Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
uzername
Level 3
Level 3

What's Wrong with Avidemux?

Post by uzername » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:43 am

I have a logitech C310 webcam that I used to just plug in and use with guvcview without any problems. I'd open the vid in avidemux to trim or whatever I needed to do, and then reencode it to an mpg or avi. Simple, easy, and never any problems.

Not sure exactly when it started, but now when I load videos in avidemex, it shows an error, "trouble initializing audio device," and the videos play at an increased speed. I've selected both alsa and pulseaudio as the audio device in avidemux (my system uses pulse), and neither one works. As for the video speed issue, I have absolutely no clue why it's suddenly doing this. I've tried using various framerates in avidemux and different encoders in guvcview, but when I open the vid in avidemux, it still looks like a charlie chaplin film. The original mkv video made with guvcview works fine, it's just 10x bigger than I need it to be.

Can anyone shed any insight on this? I tried installing avidemux2.6, but it won't install using various methods including the package manager, saying there are dependencies that won't install, etc. Really need to get this fixed ASAP. My biz partner also sends me vids for our website that I need to reencode, and I can't find any other program that does easily what avidemux does.
Linux counter #317716

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Re: What's Wrong with Avidemux?

Post by kukamuumuka » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:13 am

1. Use Avidemux-qt
2. If that does not help, convert video before avidemuxing using HandBrake, WinFF, FFMulticonverter, ... etc.

uzername
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uzername » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks, I will try those suggestions.

One thing I just noticed when I turned on the frame rate notification in guvcview is that the video is only recording between about 5 and 12 FPS. even though I have 25fps selected. If avidemux thinks it was recorded at 25fps, I suppose that might account for it playing faster?
Linux counter #317716

kukamuumuka
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kukamuumuka » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:03 pm

uzername wrote:Thanks, I will try those suggestions.

One thing I just noticed when I turned on the frame rate notification in guvcview is that the video is only recording between about 5 and 12 FPS. even though I have 25fps selected. If avidemux thinks it was recorded at 25fps, I suppose that might account for it playing faster?
You can change speed / frame rate.
avidemux frame rate.jpg

uzername
Level 3
Level 3

Post by uzername » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Thanks. I had already tried changing the framerate there, but it made no difference in how it was displaying. I used handbrake to convert the files, and that seems to be working, so TYVM!

When I open the handbrake-rendered vid in avidemux -- still a mkv container -- that works properly in avidemux. So I'd still like to know what setting or issue is causing avidemux not to render the original file correctly -- am I missing a codec or something else in avidemux? -- but otherwise I consider the problem solved in a practical sense.
Linux counter #317716

Return to “Software & Applications”