How to prevent a program from taking Thunar's place?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdysthe

How to prevent a program from taking Thunar's place?

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

I am relatively new to Mint XFCE, so please bear with me if what I am asking should be obvious.

I am having a problem with files association, especially with regards to Thunar. I installed the program "EasyTag". Now when I select "open directory" from the Firefox download manager EasyTag opens instead of the file manager, Thunar. When I uninstall "EasyTag" Thunar opens again like it should. How do I change this so that another program doesn't take over from Thunar's like this?

It would also be good to know where the file associations are stored. Is it a config file somewhere which could be edited with an editor?

//C
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: How to prevent a program from taking Thunar's place?

Post by Husse »

This is something that Firefox does - not the operating system regardless of where FF is installed
In FF Edit> Preferences > Applications
Then edit what you want "EasyTag" to do
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Husse wrote:This is something that Firefox does - not the operating system regardless of where FF is installed
In FF Edit> Preferences > Applications
Then edit what you want "EasyTag" to do
Thanks. I can't find any reference to EasyTag in the "Applications" settings in Firefox. Also, what is supposed to happen is that Thunar should open with the directory holding the download. As long as EasyTag isn't installed that is what happens, but as soon as I install EasyTag it opens instead of Thunar. I was wondering how EasyTag changes that setting. It's not in Firefox it seems.

//C
zaheermk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zaheermk »

I've also noticed this happening in my friend's system with Ubuntu. For him, after installing Easytag, when he tries to open the file manager from the menu, Easytag opens up.

Don't exactly know... but I am inclined to think that it is a bug.

But, try entering 'thunar' and 'easytag' in the Terminal to open them one by one, and see what happens to confirm if Easytag overwrites the thunar command contents.

Return to “Xfce”