deluge in Windows a few months ago, so it was natural to go with Deluge on linux as well. I was using uTorrent on wine just fine on Ubuntu about 7 years ago or so, but that was a long time ago. The RSS stuff was my main reason for wanting to keep uTorrent at the time, but now there are several options.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

lollapalooza wrote:... You can't choose files in Trasmission, that's the only reason why I moved to Deluge.
I gotta admit that's a decent reason ....
FuzzBallHall

Post by FuzzBallHall »

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

FuzzBallHall wrote:Image
http://tinyurl.com/ophclas
It's not a good idea to use a ppa to install a newer version of something that's already in the standard repos unless there is some new feature you just can't live without. The programs in the repos are tested for your release.

Linux is very stable but using untested software makes it less stable. Common noob mistake. There are tons of entries in forums from newbies whose systems are messed up from this kind of thing.

Actually I said before you can't selectively download individual files with Transmission. That's not 100% true. You can do it if using torrent files but not with magnets AFAIK.

Return to “Software & Applications”