Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by BigEasy »

Most terrible thing in Windows from W7 to now is windows updates. I doubt Is it written by humans.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Haven't read the other items in this thread so I might be writing doubles here:

Windows 10 is the largest spyware software in the world,

especially when you install it using the MS recommended way. When doing so they (MS) really know everything there is to know about you, no key on the keyboard is private, no mouseclick will stay inside your computer, they want it all.
I installed it over Windows 7 and apart of the ugly menu (Which I have cut in half already by deleting the so called live tiles immediately) I don't see major differences with 7.
Yes, they have a new browser, so what. They want it to be different from IE but give it almost the same icon, so a definite no-go. I have my Chrome and I keep using Chrome.
After installing it, which cost me about one hour (and I have an eight-core processor running at 4.4GHz with 16GB of ram) I have been busy for 2 hours to slowly, step-by-step transform this spyware into an operating system by switching off about anything there is to be switched off, un-installing as much of the new crap MS gives you because they know it is useless anyway. No idea if that is enough, knowing MS they probably still get info from me. I want to keep my stuff private, I don't want it to be in the cloud (no idea why people like clouds so much, I will never ever use them) and I don't want MS to sell my info to the highest bidder so they can make money from it. "But we were so friendly to give you 10". No reason to spy on me. You want it back? Take it, 7 runs just fine on my laptop, will be supported till 2019 by the time my laptop is 8 years old and probably not working any more.

People: stick with Linux and preferably LinuxMint. This is an OS like an OS should be, stable, fast, good looking and spyware free. Let's hope it will stay like this forever so we don't need the MS crap.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

DeMus wrote:"But we were so friendly to give you 10".
Should read: "we give you 10 not because we are friendly, but because we in great trouble since w8 so we forced do do something free now for 1 year. What is really free is millions of free testers-kamikadze of our production."
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
reddot

Post by reddot »

'
JohnBobSmith wrote: Now to get a new flat screen monitor because the ancient CRT monitor I had (yes, CRT monitor that weighs 40lbs) didnt enjoy the trip down my porch stairs...
LOL, the old days of the crt :) i still use one for my file server, viewsonic G90fb, once it fails, it will meet my hammer!!!
capivara wrote:Well, it works. It works fast.
We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.
Hans
Wow, just wow, why on earth would anyone agree to that. The future for MS looks like total sheet.
DeMus wrote:Haven't read the other items in this thread so I might be writing doubles here:
Its possibly the next marketing platform to squeeze as much revenue as possible, greedy basterds
DeMus wrote:Haven't read the other items in this thread so I might be writing doubles here:
After installing it, which cost me about one hour (and I have an eight-core processor running at 4.4GHz with 16GB of ram) I have been busy for 2 hours to slowly, step-by-step transform this spyware into an operating system by switching off about anything there is to be switched off, un-installing as much of the new crap MS gives you because they know it is useless anyway. No idea if that is enough, knowing MS they probably still get info from me.
LOL, thats terrible, i can install linux mint 17.2 mate in less than 5min, and completely install and uninstall in 25 all programs that i need using aptik.
DeMus wrote: People: stick with Linux and preferably LinuxMint. This is an OS like an OS should be, stable, fast, good looking and spyware free. Let's hope it will stay like this forever so we don't need the MS crap.
Unfortunately, some software is still not usable in wine, so many are stuck in the MS zone. I personally dont game anymore, i played counter strike for over 9 years since 2000. CS is available in steam for linux :), im terrified to play it again, i know ill start gaming again. Warcaft 3 is awesome, sad theres very little players on the net a few years ago, dont know about today. I also got hooked on Planetside for over half a decade, havent played Planetside 2 and it sucks its not available for linux straight off the bat. I would stay away from gaming, just my opinion, its very addictive. BTW i hate consoles unless i can strap a keyboard and mouse, but im pretty sure that defeats the purpose of a console right? to use lame controllers than hardcore precision tools like a proper mouse.

I definitely will not be using any Microsoft OS anytime soon, i have not used windows for over 9 months, i just see it useless. Everthing i need to do is in linux mint 17.2 mate, everything for business and personal. I never need to restart for updates, updates lightning fast too. Super stable OS, I would say computer noobs cant mess with my pc, hahaha. No need for spyware, adware and anti-virus, unless you dont want to infect a windows system.

I would thou be open to look into mac, if i could only take a screenshot of my sisters desktop it was a nightmare, all icons were compact and it looked like atleast 300 files on the desktop LOL.

Again not a mac thing but a really messy not organized human operator.

I do want to thank Red Hat Linux for selling the distro back in the 90s, just looking for random software for my windows 95/98 desktop i randomly saw Red Hat Linux in the software section in a officedepot, thanks to them im now a FULL BLOW GNU/LINUX USER!!!

Thank you Red Hat Linux for that implant.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

There is a saying that goes something like this: If you are not paying for something, you are the product. Not the customer. What this means is that MS giving away Windows 10 is almost 100% chance to spy on more people. I have an odd viewpoint on spying/knowledge. I don't see any harm in MS holding the knowledge of what Jane got for Christmas over the internet. Its just knowledge, nothing more. Should technical people be punished for knowing how to hack? No, so long as they control what they are doing with said knowledge. Microsoft fails this test, likely selling personal info for profit. And that is where I draw the line. I don't care a whole lot about what data large companies collect. Most of it is legitimately improving a product or user experience or is used for statistical purposes. But selling personal info for profit, obtaining such data in devious, deceptive ways, or otherwise breaching privacy without consent is what gripes me.

My opinions on Windows 10? Rubbish.

I never was able to get that old desktop and Windows 7 to install correctly without constantly failing on me. 5 attempts later, I have given up for good. I'd rather tweak WINE to get stuff working then waste days (yes, days) messing with a Windows 7 install. My brother was sad about the failed install, so now I am looking for alternate games for him.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

The novelty is wearing off for me.

I just realized that there is a setting for allowing your PC to seed updates to someone else's PC in the background to effectively make your PC a MS download server.

I don't like the idea of a company using my PC as a distribution hub. But what I really TAKE EXCEPTION to is that this setting is ON BY DEFAULT and it isn't all that easy to find. It is in advanced options somewhere in the updates section.

When MS PRESUMES it is fine to use my PC and my internet which I built and paid for as a convenient means to spread its virus all over the country BUT DOES NOT EXPLICITLY ASK MY PERMISSION then I object!

I don't object when Linux asks me to re-seed after I have enjoyed a bit torrent because that is simple reciprocation and isn't profiting any shareholders.

Check your W10 settings everyone. :shock:
reddot

Post by reddot »

mintybits wrote: I don't like the idea of a company using my PC as a distribution hub. But what I really TAKE EXCEPTION to is that this setting is ON BY DEFAULT and it isn't all that easy to find. It is in advanced options somewhere in the updates section.
i dont think the average windows user knows the existence of "God-Mode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"
now if those options you say are really deeply hidden there must be allot of sheet to turn off, it must be nsa friendly

i only used windows 10 in testing phase, i had no clue it was the next generation marketing tool.
seriously cant they just keep updating windows xp, like make updates for the next 50 years, or make all pc programs compatible with windows xp.
it was really hard for me to move to windows 7 from xp, vista was horrible, and 8/8.1 even worse. Im still in love with xp even thou it loves to show me blue screens all the time.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

mintybits wrote:The novelty is wearing off for me.

I just realized that there is a setting for allowing your PC to seed updates to someone else's PC in the background to effectively make your PC a MS download server.

I don't like the idea of a company using my PC as a distribution hub. But what I really TAKE EXCEPTION to is that this setting is ON BY DEFAULT and it isn't all that easy to find. It is in advanced options somewhere in the updates section.

When MS PRESUMES it is fine to use my PC and my internet which I built and paid for as a convenient means to spread its virus all over the country BUT DOES NOT EXPLICITLY ASK MY PERMISSION then I object!

I don't object when Linux asks me to re-seed after I have enjoyed a bit torrent because that is simple reciprocation and isn't profiting any shareholders.

Check your W10 settings everyone. :shock:
Windows before 2015:
- Fresh install
- Update
- Download and install drivers (insert the CD if any)
- Download and install your basic software (insert the CD if any)
- ~3 hours later.... start using your PC,

Windows after 2015:
- Fresh install
- Update
- Adjust ~50 default settings
- Download and install drivers (insert the CD if any)
- Download and install your basic software (insert the CD if any)
- ~4 hours later.... start using your PC,
- On your free time, crawl the Internet to check if you missed anything.

Come on guys is just a minor change! :mrgreen:
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

The other thing I just found is that my gaming PC can no longer open my Samba share from my Linux machine. It worked fine in Windows 7 but now it reports an error that it cannot explain! It finds the share and its subfolders but cannot open them. I found a similar problem on VBox when playing with the Technical Preview. They must have changed something. My general impression of Windows networking over the years is that it sucks badly. I have never had any trouble at all using Linux.

I also have a problem installing iTunes. It refuses to install claiming it doesn't have permission to modify a file in a particular directory. I also found I could not save a picture downloaded from the web using Firefox, to my Pictures folder, because I didn't have permission to do so. My account does have administrative status. Something weird is going on.
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

My opinion on Win10 so far:

There are so many articles/blogs about the huge amount of spyware in Win10 that if I had even a small curiosity about trying out the OS before, I do not want to even look at it now. May it go the final resting place of Win 9 very soon!
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

DeMus wrote:
The largest spyware threat in the world today is...

...end users who unwillingly (but often willingly) give away their personal and private information.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Well, after having used this thing for a while now I'll have to admit there is a lot to dislike but the new feature they added for connecting to Linux and OSX shares is really working surprisingly well.

Supporting Samba is what I basically do in this forum and the change they made has made my life a whole lot easier. Ironically the standard way of using SMB / Samba on Windows seems to have degraded a bit - actually more than a bit - but the new way is a life saver.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
simonbrown

Post by simonbrown »

installed it on my modern but very underpowered acer aspire touch v3-112P which had windows 8.1 triple booted with rafaela and lmde2. The install took for ever, but the end result looks reasonable enough. I could swear they are trying to make it look like cinnamon ;-) The issue I have is that it is SO SLOW. 17.2 Cinnamon and LMDE2 run like greased lightning in comparison. But this is a very underpowered little laptop, and 8.1 beforehand was also very slow. It might be quite a different story on a machine with more horsepower.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Haven't read it here yet (but I may have missed it): Windows 10 looks bloody ugly, at least by default. Yuck.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

To each his own. I think 10 is the best looking Windows ever. It finally looks like a modern OS.
7 and everything prior were ugly in my opinion.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

z31fanatic wrote:To each his own. I think 10 is the best looking Windows ever. It finally looks like a modern OS.
7 and everything prior were ugly in my opinion.
Windows 10 looks nice, but it could be better. They made a somewhat lazy work at it, no major modifications on icons and many things.

The best looking Windows in my opinion were (taking into consideration amount of work and creativity):
1.Windows XP.
2.Windows 7 (just like Vista, but better).
3.Windows Vista.
4.Windows 10.

But the Linux distributions are not bad in design at all, I already saw many well designed and beautiful icons and themes. Especially those that comes packaged with the system (Linux Mint/Xubuntu/Ubuntu/Elementary), and also a very good selection of desktop background to choose.

Thank you!
dukeinlondon

Post by dukeinlondon »

mintybits wrote:I really like the start menu. If Canonical had come up with this instead of Unity I might still be running Ubuntu. For me it has allowed me to remove a lot of shortcuts off my desktop and make them tiles in the start menu instead. The tiles can also be arranged in groups whose name you can define. IMO the start menu is a very good balance of flexibility and usability. The "live tile" feature is great too...I can glance the latest weather and headlines whenever I open the start menu which means I don't need this stuff cluttering the desktop. No doubt I'll find other things to clutter my desktop. :roll:
completely agree.
dukeinlondon

Post by dukeinlondon »

I like the looks of it. The start menu is brilliant although I am one of those who liked the 'modern' start of w8. I like the little I've played with it but something I still don't understand is why it is so slow. Sure my laptop is ancient but it's very slow to get going, all this disk activity sure doesn't help. Apart from that, it's been without issues.
One big thing is that my girlfriend didn't even seem to register the upgrade, got no questions whatsoever. That's got to be good !
Hendrick
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hendrick »

Most of the time I'm on Mint 17.2, but I nevertheless upgraded from Windows version 8.1 to version 10.
To my surprise I even got Paint Shop Pro 8 (released in 2003) working. Not bad at all.
On the other hand, I mainly use Windows for backing up all partitions from time to time. It's not really
my "workhorse" like Mint.

Hendrick / Amsterdam
Mint Xfce - Mint Cinnamon - Win11 Pro
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

security issues- Patch Tuesday continues
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11 ... ust_patch/
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Open Chat”