Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mintybits

Re: Your opinions on Windows 10 so far..

Post by mintybits »

Oh and while I am spitting ( :P ) I forgot to remind us all that it is Microsoft that, through greed and technical negligence, made the so-called "computer virus" a global, household term. With Windows 10 we now have viruses and surveillance combined. Nice.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

mintybits wrote: Who are you? Your responses are very defensive about Microsoft
I defend common sense and point out hypocrisy which you have in abundance.

Oh and of course, when you put the $$$$$$ sign in MS's name, it makes your posts much more legit. :lol:
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Before this thread goes nuclear I will add my .02 cents in about Microsoft $oftware - Especially Window$10.

Many of my service calls right now involve my clients wanting Window$10 off their system. They want to get back to win7 and have nothing to do with 10. I do not blame them either. I would rather gouge my eyes out with rusty forks than run window$8.x/10 on my equipment.

Personally, I equate window$ on a computer to owning farmland on the Ukraine/Russian boarder. lol...

Oh, yes, Almost forgot - I use $ signs in window$ name also. Have been since 98 came out. Should that be an irritant to some here then perhaps the linux forums are not for you.

Linux Rocks.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

coffee412 wrote:
Oh, yes, Almost forgot - I use $ signs in window$ name also. Have been since 98 came out. Should that be an irritant to some here .
It doesn't irritate me one bit. In fact it makes me think that your post is more legit than those who don't use it.

:lol:

BTW, how do you get your clients back to W7? I am curious what method you use.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

coffee412 wrote: Linux Rocks.
Don't think anyone was questioning that. :wink:
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

z31fanatic wrote:
coffee412 wrote:
Oh, yes, Almost forgot - I use $ signs in window$ name also. Have been since 98 came out. Should that be an irritant to some here .
It doesn't irritate me one bit. In fact it makes me think that your post is more legit than those who don't use it.

:lol:

BTW, how do you get your clients back to W7? I am curious what method you use.
There is a 30 day back out available. Go to settings in window$10 and then updates and you will see the option to revert back to the previous operating system. The previous operating system is stored in c:\oldwindows or something similar.

Have a good one.
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I knew that because I used that method on one of my machines. I was just curious if you had them install 7 from scratch.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

So, the moral of the story is that "Microsoft Is Evil", except of course when you need to game...

Oh, okay...

:roll: x 1000
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

MartyMint wrote:So, the moral of the story is that "Microsoft Is Evil", except of course when you need to game...

Oh, okay...

Where you been?

M$ has always been evil.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

z31fanatic wrote:I knew that because I used that method on one of my machines. I was just curious if you had them install 7 from scratch.
Whats really fun is if you have antivirus running and you do the win10 upgrade :) They didnt even get that right. There is a way to fix it but thats for some window$ forum not here. :)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

People that use antivirus deserve to be infected with malware and viruses. It means they are careless users. :twisted:
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

coffee412 wrote:I use $ signs in window$ name also.
That is understandable...
coffee412 wrote:my service calls
Because it obviously makes you money :lol: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

coffee412 wrote:
MartyMint wrote:So, the moral of the story is that "Microsoft Is Evil", except of course when you need to game...

Oh, okay...

Where you been?

M$ has always been evil.
I can agree with that (maybe a bit exaggerated), but more precisely, M$ is hateful, greedy, monopolistic, treacherous, and so on...

I saw Windows 10 in a laptop (not mine), I'm not convinced is anyway better than 7, 8 and 8.1.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

xfrank wrote:
coffee412 wrote:

Oh, okay...

Where you been?

M$ has always been evil.
I can agree with that (maybe a bit exaggerated), but more precisely, M$ is hateful, greedy, monopolistic, treacherous, and so on...

I saw Windows 10 in a laptop (not mine), I'm not convinced is anyway better than 7, 8 and 8.1.

Totally agree with you. So glad we have linux.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Windows 10 = garbage.
'nuf said.
reddot

Post by reddot »

z31fanatic wrote:People that use antivirus deserve to be infected with malware and viruses. It means they are careless users. :twisted:
LOL, well my friend asked my if i can fix his windows 8.1 machine, apparently AVG anti-virus thought his sound drivers were a virus, so AVG deleted it and was not in quarantine :lol: :lol: :lol:
was a common problem with AVG, antivirus does not protect you, when you open a window the bugs, snakes, and leaping lions attack.
I dont have time for windows, i forced him to reinstall hahaha

i recommend linux and virtual box windows behind a really good VPN and tor browser. jk :roll: :roll: :roll:
hey you can even disable internet connection and play games
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

z31fanatic wrote:People that use antivirus deserve to be infected with malware and viruses. It means they are careless users. :twisted:
There must be quite a few careless users in the open source world, then, because there are a number of anti-virus applications that were written to run under linnux :roll: .

There also appear to be various types of malware in the linux world. Yes, linux is generally (far) safer an OS than Microsoft's alternatives - but to state or otherwise infer that linux is malware-free appears to have done more harm than good, for it causes people to operate under a false sense of security. Even Red Hat used to contribute to the problem by stating that Fedora was "virus-free" - but they no longer make that statement, it turns out.

Code: Select all

https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/03/26/dont-believe-these-four-myths-about-linux-security/
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2008/02/13/botnets-a-free-tool-and-6-years-of-linuxrst-b/?cmp=70130000001xKqzAAE&utm_source=blogs.sophos.com&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fblogs.sophos.com%2F2015%2F03%2F26%2Fdont-believe-these-four-myths-about-linux-security%2F
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/11/27/flaming-retort-linux-rootkit-news-provides-some-comic-relief/?cmp=70130000001xKqzAAE&utm_source=blogs.sophos.com&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fblogs.sophos.com%2F2015%2F03%2F26%2Fdont-believe-these-four-myths-about-linux-security%2F
Your linux-running server might be a part of someone's botnet, lol.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/spam-blasting-malware-infects-thousands-of-linux-and-freebsd-servers/
IIRC, there was a very large botnet discovered either earlier this year or sometime last year which consisted solely of computers running linux (I believe that much of that population was home (non-server) use computers, BtW), that actually accomplished some (arguably) useful work. Still, a botnet is a botnet :lol: ....

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
reddot

Post by reddot »

MtnDewManiac wrote: There also appear to be various types of malware in the linux world. Yes, linux is generally (far) safer an OS than Microsoft's alternatives - but to state or otherwise infer that linux is malware-free appears to have done more harm than good, for it causes people to operate under a false sense of security. Even Red Hat used to contribute to the problem by stating that Fedora was "virus-free" - but they no longer make that statement, it turns out.

https://blogs.sophos.com/2015/03/26/dont-believe-these-four-myths-about-linux-security/
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2008/02/13/botnets-a-free-tool-and-6-years-of-linuxrst-b/?cmp=70130000001xKqzAAE&utm_source=blogs.sophos.com&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fblogs.sophos.com%2F2015%2F03%2F26%2Fdont-believe-these-four-myths-about-linux-security%2F
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/11/27/flaming-retort-linux-rootkit-news-provides-some-comic-relief/?cmp=70130000001xKqzAAE&utm_source=blogs.sophos.com&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fblogs.sophos.com%2F2015%2F03%2F26%2Fdont-believe-these-four-myths-about-linux-security%2F
Your linux-running server might be a part of someone's botnet, lol.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/04/spam-blasting-malware-infects-thousands-of-linux-and-freebsd-servers/
Regards,
MDM
thanks MDM, links were very informative!!!
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

reddot wrote:i recommend linux and virtual box windows behind a really good VPN and tor browser. jk :roll: :roll: :roll:
hey you can even disable internet connection and play games
Containing Windows 10 in VBox is a great idea if your PC is up to it. Unless you want to play graphics-intensive games. You still need to be careful about shared folders and network access if you happen to use Samba shares. Use a different password for W10.
The MS EULA for Windows 10 basically says they can slurp whatever data from your PC(s) that they like and you agree to let them. Given that MS have not defined any boundaries you cannot trust the privacy of any data that Windows 10 can access. So if you have data that you do not want MS to access then best to prevent the possibility.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I reserved a week ago.. when does the actual update happen? It doesn't give any status updates, it just sais "it's ready when we say it's ready".. :roll:

Return to “Open Chat”