Very strange problem with the GUI

Questions about applications and software
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Very strange problem with the GUI

Post by Kenneth1 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:49 am

Hello,

I have a very strange problem with my GUI. I have had the problem with standard mint and LMDE2, but I will post here because I prefer LMDE and I think this is a subject for advanced users.

First things first, I will tell you what I'm using:
MSI B85-G43
16 GB 4x 4GB Kingston ram, 1333 MhZ DDR3
1 Intel i7 4790K
1 Evga nvidia 750 Gtx-ti graphic card
LMDE is installed on 2 hard drivers:
1 64 GB Sandisk sata SSD (root, boot, srv)
1 500 GB Western digital HD (home, tmp)
I have a 600 W Xilence power supply

I also run another nameless OS on a 120GB Intel SSD plus a 500GB Western digital HD for stuff related to that resource hog OS.

FYI, I had no trouble installing the Nvidia driver and disableing nouveau. Videos work nicely.

Now here's my problem. When I click on "control panel", the window doesn't open, however there is a representation of control panel on the task bar. So I can't access control panel and I can't close it without killing the program. This is a small problem compared to the next problem.

I write in German and English. I can access the keyboard layout controls from the (forgive me for calling it this) "start menu". I have no problem until I try to add a keyboard layout. Here it freezes the whole program forcing me to force the program to shut down. This is super irritating because the ä,ö, ü, ß, and € symbols are missing completely on the US layout. I really need both.

Most likely related to this is that some programs like Steam won't launch and behave exactly like the control panel. The rest of the stuff I can use. I can use office, do calculations, make videos, but this I can't do.
I hope I can sort this out because as you can see, I spent a bit of money on hardware and I want to see what an ultra efficient OS like LMDE can do with all that power.

As a point of reference: I have standard mint installed on my laptop and I have had none of these problems. I used to have LMDE1 on that one but I switched to regular mint because that laptop has an AMD Radeon graphic card and I soon figured out that the all purpose proprietary driver for linux just sucked for video games. In other words AMD put all its effort into one driver for Ubuntu and Ubuntu campatible distros. I assumed that with Nvidia being more widespread, I'd have a better chance of my good graphic card working well on LMDE. So far I'm about 90% right, i just need help sanding the rough edges. Advice?

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Very strange problem with the GUI

Post by Monsta » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:45 am

Which desktop environment? MATE or Cinnamon?

Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Monsta wrote:Which desktop environment? MATE or Cinnamon?
I'm using MATE. Thanks for responding.

Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:28 am

Kenneth1 wrote:Now here's my problem. When I click on "control panel", the window doesn't open, however there is a representation of control panel on the task bar. So I can't access control panel and I can't close it without killing the program. This is a small problem compared to the next problem.
Try running it from the terminal and check if it shows any error messages:

Code: Select all

mate-control-center
Kenneth1 wrote:I write in German and English. I can access the keyboard layout controls from the (forgive me for calling it this) "start menu". I have no problem until I try to add a keyboard layout. Here it freezes the whole program forcing me to force the program to shut down.
Do you mean the keyboard settings dialog that freezes? Or does some other app freeze when you actually switch between the layouts?

Kenneth1 wrote:Most likely related to this is that some programs like Steam won't launch and behave exactly like the control panel.
Again, try running them from the terminal to check for any possible error messages.

Return to “Software & Applications”