WOT Play on Linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnBobSmith

Re: WOT Play on Linux

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Having left WOT at v9.1, and seeing this thread, I am planning on getting back into the game if I can. Launcher failure after launcher failure wont stop me. I'm downloading all of MS visual studio and .NET junk that a thread on wargaming's site said was mandatory, in addition to a few other things. That will also help some of my other games I'm sure. I never got great FPS in Windows 8, but I'm sure I can hack something together and make it work.

I'm just bracing myself for the 6GB download with average speed 150KB/s... Life with a bad ISP, *sighs*... :(
Booman

Post by Booman »

performance really comes down to your video card and hardware.
My GeForce 550 Ti ran it pretty well with almost everything on high.

Wine always ads a bit of overhead and can slow things down a bit, but if you have a nice dual-core processor and more than 4GB of RAM, then your machine can handle Wine and games.

The cool thing about PlayOnLinux is, once you download the entire game and it runs fine, you can back up the virtual drive to another hard drive and never have to download it again.
You can always setup another virtual drive and copy the game files back into it, then launch as if it were the first time.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Here's something I found. If anyone wanting to play World of Tanks is having launcher issues (errors and failing to download), then what you need to do is disable torrents. It's very easy. Open the launcher, top right corner hit the wrench, and uncheck "Allow to use torrent". Just this one setting fixed all the launcher errors for me. I likely do need the MSVS2010, MSVS2008 and minor misc packages for the game client (and other future games) to work, but no more WoT launcher errors.

15% done after 3 hours, yay... Better than nothing though.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I completely forgot about that!
Thanks
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

No problem. While I'm at it, I figure it cant hurt to post my laptop's specs and wine version. I encourage others to do the same, maybe we could have a sort of mini-database of what works and what does not with WoT.

The commands I want to use are inxi -SCG and wine --version, though you could use whatever.

Code: Select all

david@johnbobsmith-laptop ~ $ inxi -SCG
System:    Host: johnbobsmith-laptop Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
CPU:       Dual core AMD A4-4300M APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1400.00 MHz 2: 2500.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7420G] 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) Resolution: 1366x768@60.1hz 
           GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7420G GLX Version: 4.4.13374 - CPC 15.20.1013
david@johnbobsmith-laptop ~ $ wine --version
wine-1.6.2
david@johnbobsmith-laptop ~ $ 
Booman

Post by Booman »

Nice, didn't realize you were using an AMD video card. I'm glad you are having success with it.
I'm surprised you are using Wine 1.6.2
You might want to try newer versions like 1.7.49 or even 1.7.49-staging
Those staging version can supply some extra performance
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Ah, is there a way to painlessly upgrade? I didn't notice that I was using wine 1.6, I definitely want the latest version. Beta/staging versions work for me. I'll see if there's a way.

EDIT: It appears 1.6 is the latest stable version/series. I'm experimenting with 1.7 now, will post how it goes.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Yes, since you are using PlayOnLinux, one of the greatest features is downloading other versions of Wine on-the-fly
Just go to Tools
Click Wine Manager
Select the Wine you want and click the arrow
Then go to PlayOnLinux Configure
Select your game on the left
Click the arrow where you see Wine version (on the right)
Select another version of Wine
Start your game again
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Ah, I am not using PoL. Just native wine at this time. I'd rather not muck with play on linux. I have done so in the past and got horrible results.

World of tanks is still downloading more than 8 hours later, time for some sleep.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Interesting... I've received only Great results from PlayOnLinux

Ok, if you are using Wine alone, you will have to manually upgrade to the newest Wine version.
Unfortunately new Wine can sometimes break things. For the most part it fixes a lot of things too.

This is why I use PlayOnLinux because its very similar to Winetricks because it creates a "sandbox" space for your windows C: drive and your game.
They call it a "virtual drive"
Crossover calls it a "Bottle"

Either way, you can install game in different "virtual drives" and use different versions of Wine on-the-fly
You will never be stuck with one version of wine.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Yeah, the upgrade process broke a lot of things. So now I have my 32 bit bare wine drive for steam games and misc other applications, and I am using the PoL virtual drive for world of tanks. Waiting to see if this helps to get past the crash upon entering garage.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Great, welcome on-board to PlayOnLinux
I always do manual installations with my games because the scripts are not always up-to-date.
Or the scripts use older versions of Wine.

If you still get stuck, try launching with "Debug" and it will output all of the errors and bugs
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

Good news! I can play world of tanks in WINE!

The bad news is I have to play it at 10 FPS. I'm going to upgrade my video drivers and see how that goes.
Booman

Post by Booman »

in Wine alone or PlayOnLinux?
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

When I had it working, I did install Play on Linux. I've since wiped my drive sadly. :( See here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=203310
Finnstrip

Post by Finnstrip »

Oh man. I've been playing WoT Blitz now couple of months and I'd like to get the computer version of WoT running on my Linux Mint desktop (since my windows laptop is less powerful for that purpose). Any word if the game is actually working on Linux and/or in Mint?
wibbly
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wibbly »

I need to get the updater to run in order to resume playing, all I get when I run it is an unformatted window but that doesn't show me the progress bar or any messages, so I can't tell whether its updating or not. I gave up in the end and play War Thunder nowadays. That runs natively in Linux and to be honest it's streets ahead of WOT in every respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1RQ2LVWGU
Linuxmint 64bit version Always the latest version
Intel i5 4690k @ 3.50Ghz x 4
Ram 8GB
WD Black 1TB
GEForce GT460SE 1GB
Finnstrip

Post by Finnstrip »

Installed before mentioned "Playonlinux" software and installed WoT through that and I got the game installed and updated and it runs on my Linux Mint now. Bad news are that I still need to upgrade my computer to match at least minimum specs to the game :)

1st I tried to install the game just downloading the installer/launcher from the WoT site and install the game through Wine but that didn't work at all. The installer giving me the error messages but then I switched to that Playonlinux -program and everything went smoothly with no problems at all

Return to “Gaming”