Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by MtnDewManiac »

BigEasy wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:
BigEasy wrote:Tell me, when you buy smartphone, does this mean you choose Android?
Absolutely! Unless it's an Apple product, and then - obviously - I will have chosen iOS.
False! You would be right if you said: "I choose IOS, so I must to buy IPhone". Do you feel the difference in thinking order?
<SCRATCHES HEAD> Not really. Not at all, actually - as I'm able to think about more than one thing at a time, I simultaneously chose to purchase a non-Apple product that ran a customized version of Android that has parts of - but isn't - CyanogenMod in it. And just to be clear, I couldn't have cared less if it had been a Motorola phone running a version of Android, an Apple phone running iOS, or a heavily modified 1976 Lost In Space flavored Walkie Talkie that ran a hacked together OS written in its entirety by some guy named Fred - I bought the thing because the carrier was willing to offer me unlimited talk, text, and data for $19.95 per month, with NO contract, for life; technically I suppose it's not truly unlimited data, as I've heard that if I go over five gigs per month regularly (such as in two consecutive months plus another month in less than a year), they'll send you a Sternly Worded Email asking you to stop. But I'm not really positive about that because it's set up to do everything (including voice calls) via WiFi when there is a good pipe available. It's getting older and I could upgrade to a much newer version (2nd generation Moto X, 2nd generation Moto E, whatever else they start selling) with more features, but then I'd have to change my plan, and I like the one I have now - and I also like the fact that if I drop my phone in three feet of water and it takes me ½-hour to find it, it'll be fine (or in more practical terms, I can and do wash it regularly in my kitchen sink :P ). Admittedly, the fact that I'd then be able to switch in the middle of the billing period to their $10/month unlimited talk and text, other data via WiFi only, and then switch back again when work picked up might allow me to eat better in the Winter. And the slightly more expensive cellular data plan on the newer phones comes with a "rebate" deal where if you don't use all your data allowance, they refund some of what you paid. But I'm pretty happy with what I have. I knocked it off the kitchen counter, it hit the floor, (I think) one step, and the concrete basement floor and still works. I had it sitting on the dash of my buddy's F250 pickup that I was borrowing and managed to forget that he'd just done a bunch of mods that added 254 horsepower (and far more than that in terms of foot/pounds of torque :D ) to an already screaming turbo-diesel engine whilst I was on a moderate(ha!)-speed Interstate onramp and was too busy trying not to total his truck when I inadvertently exceeded both that Interstate's 70 mile per hour speed limit and the road-holding ability of both the 8,000 pound truck and its tires before I'd even left the onramp... so I didn't notice that the phone had slid right off the dash and out the open window at some point (I assume when I was sailing back in the other direction after (sort of) correcting, because it was the passenger window). It wasn't until I reached my destination and was about to call him and let him know that, yeah, the truck accelerates much faster now and probably did meet his goal of being able to attain 12.25 in the ¼-mile when I saw that my phone was gone. I figured it was around the onramp, went back, parked just off of it, and found it - and it was still working fine (I managed to ruin an Otterbox Defender case, though, which I would have thought to be impossible without destroying the phone).

All that being said, even though I made my phone choice based on what I'd be paying per month for the service... I still CHOSE the OS that it has. It was a package deal.

Oh: A friend of mine actually likes Microsoft's Windows 8.x OS :roll: . It's not his favorite - when I asked him if he'll be upgrading to MW10, he asked me if it'd look more like "that Mint Xfce thing you put on my last one for me," lol, and when I said I doubted it, he said that he'd just stick with MW8.x, then, because "it's kind of goofy-looking and my girlfriend won't even try to use my laptop, so it's great."

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

How is that a bad feature?

Get your head out of the sand.
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

z31fanatic wrote:

It is bad in the sense that Windows 7 users didn't agree to Windows 10 privacy settings and service agreement when they installed Windows 7.
Side note of interest: several countries are checking whether Windows 10 privacy policy is actually legal - currently Austria and Russia are investigating the issue and also some German agencies are looking into it.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

pacho37 wrote:
z31fanatic wrote:

It is bad in the sense that Windows 7 users didn't agree to Windows 10 privacy settings and service agreement when they installed Windows 7.
Side note of interest: several countries are checking whether Windows 10 privacy policy is actually legal - currently Austria and Russia are investigating the issue and also some German agencies are looking into it.
I am talking about the family monitoring feature. I don't see what's wrong with knowing what your child is doing on the internet.
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

z31fanatic wrote:[
I am talking about the family monitoring feature. I don't see what's wrong with knowing what your child is doing on the internet.
Misunderstanding then. Either way this all is really turning into some orwellian dystopia and I personally would have enough courage to trust my child makes reasonable choices on the internet without the need for weekly reports.
Otherwise I failed as a parent I think. But that is another topic not necessarily relevant to the W10 discussion.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

z31fanatic wrote:

Depends on the parent. I never felt the need to spy on my kid, and did not want my kid to grow up always being spied upon. It sets a mindset of spying as a way of life. But I would not judge what any individual parent does. But Microsoft on the other hand gathering such information about my child and having access to it is scary.
It is turned on by default even if you don't want to spy on your kids. I guess MS figures everyone likes spying since they do so much:

Windows 10 has a new feature: a comprehensive report on your child's activity delivered weekly to your inbox which is turned on by default.

Read more: http://uk.businessinsider.com/there-are ... z3kLKP6cSB
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

As time goes on since W10 release I have become increasingly shocked by what liberties Microsoft are taking, and taking covertly.

I support ISPs and web filter apps and so on that block unsavoury sites (at my discretion).

But I would not want a record of an individual account's web site visits (or any other content info) to be tracked by Microsoft. That's really out of order. That's like having an RFID implant and all your movements monitored.

I would strongly suggest to any parent that if you intend to monitor your child's website movements that you tell them upfront that you are doing it. And then I would find a local app to do it that keeps the results contained on your own private network.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade:
- provided that you still have access to the previous version of Windows ..
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/30/how-to ... t-upgrade/

how did they work that one out??.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

z31fanatic wrote:I am talking about the family monitoring feature. I don't see what's wrong with knowing what your child is doing on the internet.
At first don't teach them how to install Linux until 18yo. Otherwise, you will get a false result of your knowing attempts.
So, what we got? Windows is child (and housewifes) only OS from interface look to behavior. Linux is adult only OS.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

pacho37 wrote:I personally would have enough courage to trust my child makes reasonable choices on the internet without the need for weekly reports.
Otherwise I failed as a parent I think.
Parental quote of the year. It's better to teach the kids the knowledge/skills and raise them with the proper (in the context of the parents' culture, I suppose) attitude - because those things will remain with the child for life, presumably, but the parents won't be around every minute of his/her adult life to continue "protecting."

Err... Yeah, you are right, that's meat for a different thread (and, perhaps, a different website).

On-topic content...? Well, unless your children are like four years old, they probably have the ability to find out more about your OS than you do, lol, and may well end up using its "features" (et cetera) to spy on YOU and, incidentally, depending on the parents in question... to discover all kinds of interesting websites that must be okay, since their parents visit them :roll: .

Getting a list of websites that your child visits would, IMO, maybe be more along the lines of "damage control" than protecting your child. And it may help with certain aspects (I guess?), but the first time you let a child know that you are in any way aware of his/her browsing habits will undoubtedly be the last time that he/she visits such websites... on your computer. But one assumes that he/she has friends. And Jimmy's parents don't even know how to turn their son's computer on, so... We're back to the (maybe not off-topic after all, lol?) bit about raising your kids right and giving them a sense that will allow THEM to make the correct decisions in life. Outside of the "pervs in white vans with candy" variety of trouble, the majority of the questionable things that I read about kids doing... They learned about from other kids (who, probably, still have unfettered access to the Internet at their house).

Getting a list of websites that your child has already emailed to you might let you know when it's (past) time to have "the talk," though. Although the response your child gives you when you tell him/her so might be something like, "Sure, Pop. What do you want to know?" :lol:

I strongly suspect that the real point of having the ability to do this kind of thing is because it's also the ability for the OS to inform Microsoft of what websites that child is visiting. Now... There's probably some kind of thing at "the home server farm" that has the duty of ensuring that certain ads aren't sent to your kids (IOW, if they visit <violates forum rules> sites, Microsoft won't serve your twelve-year old <violates forum rules>-related ads, I'd think). But I figure that there's also enough data available by now that an entity can see what other websites/products that people who visit certain sites are more likely to visit/use/buy - and, yeah, this stuff will also have age data because twelve-year olds will have different data than 90-year olds. You might be thinking, "I'm sure glad I got a list of the websites my child has visited this week, because I can discuss their content with him/her." Microsoft is glad that it got the same list, because it turns out that people who visit websites a, b, c are 27% more likely to decide that they really want product X when presented with ads about it, and children who visit websites g thru j (inclusive) are 52% more likely to have problems with urge-control than children who show no interest in such websites - making that child rank far higher on the list of people to target profitable ads to. Because the entities that purchase ads would have an interest in being able to see results.

It's bad enough when an entity like Google does - or at least has the power to do - things like that (to adults OR kids). But allowing the entity behind the OS that is in the majority of people's homes to have that ability, without putting up a fight? Uh-uh.

Why did Microsoft set the OS up the way it did even though it's easy to change the settings from their default? Because the majority (or at least a significant percentage) of its users probably don't change things from their default unless/until the users encounter problems in the functionality of the OS. And many people skip right over "information screens," especially the lengthy type that are full of "confusing" (to that subset of the population who looked at "word problems" in elementary school and panicked, lol) language. I doubt it's legal (at least I hope it isn't), but Microsoft could probably pop up one of those boxes containing lengthy, convoluted text that had "and the user agrees to strip naked, cover themselves with butter, and run around the block at noon on Sunday" buried somewhere in it, and quite a few people would click the OKAY button :roll: . So they default their OS to do all kinds of bad (IMHO) things, they include pop-ups about them and allow the users to change those defaults, which covers their posteriors in many (perhaps not all) markets in legal terms... and they still have a huge number of computers that their OS is installed on where those defaults are never changed! I think that's quite nasty in every regard but one - but in terms of making a buck, I think it's a great idea. Gee, does anyone know if Microsoft is concerned with making money? :lol:

EDIT: Just to make a lengthy (in some folks eyes) post just a little bit longer: Instead of being happy that the new Microsoft OS allows parents to spy on their kids (I agree that such is the parent's right as a parent - I just think that it, by itself, is pointless), why not encourage parents to introduce their kids to linux, lol? When I was a kid, I was one of a group of about six students who managed to figure out BASIC on a Commodore PET2001 with no documentation that was at my school. We'd have loved modern linux! Most kids are naturally curious and, being kids, are biologically programmed to LEARN. Even those "bad kids" that you wouldn't want yours hanging out with are this way - they're just, by that point, into learning "other stuff..."

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

M$ back-ports Win10 "Features" to Win7 and Win8

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/01 ... a_patches/
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

and there is already a string of articles on removing those couple of win-7 updates. ..
- it's supposed to be "anonymised data" that is sent to the Microsoft server - but even that bothers some folks.

it's all part of the Bing attack on Google's "Now on Tap".
- which is more orientated towards the smartphone, anyway.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Damn, you people are so passionate that you skip over the previous posts and post the same links three or four times. :lol:
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

z31fanatic wrote:

Wow, can't believe I actually read that, if you need this explaining please don't ever get into politics, or parenting.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Lol.

I remember much of my childhood. I don't remember ever having had an expectation that I had a right-to-privacy where my parents were concerned (because they were my parents). What I DO remember is that my activities weren't being monitored by a third party. Many countries/jurisdictions consider someone (or "a corporate entity") invading the privacy of people's children and families to be a legally actionable offense. Here in Redneckville, Pop would have gone swinging (and in a case that involved one of his children, he just might have used a hammer).

Another random thought: Last year, I read about a court decision that read against someone because the judge stated (paraphrasing as best as I can remember) "The person had no right to privacy in this particular case, regardless of the laws, because at this point there is no reasonable expectation of privacy." There was (as usual) some Latin term used. I took it to mean that, if a majority of people give up their right to privacy, the rest of us are screwed.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

z31fanatic wrote:

I think you're missing the bigger picture. Parents do have a responsibility to protect their children from the "darker" parts of the internet, and that's not what is causing the uproar. Since Microsoft has the ability to compile a weekly report on a user's actions, how can we be sure that that report stays between the child and the parent? If they are fully capable of generating a weekly report for a child's actions, this means that they have the capability to spy on everything you do. The only thing preventing Microsoft from compiling these "weekly reports" for all users is their conscience; MS is a faceless corporation, they have no conscience. More likely than not, you signed any right or expectation to privacy away when you installed 10. The user is completely at the mercy of Microsoft. It's hard to describe the situation as anything but Orwellian. We have masses lining up to sign away their privacy, and any expectation of "owning" their computers, so that they can get something "new" and "shiny."

I wish it were the days when theories like these were only fantastical "tin-foil hat" conspiracy theories, instead of something frighteningly real.

mrdachshund86
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

mrdachshund86 wrote:
z31fanatic wrote:

It's been both my experience and observation that, generally speaking, those who passively stand by and allow other entities to control things that they should, by rights, have control over... are the ones who actually have "their heads buried in the sand."
mrdachshund86 wrote:I think you're missing the bigger picture. Parents do have a responsibility to protect their children from the "darker" parts of the internet, and that's not what is causing the uproar. Since Microsoft has the ability to compile a weekly report on a user's actions, how can we be sure that that report stays between the child and the parent? If they are fully capable of generating a weekly report for a child's actions, this means that they have the capability to spy on everything you do.
I know that, in assuming the worst, I could be just as wrong as I could be if assuming the best (albeit, I'm probably much safer - and the odds and the past tend to support me :roll: ), BUT...

At this point, I very seriously doubt that Microsoft cannot set their OS up so that those "weekly reports" are compiled and sent directly to the parent's/administrator's account wholly and completely on the computer in question, without ever having to send any of that information out of the computer via the Internet to Microsoft's servers. I would guess that the only reason that Microsoft does it the way that they do... is that Microsoft wishes to know what websites your children have been visiting, too.

They have no right, IMHO.
mrdachshund86 wrote:The only thing preventing Microsoft from compiling these "weekly reports" for all users is their conscience; MS is a faceless corporation, they have no conscience.
Truer words were never spoken. Corporations exist to make money. For a non computer-related example of what that can mean, see this article about one corporation's effects on my home location (Parkersburg, West Virginia) and its residents (some of you might have heard about a little company called DuPont?):

Code: Select all

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/welcome-to-beautiful-parkersburg/
mrdachshund86 wrote:More likely than not, you signed any right or expectation to privacy away when you installed 10. The user is completely at the mercy of Microsoft. It's hard to describe the situation as anything but Orwellian. We have masses lining up to sign away their privacy, and any expectation of "owning" their computers, so that they can get something "new" and "shiny."

I wish it were the days when theories like these were only fantastical "tin-foil hat" conspiracy theories, instead of something frighteningly real.
It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. I've been reading since I was three or so (I'm not a genius or anything, lol, but my parents never told me that kids aren't supposed to learn to read until they enter school and Dad was always working - and Mom sort of went crazy and into her own nightmare world due to tragedy, so it was either learn to read or create imaginary friends :lol: ), and in the time since then I've read a fair amount of science fiction. It's a bit creepy that some of the "corporate evil" that I read about in the '70s in fiction has now entered the realm of nonfiction.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Oh yeah, all those MS schmucks in Redmond are sitting in their cubicals going through thousands of reports a day from us users because they have nothing else to do. They get off looking at pictures of your dog you posted on Facebook.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

I assume the previous post is an example of sarcasm.

I also assume that it's all done by computer now. They have them at Microsoft, too.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

Return to “Open Chat”