thnking of trying the mint 64 have question

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leo5111
Level 4
Level 4

thnking of trying the mint 64 have question

Post by leo5111 »

for instance will 32 bit apps run on it or just 64 bit versions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: thnking of trying the mint 64 have question

Post by AK Dave »

Yes, 32bit apps can run on a 64bit OS.
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

I had a related question.. is driver support more or less the same for the 64bit kernel? That's probably a loaded question but I imagine that porting a Linux kernel driver to 64bit is much easier then the alternative in windows.. I'm just wondering if it's possible to run into some hardware support issues on extremely old or extremely new hardware.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I don't think there is any such creature as "extremely old hardware" that supports 64bit.

But, are hardware issues a potential problem? Yes.
Locuust

Post by Locuust »

Thanks for the answer.. I guess I didn't think too hard on that old hardware bit but I'm sure there's plenty of peripherals and hardware RAID cards that might fall into that category. I don't know about you but I'm not keen about replacing hardware if it's not broke and works for it's intended purpose. /shrug. Anyhow its suffice to say that you need fairly fresh hardware for new software. I get that.

We're talking semantics though. I guess my question really was - Is driver support for the 64bit kernel more backward compatible then say the MS world? I'd hope yes considering MS loves to play the driver/support card to force upgrades.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

It looks to me, from my perspective, that there is a wider range of supported hardware for i386 linux than for amd64. Having said that, theoretically 32bit drivers work with a 64bit OS. But some of us remember trying to use 16bit drivers in a 32bit OS and how wonderful that experience was.

Thus the only honest answer I can really give: Your Mileage May Vary.

Return to “Software & Applications”