Solid state drive optimization

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Solid state drive optimization

Post by siawacsh »

Hi, I recently installed Mint 17.2 on a new Kingston Hyper X Savage solid state drive (240 gigs) and heard that I must optimize it if I am to avail of it's full benefits. I still have my western digital 250 disk drive with 17.0 Quiana on it. Snce my personal data will be on my disk drive I dedicated the whole SSD to / with ex4 partition. I started with the tutorials presented by the first link. However, once I went through all the steps presented therein my system would not boot. I would get a black screen with a load of messages which I was not able to log.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd

Then I read through this tutorial which seems to allow my system more stability.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1366

Basically I edited fstab with noatime

According to the Mint tutorial I don't need a swap partition as long as I kept the swap on my disk drive. But in accordance with the first link I also created 10% unallocated space on the SSD.

The Mint tutorial suggests I do not need to mess with the scheduler as long as these two commands give the required output

siawacsh@siawacsh-sager ~ $ sudo cat /sys/block/sdb/queue/rotational

siawacsh@siawacsh-sager ~ $ sudo cat /sys/block/sdb/queue/scheduler
noop [deadline] cfq

noop is supposed to be better for a system with two drives.

I then set Firefox browser cache to zero.

Finally, I disabled hibernation

sudo mv -v /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla /

My system worked this way for two days before it crashed again this morning. I would not boot but this time with a simpler black screen. The error message was

"an error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb"

I had to reinstall 17.2. I have a fresh machine.

Any feedback on the above, especially the meaning of the above crash would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
niowluka

Re: Solid state drive optimization

Post by niowluka »

siawacsh wrote:I had to reinstall 17.2. I have a fresh machine.
Leave it at that and just enjoy.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

This is a strange error, which I don't think is related to any SSD optimizations that I describe on my website:
"an error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb"

Is your SSD running on the latest firmware for it?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Considering the drive is new I am assuming it should be using the latest firmware. I did not see anything to that effect on the Kindgston website. But I will contact them and see. BTW, if I clean up the / partition of my disk drive I will lose the swap. Do you think that will impact my system. negatively?

siawach
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

Interesting topic since i'm very interested in fine-tuning my SSD drive.

Looked at that google website and looked at other websites and i did spotted a difference: that google website suggest not to put discard in the fstab file while other sites suggest to put discard in the fstab line, both the Mint Community link as well the how-to-geek site and many more. IMHO this works confussing for users who are having a SSD drive in their system for the first time. What do the need to do? Discard in fstab yes or no?

Could this maybe be the source of the topic starters system failure?
ralphy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ralphy »

noatime advantages and disadvantages has its arguments both ways so I will not get into it. I simply leave fstab configuration alone whenever possible. Those changes (with a small mistake) is probably what made the system un-bootable. There are other things you can do to optimize your SSD drive. I tend to go the easy way...

1- SSDs have long life expectancy nowadays so files and folders time stamps shouldn't be considered a detrimental factor. (Meaning I don't mess with fstab myself for SSD optimization - take it for what it is).
2- Linux Mint has (out of the box) a weekly cron to trim SSD drives. Not sure how you use the system but to run out of disk space before the next trim command is executed you really have to pass some GB worth of data through the drive on daily basis. The again, you can move the cronjob from weekly to daily execution if needed.
3- The very few things I do for my SSD installs (you do your own research on these but I consider them 'safe' and suitable for me).

$ sudo apt-get install vim
Install preload

$ sudo apt-get install preload
Make preload track more processes (uses more resources in the system but then again I don't like free RAM sitting idle doing nothing - cache and preload as much as possible into RAM)

sudo vi /etc/preload.conf
#minsize = 2000000
minsize = 1000000

sudo service preload restart

Scheduler: noop (you changed this already so you know how to do it)

Edit /etc/sysctl.conf

sudo vi /etc/sysctl.conf
# add at the bottom of the file
vm.dirty_writeback_centisecs=6000
vm.swappiness=10
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50

sudo sysctl -p
or even better, reboot.

Note that applying these changes to your system will make it use more resources (specifically RAM). User case may vary so do your own research.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Here you are Pjotr,
Pjotr wrote:Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- Launch a terminal window (this is how to launch a terminal window);
- make the terminal window full screen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
=============================================================================================================

siawacsh@siawacsh-sager ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: siawacsh-sager Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   System: CLEVO product: D900F version: A0
           Mobo: CLEVO model: D900F version: 1.0 Bios: Phoenix version: 6.00 date: 05/20/2010
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7 CPU 920 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 21332.8 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1596.00 MHz 2: 1596.00 MHz 3: 1596.00 MHz 4: 1596.00 MHz 5: 1596.00 MHz 6: 1596.00 MHz 7: 1596.00 MHz 8: 1995.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G92M [GeForce GTX 280M] bus-ID: 03:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1920x1200@61.7hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 280M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.76 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1: Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Card-2: C-Media Audio Adapter (Planet UP-100 Genius G-Talk) driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 002-007 
           Card-3: Logitech driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 006-002 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 07:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller 
           driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 490.1GB (27.5% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500BEVT size: 250.1GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: KINGSTON_SHSS37A size: 240.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 197G used: 17G (9%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.43GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.8C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:58C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 237 Uptime: 4:24 Memory: 2196.7/5960.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
siawacsh@siawacsh-sager ~ $
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Hello Ralph, I specifically purchased the SSD for virtualization. I am using a good few widoz apps such as photoshop, illustrator and assortment of lesser known apps. I just do not want abandon Linux. I have six gigs of ram and split memory allocation between Virtualbox and native Mint. I really do not want to tax the memory any more than I have to.

Siawacsh
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

In the BIOS, is the SSD on top of the boot priority list *for HDD's*?
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Yes, the BIOS has the SSD as the first boot device.

Siawacsh
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

My mint 17.2 crashed again after only two days, with the exact same error message

an error occurred while mounting /proc/bus/usb"

To be fair, I have two dead USB ports. But cannot see why Mint cannot work with the remaining two working ports. OR why dead ports would destabilize the whole system. I cleaned up my old disk drive and reinstalled Mint 17.2 on that. What I am going to do now is to work with 17.2 on my old disk drive for the next ten days or so. If the system remains stable for that duration, I know the SSD optimization was causing the problem. If this also crashes with the same message, then I know to look elsewhere.

Siawacsh
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

siawacsh wrote:To be fair, I have two dead USB ports.
That sounds bad.... Have you already done a visual inspection of your motherboard (if at all possible on your laptop)? Check for bulging elco's, like on the picture below (click on it to enlarge it):

Elco's (condensators) should have a flat head, not a bulging head. Note that on the picture, of the five big elco's, only one is still intact.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

No I have not looked at the motherboard. If I am correct, you seem to be saying my motherboard is faulty. Fortunately, on this particular laptop (sager NP 9280) there is a separate USB board that slots into the motherboard. In fact, one USB board is on it's way to me right now. So I have to come back to my earlier conclusion.That is, if my current system working with the mechanical disk remains stable, my suspicions come back to the SSD optimization.

The pictures you posted are very intriguing. How do you think those capacitors bulge out like that? Is it heat?

Siawacsh
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

siawacsh wrote:there is a separate USB board that slots into the motherboard. In fact, one USB board is on it's way to me right now.
That's good.... I'm curious as to what effect that'll have on the current error.
The pictures you posted are very intriguing. How do you think those capacitors bulge out like that? Is it heat?
It's a picture of one of my own motherboards, now safely retired to the chemical waste dump..... The cause is chemical rot, unrelated to heat.
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

Forget the motherboard suggestion. Take a look at these links first before replacing expensive hardware for nothing:
https://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2010 ... -to-lucid/
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost9212523
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubuntu ... -04-a.html

By the looks of these 3 posts, it seems to be an fstab issue and not a motheroard issue. Just a hint pjotr, search the internet first before jumping to baseless conclusions pushing other users towards the wrong direction.

Ah yes, here the link for google:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=an+error ... 2&ie=UTF-8

@ Siawacsh:
can you post the output of this terminal command:

cat /etc/fstab
Since every solution points out to a wrong line in the fstab and not to hardware...
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

@ Ron-N,

steady on there chap! I am no Linux expert (but pretty good on the Windows platform) but odd BSOD's/blackscreens are often pretty hard to track down and Pjtor was just thinking out loud, siawacsh already had a new USB board on-route (i guess due to the faulty ones) before Pjtor gave his advice. I have no advice like your own good suggestions, but just found the tone of your last post a little over the top and hope we can all help find a solution for siawacsh. Hopefully it is as 'easy' as just a software issue, and not a more expensive hardware one.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Well, I am still using my disk drive with default settings and have experienced no problems. Especially none of that USB error. So my gut feeling is tending towards what Ron-N is suggesting as in FSTAB.

Ron-N, if I was to output the FSTAB settings it would be only for the current disk drive and NOT the solid state.

My disk drive is sda and the solid state is sdb and the root partition of sdb is on sdb1

siawacsh@siawacsh-sager ~ $     cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=d07155fe-e6d8-4756-93d2-fe1db2ab3812 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=6b5e05c2-f17d-49ad-8eea-33961a1bb7d3 /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=de9dd3d6-196c-4477-af08-3e2a3dea2b4a none            swap    sw              0       0
siawacsh@siawacsh-sager ~ $ 

I do remember pjotr instructions suggested placing "noatime" against my sdb1 as in

UUID=d07155fe-e6d8-4756-93d2-fe1db2ab3812 /               ext4 noatime   errors=remount-ro 0       1
I now see Mint is suggesting each none swap partition must have noatime AND discard.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1366

/       ext4 defaults,noatime,discard 0    1

I recently read this article which suggests the best file system for solid state drives is xfs NOT ext4

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/8 ... stallation

I know pjotr heart is in the right place. But at the same time it's been a lot of hassle reinstalling my OS. I also feel, beside disabling hibernation, there is a good chance the other steps presented on google site is probably unnecessary. But I am no expert.
siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

Here is the fstab output of my solid state drive

siawacsh@siawacsh-sager /media/siawacsh/62e02e0d-184f-40a0-a0a4-b32f830eca8d/etc $ sudo cat fstab
[sudo] password for siawacsh: 
#
#
# / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=62e02e0d-184f-40a0-a0a4-b32f830eca8d /               ext4    noatime errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=de9dd3d6-196c-4477-af08-3e2a3dea2b4a none            swap    sw              0       0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=125,devmode=664 0 0
siawacsh@siawacsh-sager /media/siawacsh/62e02e0d-184f-40a0-a0a4-b32f830eca8d/etc $ 

siawacsh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by siawacsh »

I don't know why the header of this thread is showing [SOLVED] when it is NOT. I am still searching around for a definitive tutorial on how to optimize my SSD without loss of stability.

I have rebuilt my system with XFS
disabled hibernation.
and edited fstab thus

#
#
# / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
UUID=25c71371-e8d8-4650-b33b-d9823c21a876 /               xfs     defaults ,noatime,  discard 0    1        

please let me know if you see something wrong. This is a fresh install so it will take a while to see if this works or not.

Return to “Beginner Questions”