Re: Windows 10 to be free upgrade

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

BigEasy wrote:Hmm. For whom?
Housewives and the elderly, maybe? ;)
I don't know about the occupation of most of the members here, but I do know that some of the members who contribute the most are past 60.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

What if I was an elderly housewife with children you insensitive EDITED BY MODERATOR

Anyway......... You all have a nice day.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

clatterfordslim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clatterfordslim »

Just goes to show that I was right, about Windows 10 being a Legal spyware OS. But now it seems that Windows 7 and 8 are too. It is down to the user, whether or not they install those updates, in Windows 7 and 8, but surely Microsoft should tell you exactly, what the updates you are installing actually do? Instead of cryptic answers when you go to their website for more info on the updates that you are installing. Most of the stuff in the task manager in Windows OS's, that are running in the background, takes up way too many resources, add to that, that no matter how many times you move your mouse, the whole system goes into panic mode. You can see your Anti Virus going into over drive, as just one move of the mouse causes it to say if it could speak
"I don't know what you're doing with that mouse, I got my eye on you"

What was it that Microsoft said in their advert a couple of years ago? "We believe in privacy" Hmm!
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

altair4 wrote:
What if I was an elderly housewife with children you insensitive EDITED BY MODERATOR
Sorry :oops:
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have a friend that I consider to be an expert when it comes to Windows. This guy has repaired and donated over 10,000 computers and laptops to needy kids. On top of that he also fixes computers for extra money on the side. This guy knows Windows! :)

I did some trading with my friend yesterday because I needed a power supply for a Dell I am restoring. I asked him what he thought about Windows 10, he said it was still kind of buggy but there were some things he liked. Rick was a tester all through Windows 10 development and happened to have it installed on a computer he was selling. Rick showed me the difference between copying large files between Windows 10 and Vista, Windows 10 took 9 minutes to do the job, Vista took 26 minutes! Both computers used had identical hardware with the exception of RAM, the Vista machine had 6 GB and the Windows 10 machine had 3 GB.

I asked him about the spy ware and he said he used a third party app to turn it all off. I asked Rick why he thought Windows 10 was still buggy because I thought it was running good on the computer he had it set up on. He said what he did not like was the amount of updates and the size of some of them. Rick felt Windows 10 was not mature enough yet for day to day use on a system you depend on to just work.

Rick uses Linux Live CD's to fix Windows machines from time to time but he does not really know Linux. I help him when it comes to Linux and he does the same for me when it comes to Windows. Rick is conservative when it comes to new releases, he tests them very thoroughly before deciding to roll out machines with a new release. I am not a Windows fan myself but when this guy says there are still bugs that need attention he knows what he is talking about.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

The fact you cannot turn off updates in Win 10 home, and only delay them in Win 10 Pro to me is a non starter.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Now can turn off updates in Win 10 home.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/wind ... dows-store

BTW. I can't imagine how many would be screaming guys (and housewifes too :mrgreen: ) back in 2001 if Microsoft allowed free upgrade from Win98 to XP.
Let me guess any of those who wrote negative about Windows 10 (1,5 months after release) now, in past switched to XP probably after at least one year.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

BigEasy wrote:Now can turn off updates in Win 10 home.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/wind ... dows-store
Doesn't that imply that apps from the store will not get auto updates? The OS updates are the ones of big concern.

I made a clean install of W10 on a Lenovo G50. The install with drivers and all went fast and smooth but turned downhill with the privacy issues, forced updates, etc. Getting rid of Bing and the searches default was easy thanks to Mozilla doing some work in advance of the release: install FF, make it the default browser and set it to use your search engine of choice "Hey Cortana - what do you think of that?"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11 ... h_feature/

It can also be done with Chrome but you will need to install extensions.

http://www.howtogeek.com/226638/make-th ... d-of-bing/

I always thought the thing Windows did best was solitaire but Windows 10 really screwed that up.

Even if you do not use Windows you need to be aware of the WiFiSense nonsense. Linux users can be affected by this; say you allow a visitor with Windows to access WiFi. That access code is stored by Microsoft and can be shared (unseen) with your visitor's contacts - you can ask they turn off sharing but that can't stop them from turning it back on later. So the safest thing to do is add _optout to the SSID and expect MS to not share (no matter what). I changed mine to WifiSenseUgh_optout so when someone discovers it we can have a little dialogue - I think MS invented this so people wouldn't need to talk.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/30 ... _fi_sense/

I am so thankful for Linux and this experience was just a reminder of why I would not want to be without it.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

still don't follow this WiFiSense thing:
- why would anyone want to "share" their WiFi password :?:

if they are a family member - maybe so - but for anyone else that came into your house :?:
- NoWay :? why do that :?:

they should have thier own SmartPhone / Tablet + it's connection:
- so why do they need to use yours :?:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Crewp wrote:The fact you cannot turn off updates in Win 10 home, and only delay them in Win 10 Pro to me is a non starter.
I've been running Windows 10 for well over a month now, and the updates have been fast, flawless and install extremely fast (unlike they did on older versions of windows) so for that reason, i don't mind the automatic updates at all...

Also, i find that it runs really well...i am sure it will get even better as time goes by and the updates continue to come in, but at this point, for me, it is a highly usable system and i think the nicest version of windows i have ever used... :D

The new system of having the updates go through microsoft testing first then insider's fast ring then insider's slow ring then FINALLY to the general user works well to ensure that updates will be extremely reliable and trouble free and from what i see so far, it's working :wink:
Last edited by craig10x on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Is there a human in nature who not started using MAC filter yet? Before even Windows 7?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

What does that have to do with Windows 10 being a free upgrade?

To answer your question, no I've never used a MAC filter on Windows 7. I'm regularly out in nature (well, city park but there are wild squirrels, hedgehogs, and bunnies so I'd call it nature). I only use Windows at work, where they pay me to do so.

Anyway, is this topic even going anywhere or should we just close it.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

xenopeek wrote:To answer your question, no I've never used a MAC filter on Windows 7.
Let me tell MAC filter used not on Windows (or Linuxes) but on routers. Sorry. Let's speak about free upgrade now.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Pierre wrote:they should have thier own SmartPhone / Tablet + it's connection:
Some have only wifi on the laptop and have to connect via router. Others with phone have a data plan that they must pay for and use wifi when available because it is free and often much faster.

@craig10x not everyone disagrees with the policy but talk to someone that say gets updates from nVidia automatically that is a newer driver version than the one supplied by MS. They are thrown into an endless reboot loop as one driver keeps trying to replace the other.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... ome-users/

BTW if anyone thinks MS is giving this upgrade because they are nice and have your best interest at heart think again. Think about selling smartphones and tablets - Microsoft is.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

xenopeek wrote:What does that have to do with Windows 10 being a free upgrade?

To answer your question, no I've never used a MAC filter on Windows 7. I'm regularly out in nature (well, city park but there are wild squirrels, hedgehogs, and bunnies so I'd call it nature). I only use Windows at work, where they pay me to do so.

Anyway, is this topic even going anywhere or should we just close it.

Yes, please close this thread as it is going around in circles.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Crewp wrote:
xenopeek wrote:... Anyway, is this topic even going anywhere or should we just close it.
+1
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Reorx wrote:
Crewp wrote:
xenopeek wrote:... Anyway, is this topic even going anywhere or should we just close it.
+1
Now we are - at least - 4.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Cosmo. wrote: Now we are - at least - 4.
Make that a 5. :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

Pierre wrote:still don't follow this WiFiSense thing:
- why would anyone want to "share" their WiFi password :?:

if they are a family member - maybe so - but for anyone else that came into your house :?:
- NoWay :? why do that :?:

they should have thier own SmartPhone / Tablet + it's connection:
You invited guest to your house and you want them to have your wifi password. It seems many people rely on the automatic setting of their router with a wifi key rather than set their own password. So you got a password like Az78Yo9if to remember. It seems common for ISP that sells/give modem-router, and here at least, they put a sticker on the router on which they write the password key.
So for these people, it might make sense.

I still think it's a bad feature in Windows though, there are more risks than benefits.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM

Return to “Open Chat”