[Solved] No wallpaper and no menu's

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jk121960

[Solved] No wallpaper and no menu's

Post by jk121960 »

Hi something happened and I have no working menu although the task bar shows the wallpapers are gone,the menu is also gone. The UI is not frozen per say as the mouse still functions and because of shortcuts I can open browsers, does someone have an idea of what this is? If I have to reinstall part of the desktop can someone instruct me as to packages to reinstall, hopefully I can save some of my setup but any help is good help.

thanks in advance I appreciate any help that someone can give for this

Sorry Mint kde 17.2, desktop not laptop
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pacho37

Re: No wallpaper and no menu's

Post by pacho37 »

hi there jk121960

if nothing else works, you can try to restore KDE desktop to 'factory' settings. To do that go to your home folder and choose 'show hidden files' option in your file browser.
You will see the folder named .kde - delete it. Of course as usual in such cases backing up your data is strongly recommended.
jk121960

Post by jk121960 »

Hi and thanks for that, but this is more then just settings, this is not giving menu's at all, on the task bar or the desktop nothing, Wallpapers are not showing and becuase of the missing menu's you can't check it. I guess what I need is to reinstall that portion of the desktop, how can I do that? Like reinstall?

thanks for any help
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

Unfortunately i don't know how to install that particular portion of KDE. To install KDE in it's entirety you can give 'sudo apt-get install kde-full' a try.
Should install all missing packages.
jk121960

Post by jk121960 »

Thanks I was hoping to not lose a lot of settings but apparently that isn't going to happen

thanks for all the help
jk121960

Post by jk121960 »

I bbacked up the settings folder and reinstalled kde-full and the problem still exists, I can see that it is now default but the taskbar has no menu function and the desktop has not menu function and the wallpaper does show but only on one of the 2 screens.

I would appreciate any help with this, I do not want to have to rebuild this box

thanks for any help
jk121960

Re: [Solved] No wallpaper and no menu's

Post by jk121960 »

After a couple of physical reboots and applying the old settings folder I seemed to have gotten it back, thanks for all the help

Return to “Software & Applications”